Thread: Macro Question

Macro Question

As a lot of you know, there are way too many abilities in our spell books now! I don't think shamans have got it bad, but I would still like to free up some space on my action bars. Can anyone please mention or link to me useful macros that can enhance my play style? I'm playing as enhance.

Also, I would like to know if there is anyway to create a macro that allows me to prioritize Elemental Blast and Lightning Bolt into one macro. I want to be able to cast Elemental Blast when my Maelstrom Weapon is up and cast Lightning bolt when Elemental Blast is on cool down, all in one macro.

Hypothetically speaking, let's just pretend that I have horrible luck having Maelstrom Weapon build up and Elemental Blast comes back off cool down and is ready for use, I want the macro to execute another Elemental Blast and not Lightning Bolt.

I just want to lessen the amount of buttons that I would need to prioritize, thanks in advance.

Deleted
    If such a macro is possible, there will probably be bugs with it, resulting in you doing less DPS..

Oh wow, I didn't even realize that macros can bug out. I guess it's still worth a shot though, although I'm pretty bad at knowing what to put it for the macro, any pro macro makers around to help me out?

Macros can't check for whether or not an ability is on CD, so there's not really any way to do exactly what you're looking for. You basically have two imperfect options:

Code:
    #showtooltip
    /castsequence reset=6 Elemental Blast, Lightning Bolt, Lightning Bolt

Note that the reset=6 is sort of an arbitrary length of time, and 6s is probably the wrong one to pick, but I don't play Enh, so I don't know the average time between MW stacks. Castsequence reset starts after your last press, not your first, so you can't just use the CD of EB (12s). You have to sort of estimate how long you think you have between max MW stacks. The reason this macro is imperfect is you could potentially have a situation where you don't get enough stacks of MW in the 6s after casting EB, at which point the macro would try to cast EB again, but it's on CD for another 6s. You could also run into a situation where EB and MW are up 3s after your last LB cast, and you have to sit there and wait 3 more seconds for the macro to reset so you can cast EB.

Code:
    #showtooltip
    /cast [mod:shift] Lightning Bolt; Elemental Blast

This is a simple modifier macro, and probably your better option. It will cast EB by default, and cast LB if you hold down shift. You can change the modifier to ctrl or alt, as well. The reason I put it in that order is it will track your EB CD on the icon on your bar that way. If you want to switch them, I would recommend either doing #showtooltip Elemental Blast as the first line or if you use WeakAuras, Power Auras, or Tell Me When, you can track the CD on EB with one of those.

No, you won't be able to macro that in a satisfactory manner, you're better casting them all individually. At best you might be able to build a /castsequence macro but that will not be any more effective.
    I think you just need to slow down on your mashing of Lightning Bolt to allow you proper prioritisation of Elemental Blast. You're better spending your time practicing than looking for a macro for this.

If you're looking to cut down on buttons, there are probably other things you can macro combinations for instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartho View Post
    "Shaman are complaining again guys, shall we look at them a bit more closely? Maybe there's some truth in what these people are saying...."

"Meh, let's just buff chain heal and healing rain then go have some lunch."

"Okey dokey!"

The short answer is no.

Macros cannot check for buffs, so there's no way to macro a check for 5x MW and then have it pick Elemental Blast over Lightning Bolt.

If you are having trouble remembering to use EB when you have 5 stacks of MW, you're better off getting WeakAuras or TellMeWhen and setting a visual indicator to remind you.
    Author, Hekili, a priority helper addon.