Deleted

[Storage]SanDisk introduces 200GB and 400GB DIMM-based storage

http://smartstoragesys.com/products/ulltradimm.asp (found via Hexus.net.)

This is definitely a turn-up for the books. A storage option that fits into a RAM slot and has ludicrously low write latencies (under 5 microseconds) and, according to the promo material, up to 1GB/sec transfer rates. I'm most interested, though, in the prices for these sticks, because that's just...damn.

So, what do you guys think?

Wow this is cool, I guess a good way to use up extra ram slots, its definitely different, cant wait to hear more about them

Im really curious on the prices, honestly its probably going to cost some $$$
    Last edited by Tonath; 2014-01-22 at 02:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice, too bad I have no RAM slots free, and what will be the price, I wonder
    PM me weird stuff :3

10+ Year Old Account
    this will be for specific server applications, no consumer board on the market is currently compatible

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    this will be for specific server applications, no consumer board on the market is currently compatible
    240-pin DDR3 DIMM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    How so?

From the Site - "Fits into existing memory slots The DIMM form factor allows the ULLtraDIMM to be used in any existing memory slot on the motherboard"

Deleted
    Pretty cool, thought I can see this been used in ultra small builds, but then most of the time, only having 2 DIM slots, they are both filled with ram anyway. Pretty cool to see where this will go anyway.

The article states it is compatible with RDIMMs (ECC memory, for server boards), consumer boards use non-registered DIMMs. Even if it were compatible, I expect it would be cost-prohibitive given past enterprise-class hardware.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonath View Post
    How so?

From the Site - "Fits into existing memory slots The DIMM form factor allows the ULLtraDIMM to be used in any existing memory slot on the motherboard"
    because current consumer boards and operating systems are not designed to use ram as non-volatile storage

it may fit, but it will simply be used as very slow ram, application specific boards can be designed so that the OS and CPU know that say DIMMs 16-32 are designated for flash storage, you can't do that on your own motherboard currently

not to mention the problems you would get when your ram is half full and the OS gets confused when loading

also, there is no point in consumer boards, you can get better than 1GB/s transfer speeds with PCIe SSDs
    Last edited by Cyanotical; 2014-01-22 at 07:26 PM.