Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Something I dont get it, even if all that is true... Why post it on a game foruns? Why not some foruns with a comunity more open to that?
    I tend to not believe when I see posts like this on gamers foruns.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well. The real question is why do you feel like you need to contribute?

A persons life is their own, we don't have an obligation to change the world. We only need to change ourselves by giving us purpose. Now, if contributing to your city or something is your life purpose, that's fine, but it doesn't sound to me like it truly is.
    Why don't you try looking for a new purpose? It doesn't have to be meaningful to other people, maybe yours could be skiing.

It really sounds to me like you haven't found something you're truly passionate about.
    And even though it's reached new heights, I rather like the restless nights. It makes me wonder, makes me think there's more to this, I'm on the brink. It's not the fear of what's beyond, it's just that I might not respond! I have an interest, almost craving, would I like to get to far in?!

Deleted
    don't wanna spoil anything, but did you know you die at the end?

seriously though, it is very unlikely that you will contribute to the world as a whole, just do whatever makes you happy on whatever scale you can. and if you can't do anything on a personal level, join/start a cause to make that difference.

or, just have kids and that'll occupy the next 15-20 years of your life at least

Quote Originally Posted by sepulturaa View Post
    Something I dont get it, even if all that is true... Why post it on a game foruns? Why not some foruns with a comunity more open to that?
    tend not to believe what? and although this is a gaming forum, it's posted in the off-topic section so why should it make a difference. the community here still consists of real people who can give responses, and that's who he chose to ask

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sepulturaa View Post
    MMO-Champ has an underrated variety of different life experiences and cultures. Also sometimes people just need a sounding board outside of their normal social groups.

What kind of creeper is part of a school council without having kids themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandrox View Post
    What kind of creeper is part of a school council without having kids themselves?
    Is that a serious question?

So, only 'parents' are capable of participating in a school council because... they have children? Does that then mean that people who do not have children are incapable of understanding, caring and successfully participating in school activites?

You know, not every single male over the age of 30 who is not married and doesn't have children is a pedophile. The OP has done far more for children who were not his own than I've seen parents do for their own children. Be careful what labels you paint on other people.

Deleted
    The very apathy of life and my accomplishments is what drives me at least.

If something has not been done - If truly nothing has been achieved - Then there is but one way left to go.

Forward. Until something is achieved. It is inevitable. Something will come from that which you or anyone does.
    Even if that something takes years. Months. days. Matters not. You can win over life by sheer endurance.

Deleted
    Even if you've made just one person's day less shitty, then you've made a valuable contribution.

Deleted
    midlife crisis, oh shit you're gonna die when you're 62

Quote Originally Posted by xcureanddisease View Post
    31 years old here. I have a good stable life. I have a good stable savings. Ive learned C++, got my EMT license, studying German, volunteered at several convalescent homes and attend church just to help out the people in need. I contribute to my city as much as i can. Part of the local elementary and junior high school Parent/Teacher council. Its not much but i've started 2 new food bank in 2 separate cities that give out food on a weekly basis. And I rent an apartment complex for 800 dollars a month for the sole purpose of letting all the kids who dont have computers or internet access to come and do their homework. I have 11 desktops and 5 laptops, 2 laser printers all ready in case anyone wants to use it. In one of the poorest neighborhoods and nobody has ever tried stealing from me. Sometimes the parents come in and search for jobs. And im really happy about all of this.

* Why do I state all these skills acquired and things ive set up?????

I have come to the conclusion that, I've done most of this stuff out of sheer boredom. I think that im hitting mid life crisis or something because none of these things feel like any kind of accomplishment. I mean what EXACTLY did I manage to do?? ANYONE could have done any of this, hell, people ARE doing way more. Making a significant contribution to society and here I am doing the same thing I was doing yesterday, the same thing I will be doing the day to come. WHERE is this going? It feels like its just the same. I need to do something. Maybe even run for city council. I've thought about it. Politics??? I dont think im cut out for that stuff. I give a shit about the people too much to do something so selfish.

