Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Lore behind shadow priests?

Recently I've really been getting into the lore behind everything. Although, shadow priests have relatively nothing I can find! I know it's a spec, but there is so much lore dedicated to priests and the light, but I want to know more about shadow! More than just some books that were locked away. Anyone know the whole story?

So far as it goes, a human priestess studied the Orc's magic during the first few Wars, and her findings were locked away because they were, well, heretical. The Forsaken used them as basically the foundations for their church (lore wise, pretty much every Forsaken is a Shadow Priest, though they insist that they need to remember the teachings of the Light, if not actually use them).

The Shadow is pretty much just the other side of the spectrum of the Light. The Light focuses on balance and compassion, whereas the Shadow is more about power (or POWAH! as the late Archbishop would say).

Here are some pages with reading if you want more:
    http://wowpedia.org/Shadow_(religion)
    http://wowpedia.org/Cult_of_the_Forgotten_Shadow
    http://wowpedia.org/Void

Not much is really known about it now, and much of it really comes from Forsaken Priests. I suppose a lot of it will be explored further in the next expansions. It makes sense, a little; the Light is far more well known in comparison (it's really "hush hush" in the human kingdoms), and only the Forsaken really use it anyways.

That being said, it'll be interesting to see where they go with it.

Edit: A lot of what we know about it is from the RPG books. Blizzard's decision to make them non-canon made a lot of good information go out the window, and there are varying views about it. Most of the Lore/RP guys here at MMO-C generally view information from them as still canon, so long as it isn't contradicted by anything newer (WoW, etc). Basically, Blizzard's decision was, "we're not going to go through them and decide piece by piece, we'll just make the entire thing non-canon but keep some stuff from them anyways." There are tweets about it from the big story guys, like Metzen, Kosak, and Loreology.
    Last edited by Sal the Shieldhog; 2014-01-23 at 06:14 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    I think one of the most interesting questions is whether shadow magic is a 'divine power' or not. Its something that hasn't quite been answered clearly yet (as mentioned in the Shadow Religion link Shadow-cleave posted).

If Shadow truly is the polar-opposite the the Light, then it could be reasoned that there would have to be divine figures or avatars behind the Shadow, much as the Naaru serve for the Light. The Old Gods have struck me as a potential candidate for this role, seeming to embody the Shadow's characteristics of "Despair, doubt, and panic" (Source: http://wowpedia.org/Cult_of_the_Forgotten_Shadow). Sounds very much like the Sha in particular, doesn't it? Another one of my speculations is Dark Naaru. The only one we've seen in game is Mu'ru, and his condition is a result of having the Light drained from him, but it can be hypothesized that there may be other Light-devoid Naaru out there, and we've just yet to meet them.

Regardless, the speculation is one of the things that interests me the most when it comes to playing and RPing my shadow priest . I, and as an extension my character, hold the belief that all shadow magic derives from the Void, and thus does not hold divine properties to it. My reasoning behind this is that there are various users of the power that all hold different stances and beliefs. Warlocks, worshipers of the Old Gods, and Priests of the Forgotten Shadow have all been shown to use shadow magic, but do not follow the same doctrine.
    Last edited by Failmuffins; 2014-01-23 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Disgruntled Penguin View Post
    I think one of the most interesting questions is whether shadow magic is a 'divine power' or not. Its something that hasn't quite been answered clearly yet (as mentioned in the Shadow Religion link Shadow-cleave posted).

If Shadow truly is the polar-opposite the the Light, then it could be reasoned that there would have to be divine figures or avatars behind the Shadow, much as the Naaru serve for the Light. The Old Gods have struck me as a potential candidate for this role, seeming to embody the Shadow's characteristics of "Despair, doubt, and panic" (Source: http://wowpedia.org/Cult_of_the_Forgotten_Shadow). Sounds very much like the Sha in particular, doesn't it? Another one of my speculations is Dark Naaru. The only one we've seen in game is Mu'ru, and his condition is a result of having the Light drained from him, but it can be hypothesized that there may be other Light-devoid Naaru out there, and we've just yet to meet them.

Regardless, the speculation is one of the things that interests me the most when it comes to playing and RPing my shadow priest . I, and as an extension my character, hold the belief that all shadow magic derives from the Void, and thus does not hold divine properties to it. My reasoning behind this is that there are various users of the power that all hold different stances and beliefs. Warlocks, worshipers of the Old Gods, and Priests of the Forgotten Shadow have all shown to use shadow magic, but do not follow the same doctrine.
    I agree that there are many different doctrines, but on the status of it being a Divine power, we have this from the WoW Magazine (5th issue):

Creation of Universe:

It is said that in the beginning there was Light and there was Void and in a time long ago, the two collided in the abyss of the Great Dark. As a result, infinite worlds spiraled out into the newly forming cosmos.
    Assuming that's correct, it'd put the Void/Shadow on the level of the Light, like Natalie Seline and others believed. It can also somewhat be seen with the Naaru themselves, and their perpetual cycle of Life, Death, and Rebirth (even D'ore says, "...without the Void, the Light cannot exist."). Mu'ru and D'ore both exhibit qualities of the Void after their deaths (Mu'ru's going to the extremes), which is the complete opposite of how they are in life, wherein they're effectively physicals manifestations of the Light. It makes me wonder if there isn't another "faction" of Naaru out there who are the opposite of the ones we know.

