Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    If you're under the legal limit, what's the problem?
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    The mere fact that you (and millions of other people) even ask such a question is indicative of a huge problem of general ignorance and foolishness.

It is irrelevant what the legal limit is, alcohol in any quantity impairs driving ability. Why drink at all if you intend to drive before all the alcohol is out of your system?

The legal alcohol limit isn't a number that says "below this limit alcohol has zero effect on your driving ability". The legal alcohol limit is simply the number at which the law will actually do something about it. The only reason the limit is not zero is that it would require the cops and legal system to go to massive measures to clamp down on all those morons who think that 1 or 2 drinks is ok, and, simply put, the cost and effort to employ a zero tolerance approach is not justified when one considers how else those resources could be employed. In simple terms, for 10% of the effort they can solve 90% of the problem, so they don't bother to spend the other 90%.

Only a fool would conclude that just because it is below the legal limit it is ok.
    Last edited by Raelbo; 2014-01-23 at 07:07 AM.

It's the nanny state's dream to babysit and monitor everyone everywhere. Hey 1984 is comin 'round the corner!

Do you really want government so large and so big they have the power to monitor everyone 24/7? At what point can you just admit and say...well I have faith in my fellow man. It's like that TSA south park episode. Do you want government to wipe your ass for you? Kiss you goodnight? The fact is if you want to live in a democracy and free country, you have to trust your fellow man and not insitute and regulate everything under the sun.

Here are some other questions that will NEED to be addressed by the government.
    -What about cellphones and talking? It's been proven that having any conversation, hands free or not impairs driving. NO TALKING ALOUD AT ALL in the vehicle
    -Expanding on the first one, more distractions lead to greater risk of accidents, only yourself can be present in the vehicle. One person limit
    -Hazardous conditions are responsible for accidents as well, there will be no driving when raining or snowing
    Fuck it, let's just get rid of the persons freedom to drive, all the prawns must take public transportation

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Foosha View Post
    Fuck it, let's just get rid of the persons freedom to drive, all the prawns must take public transportation
    There can be even another argument that even the nanny state really doesn't want you to be safe, just wants you think that way in order for a restrictive few, that are in charge, to gain on it.

It's a given fact that cruise controll system on cars reduces the ammount of highway accidents by a lot, via keeping the car in the lane, breaking for you and adapting the speed to the traffic. So why not implement the system as defaut or required on all cars sold in countries that have a lot of highways?! Because money!

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    The mere fact that you (and millions of other people) even ask such a question is indicative of a huge problem of general ignorance and foolishness.

It is irrelevant what the legal limit is, alcohol in any quantity impairs driving ability. Why drink at all if you intend to drive before all the alcohol is out of your system?

The legal alcohol limit isn't a number that says "below this limit alcohol has zero effect on your driving ability". The legal alcohol limit is simply the number at which the law will actually do something about it. The only reason the limit is not zero is that it would require the cops and legal system to go to massive measures to clamp down on all those morons who think that 1 or 2 drinks is ok, and, simply put, the cost and effort to employ a zero tolerance approach is not justified when one considers how else those resources could be employed. In simple terms, for 10% of the effort they can solve 90% of the problem, so they don't bother to spend the other 90%.

Only a fool would conclude that just because it is below the legal limit it is ok.
    Mmm I love the passive aggressive nannying.

Unless they're churning out waves of hundreds of newly minted drunk ass drivers from this new pub, then it's no different than the hundreds of other pubs in the country churning out existing drunk drivers now is it?

What makes this one suddenly so special? If someone's going to get wasted and hit the streets, they'll find a way to get wasted and hit the streets.

10+ Year Old Account
    "drink-driving..." Britain's terms for things continues to adhere to things I would have otherwise made up to mock said aforementioned general naming trends.

At any rate...

First and foremost it's worth noting that the "legal limit" is not some magical break point where you suddenly can't control yourself and in which .01% point less concentration would have otherwise granted you complete control of your faculties.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Now everybody calm down and start envying the genius who is currently buying 8 cars and a taxi firm license.
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Mmm I love the passive aggressive nannying.

Unless they're churning out waves of hundreds of newly minted drunk ass drivers from this new pub, then it's no different than the hundreds of other pubs in the country churning out existing drunk drivers now is it?

What makes this one suddenly so special? If someone's going to get wasted and hit the streets, they'll find a way to get wasted and hit the streets.
    Ah yes, the whole "well if someone wants to murder a mall full of people, there's nothing you can do to stop them" argument. Now tastefully reflavored into drunk driving conversation.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    First and foremost it's worth noting that the "legal limit" is not some magical break point where you suddenly can't control yourself and in which .01% point less concentration would have otherwise granted you complete control of your faculties.
    I'm glad someone else felt the need to point that out, because I'm so fucking stupid.

A pint of your typical beer isn't going to have any measurable effect on a normal adult human being, even less if you're consuming food at the same time as that's going to inhibit absorption. There simply isn't enough alcohol in it.

http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/alerts/l/blnaa35.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Ah yes, the whole "well if someone wants to murder a mall full of people, there's nothing you can do to stop them" argument. Now tastefully reflavored into drunk driving conversation.
    I suppose we should go with the "a pub at the side of a motorway is going to lead to an epidemic of people slaughtering each other on the roads" argument. Because apparently that's more reasonable.

Oh no! We are placing responsibility in the hands of the people to have enough common sense to not drink and drive!

Quickly, let's get the government to ban this place or create a law to ban any such future places from existing because we the people are not capable of doing anything for ourselves! We the people are incapable of making smart decisions about our lives and therefore, we need the government to guide us!

Give me break. This motorway pub will have little to no effect on the drunk driving statistics. People will still drink. People will still drive while intoxicated. People will still be killed in drunk-driving related incidents. The location of this pub is irrelevant. All alcohol consumption involves driving to and from a venue at some point. What happens in between is up to the individual.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Call me out on it if I'm wrong but the "Pub" seems more like a similar establishment to a TGI Fridays then a typical pub?

I'm not sure I see a problem with that. Mind you I live in a country that has drive through bottle shops.

Deleted
    You don't have to drink so much. One or two pints during 3-4 hour stay wont make you drunk or incapaple of driving, legally. 0,8 is quite high actually..