I called my city and asked them for a meeting to see if we can knock out some of the poverty. They said that there are no funds available and that there are public social services available to those in need. What do I see not even 3 months later? A brand new fucking FOUNTAIN and beautiful steps walking inside a police department. NO FOOD FOR THE HUNGRY, but lets build a huge fountain of water with BIG BOLD GOLD letters.

Have any of you felt like you're just a consuming bag of meat? Throughout all the skills I've acquired throughout everything that we have done. Food drives and mass blanket giveaways, it feels like its a culmination of NOTHING.
    I think two things are happening here.

1. You are undervaluing our own contribution. In my opinion, as long as you've been a productive member of society (i.e. you have a job or are trying to get a job, you care about other people/aren't selfish, you don't actively contribute to the downfall of humanity, etc.), you are contributing, grats.

2. You are overvaluing the contributions of other people. I WISH i could say I knew a second language (I know very basic French/Spanish/Japanese but nothing useful). I wish i could say I volunteered to help other people. I think you're move over to the right side of the bell curve than you realize when it comes to contribution. There's an entire generation of YOLOing idiots coming of age who will be worthless.

If you want true contribution either involve in an open source project or join Academia. I would suggest the latter. Do research, publish papers and teach to your students.

You have done WAY more for your City/the world than the avarage human beeing.
    You cant compete with dudes like Bill Gates, so dont take their doings as a measure for yours.
    To be honest i would be satisfied if People would stop sabotaging each others.
    Beeing helpful is just a step further and you DEFINITELEY ARE very helpful to others.

Compared to me and probably most people on this forum, you're Mother Theresa. I get bored as well, but I choose to do something self-centered to combat that. You have contributed (I'd say pretty significantly for a single "regular" person), regardless of what your motivation was.

i'm drawn between whether this is a "i've lost my faith" crisis or a mid-life crisis.
    <insert witty signature here>

15+ Year Old Account
    I think you've done more than the average person too. I also agree that you sound a bored. You're at the perfect age to be settling down and having a family if that's on your To Do list. A couple of kids will solve your problem. You'll forget what free time is and you'll be too tired to sit around and ponder the meaning of life.

I didn't really read the OP, just glanced over it, but I'm curious why you feel obligated to contribute to the world? As long as I'm reasonably happy and not actively fucking with others, that seems basically fine. If I happen to contribute positively, that'd be nice, but it's more of a byproduct of just doing thinky work.

You did a lot to be honest, more than 99% would.

But it's not what you really want to do. I bet deep down there you know what you should do. Just grab all the courage in you and risk it. Think about it like that, you can either live your life like you did and be forgotten by the whole world or do something that would flip your whole life around but would make you to be remembered.

Thing is it's not always about helping people. Sometimes it's about you, your own personal development that in the end can benefit the world 100x more than any amout of soup kitchens you will attend.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Don't you worry, there's like 7B+ more people like you on this planet.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Meh you're not bad.

I did a lot actually. I opened up the eyes of several people through out my life. Taught them Islam, how to spot certain agendas and trends and not get sucked in, to understand christianity and all the other non sense religions and falsehoods. how to avoid said falsehoods.

how to be good and stay good. I've helped people with money, family, and marital issues. Above all i havn't gone postal because of that prophet and islam you all hate. Lucky you.

it adds up OP, don't expect anything for it though, it's what being good is all about.

If you've truly done these things and still feel insignificant, maybe you've missed your calling. Are you doing these things because they are genuine or are you trying to feel good about yourself? Giving and helping others isn't something you do to try to make yourself feel better about you. I'm not saying that is your intent at all, I'm just curious to the motive of doing so much for others. If it's genuine, hats off to you because you seem to do more than most individuals. If you want to feel satisfied with yourself, do something for you. I'll assume you're a straight shooter so if all the things you've said are true, you deserve some "me" time. Pamper or reward yourself. Doesn't sound like a mid-life crisis to me at all, especially at age 31. When you feel the urge to go out and buy a shiny new sports car, date women half your age and ignore responsibilities that you typically wouldn't do under normal circumstances, that is a sign of a mid-life crisis.