Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

How would you react to a gold & mats wipe at each expansion?

Expansion day hits.

BAM!

Zero balance in your bank account. Maybe come up with a lore reason, maybe not, either way everyone has to rebuild their bankroll. Nothing allowed be on the AH within 48 hours of the wipe. All banks cleared of every stackable item, no food, no mats, no potions, maybe just a few "flavor" items saved by being flagged - Noggenfogger for example.

How would you react?

(Just throwing out fun hypotheticals here, this one I like because frankly many people feel "priced out" of raiding. Gems and enchants costing an arm and a leg on many servers.)

Ummm... pissed? It would mean that I don't bother doing anything within the economy to make money after the last raid of an xpac drops. I have enough to buy gems and whatnot, so why bother? I don't think that would be good.

Why not just delete everyone's toon and make everyone relevel too while were at it with ideas like this.

I wouldn't mind it too much personally but it'd piss a ton of people off who've worked hard.

It'd make the market a lot more dynamic with the fresh economy for sure, with people rushing to find gaps in the market and play the trends of certain items.

I do think they have to do something eventually, the gap in gold between players is becoming a massive massive thing with many players having 500k+ gold and others on 15kg. At some point it'll have an effect on player's ability to raid

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    Expansion day hits.

BAM!

Zero balance in your bank account. Maybe come up with a lore reason, maybe not, either way everyone has to rebuild their bankroll. Nothing allowed be on the AH within 48 hours of the wipe. All banks cleared of every stackable item, no food, no mats, no potions, maybe just a few "flavor" items saved by being flagged - Noggenfogger for example.

How would you react?

(Just throwing out fun hypotheticals here, this one I like because frankly many people feel "priced out" of raiding. Gems and enchants costing an arm and a leg on many servers.)
    Sorry but how does one enchant that costs 3k (Only if youre caring about how your raiding at that) and a few 10-100g ones cost a arm and a leg? considering you wont get upgrades every week, its not hard to make it back

How can you be priced out of raiding? Outside of the occasional super expensive leg enchant, you can make all of the gold you need for a full week of raiding literally in a matter of minutes, if not seconds, by doing, say... a profession cooldown, once per day.

A big huge mat/gold wipe would be utterly pointless anyways if you have such a gold-making problem, because those who bother to make gold will quickly outpace you even then. Your 'even playing field' of zeroed out gold accounts will last right up until the very moment the AH opens back up, at which point your laziness will cause you to be broke again, while everybody else makes gold.

Between this and the topic about addon support removal, I don't know which hypothetical is dumber.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Fun hypothetical"?

It would be the most stupid thing Blizzard would have ever done, and cause even more millions of people leave.

Hypothetically of course, cause it's fun.
    Currently Procrastinating

10+ Year Old Account
    There would be a lot more gold buying going on if this happened, that's for darn sure.

Of course people wouldn't like is, this is an mmo"RPG" after all. Wiping to progression of my characters in terms of money/resources is against what an RPG ought to be.

Gemming/enchanting costs next to nothing in the grand scheme of things, one can easily earn 500g per day doing dailies which is more than enough to pay for everything over the course of an expansion.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm casual casual casual I don't play the AH and I don't have any gathering professions and I never have issues gemming and enchanting all my shit. I've never felt "priced out" of raiding in my entire career. Vanilla could be pretty annoying with having to stack 8 million consumables but you didn't need that shit to clear stuff, we cleared MC with literally no flasks or pots or scrolls.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd quit because it would be absolutely fucking idiotic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

I actually did this in a sense with Mists of Pandaria. I sent all but 500 gold from Faroth to an alt so he went into Pandaria with only 500 gold. I did all the quests on Pandaria and by the time I was max level and had gear capable of entering LFR from dailies and heroics, I was around 25,000 gold again. I never transferred any gold back to him and I think he has around 50K last I checked and I've not been playing the last few months.

I sell greens way lower than anyone else on the AH, I don't play the market. I just do quests, sell trash, and sell greens....

It would have less impact than people think, imo. O_o

Deleted
    would go absolute ape shit, and end sub.
    Currently I have close to a Million in gold, and 4 guild banks filled with items spread across 2 realms.
    And I know people with much, much more than that, im talking people with 5 Million+ in gold alone.

Thank god, this wouldn't happen.

Also if people KNEW it would happen they'd just buy shitloads of expensive mounts and resell them after launch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

That would be retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Narna View Post
    "Fun hypothetical"?

It would be the most stupid thing Blizzard would have ever done, and cause even more millions of people leave.

Hypothetically of course, cause it's fun.
    Oh Lordy, Lordy. So much this.

I never farm or pile up anything - but that is the worst idea i have ever heard of.

That, and vanilla servers.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    that will increase the value of gold and goblins will make less but more valuable gold. No point

i'd proably buyout 3 mounts the second i see them popping on the BMAH

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Thank god, this wouldn't happen.

Also if people KNEW it would happen they'd just buy shitloads of expensive mounts and resell them after launch.
    To whom? The only folks with any gold would be the ones that immediately set to farming gold. Whole economy starting from zero.

Think about what this also means:
    1) Gold Farmers now all have a zero balance.
    2) Less of a requirement for more "gold sinks" to pull money out of the economy, flight costs, BMAH costs, etc.
    3) Less of a barrier to people just starting the game.

Either way, it's a thought experiment and while I'm sure things have changed on the server I last played on weapon enchants ran anywhere from 5k to 10k, gems could run about 1k each depending on the type of course and most other enchants if I remember right were averaging around 200g.

Now I haven't played since just before ToT, but somehow I doubt things on Hyjal are any less inflated.