I do like the way they've handled it otherwise though, with there being different types of Shadow magic (makes sense, since the Light is the "heart" and the Shadow/Void is the "mind," makes sense different minds would find different ways to the same power). Like I said, can't wait to see more on how they handle it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Disgruntled Penguin View Post

Regardless, the speculation is one of the things that interests me the most when it comes to playing and RPing my shadow priest . I, and as an extension my character, hold the belief that all shadow magic derives from the Void, and thus does not hold divine properties to it. My reasoning behind this is that there are various users of the power that all hold different stances and beliefs. Warlocks, worshipers of the Old Gods, and Priests of the Forgotten Shadow have all been shown to use shadow magic, but do not follow the same doctrine.
    there is just light and shadow, and just like the naaru are a lifeform of purelight, the old gods and demons are lifeforms of pure shadow, that's how I see it anyway.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    there is just light and shadow, and just like the naaru are a lifeform of purelight, the old gods and demons are lifeforms of pure shadow, that's how I see it anyway.
    Actually, the Naaru are of both Light and Shadow, on a cycle of constant rebirth. The Demons are fel, not shadow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    Actually, the Naaru are of both Light and Shadow, on a cycle of constant rebirth. The Demons are fel, not shadow.
    That is a common misconception. Naaru falling to Shadow and rebirthing into Light is not part of their natural lifecycle. It is exceptionally rare.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Q: What is the nature of the Void state of the Na'aru? For a being of the Light, turning into such a dark being seems like a heavy weakness. Sucking in souls and causing destruction simply because of a loss in strength greatly diminishes their saintly image. Though, this might be a reason they don't act in combat very much, as turning on your army due to fatigue wouldn't be good for morale.
    A: Because three cases of this "cycle" have been demonstrated in Nagrand, Auchindoun, and Sunwell Plateau (K'ure, D'ore, and M'uru, respectively), players may have received the wrong impression with regard to the magnitude and rarity of these events: it is EXCEEDINGLY rare for a naaru to fall into a void state, and even rarer for a fallen naaru to be brought back into the Light. A naaru's fall into the void represents a catastrophic loss for the naaru and for the forces of the Light, and it is the saddest, most heart-wrenching event for the naaru to witness. Conversely, a naaru being reborn into the Light brings renewed hope and sense of purpose to every naaru; if energy beings could weep tears of joy, this would do it. (Source)
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2014-01-23 at 10:29 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    fel is shadow

'fire to the aid of shadow'..

10+ Year Old Account
    fel is shadow

'fire to the aid of shadow'..
    Fel is a type of arcane.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Fel is a type of arcane.
    evil arcane, fueled by demonblood

evil = shadow

that's quite a stretch, but what else would it be? pure Cha0s? maybe.
    Last edited by mmocb78b025c1c; 2014-01-23 at 10:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only undead should be able to be shadow priest...lore wise =)
    Shall I be dramatic and say "You haven't heard the last of me,"?

LIFE

(L)ive, (I)nfluence, (F)ight, (E)njoy

10+ Year Old Account
    evil arcane, fueled by demonblood

evil = shadow
    Fel is not inherently evil. It's inherently destructive.

Deleted
    Fel is not inherently evil. It's inherently destructive.
    fel corrupts everything in its proximity, I'd call that pretty evil, take a look at Shadowmoon Valley or Felwood. animals become abominations, plants die, even the elements go nuts because of it, also fel literally means tainted and dark.
    Last edited by mmocb78b025c1c; 2014-01-23 at 10:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    fel corrupts everything in its proximity, I'd call that pretty evil, take a look at Shadowmoon Valley or Felwood. animals become abominations, plants die, even the elements go nuts because of it
    Destruction != evil.

Deleted
    Destruction != evil.
    so Sargeras is a good guy, in Warcraft destruction absolutely equals evil

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess a hurricane is evil...

Fel is just a form of magic, an element of nature. Just because certain beings wield it for evil purposes doesn't make fel itself evil.

It depends how it is used destruction sometimes serves a purpose, like a wildfire for example.

Deleted
    I guess a hurricane is evil...
    you know what I mean..

intentional destruction by beings, fel is not a force of nature, it is used by beings to specifically destroy, it is inherently evil and chaotic, it is literally the blood of the demons
    Last edited by mmocb78b025c1c; 2014-01-23 at 10:52 PM.

you know what I mean..

intentional destruction by beings
    Which is different fel itself is not sentient, but is misused by sentient beings, but that does not make the fel itself evil, dangerous because of its corrupting nature for most mortals, but not evil.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    Which is different fel itself is not sentient, but is misused by sentient beings, but that does not make the fel itself evil, dangerous because of its corrupting nature for most mortals, but not evil.
    while it is not sentient, is the blood of evil sentient beings, so it is evil too, also fel makes beings evil, so yeah that stuff is pretty nasty, like you said it has a corrupting nature, so it is evil, a hurricane does not corrupt, fel does, fel is evil

I get what you're saying, but if something stems from an evil being, while itself has no (can't have) desire to inflict evil, it still is predestined to do just that, thus it is evil aswell, a hurricane is not evil becaue it is something that's random, fel isn't random it servers a purpose
    Last edited by mmocb78b025c1c; 2014-01-23 at 11:00 PM.