Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    High Overlord
    Im not "hyped" for new models but I do welcome them and also feel they are overdue
    What I dont get is why people are accepting this as "new content" worthy of an expansion. In my mind, cosmetic changes are not on the list of primary things to look for in an expansion.
    I want more dungeons other in game things to actively do/aim for.

Quote Originally Posted by KonkeroaR View Post
    To keep my sub all they have to do is make decent raids, but I guess people like staring at their characters in Org while they pretend to be afk.
    To keep my sub (or get me back in the future when I unsub), is to do a fuck ton more than just make decent raids ... but there is little focus outside raids, so I won't hold my breath (can't update the world - raids; can't do more dungeons - raids; etc).

i don't personally give a shit about the new animations or models, after a week it will not be noticeable anyway, but still im not gonna sit here and wonder why people care, if people are excited for it all, then good for them.

Brewmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Callei View Post
    Night elf females aren't buxom. Far from it--they've got some of the smallest breast sizes in proportion to the model in the game, with maybe female gnomes and female trolls beating them out.
    Actually Tyrande Whisperwind in Cata and beyond was very well proportioned, and I suspect why Blizz had that small jumping up and down idle animation for the Nefl females.

Blizzard's most dedicated players are raiders, and funnily enough, roleplayers.

Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    Actually Tyrande Whisperwind in Cata and beyond was very well proportioned, and I suspect why Blizz had that small jumping up and down idle animation for the Nefl females.
    We're talking the player model here, so odds are we shouldn't expect anything too major--even the female human and female dwarf haven't deviated too much. Female dwarves got a little less top-heavy and the female humans have a tighter figure, but I'd imagine that's the result of fewer hard edges and fewer big polygons.

Awesome sig by Elyaan is awesome.

It's a game that is based on characterprogression.
    Doesn't matter if you're a raider, pvper or roleplayer or even if you just like to explore the world.

We all progress our character,and while most new features and patchnotes devide us because a lot of us don't care about the other parts of the game, this is one of those rare things that benefit all of us. They might not benefit everyone equally, but I don't care if you're a pvper showing of your elite gear and glad mount or if you're a noobie trying to figure out how to put a lure on a fishing rod, these models will benfefit you.

Even if you don't like it one bit and think it's a waste, it WILL benefit you.
    Even if you're zoomed out entirely covering your screen in mods you will STILL benefit from it, just not as much as the roleplayer playing in a more zoomed in view.

Also, to deny the roleplayers that one bone that gets thrown at the poor lads once every 2 years or so is being a poor sport.
    Last edited by glowzone; 2014-01-24 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    I'm a roleplayer, so it's going to be great for me.

Whether or not you agree it's a good thing, Blizzard obviously thinks it is; and it's happening.
    Likewise, I think it's gonna be a great addition. Can't wait!

I am super excited about the updates. They look so much more fresh and appealing. No, they aren't the most advanced, but such a huge step. I enjoy cosmetic changes as much as I enjoy some good PvE content, so I am a happy customer.

"And even more interesting, females 25 years or older make up the largest block of PC game players overall, and they account for 54.6% of all gameplay minutes in December of last year. Girls don't just play -- they're quickly becoming one of it's main demographics."
    Again, you are distorting the figures. I don't care about a particular demographic. I look at the big picture and the overall numbers.

We can also compare console games to PC games if you want and how much money each generate.

And I like how you keep going back to Farmville, but refuse to provide any proof while I offered a source for my argument.
    It's like proving to you that you need to breathe oxygen in order to live. It was proven a long time ago that men generally like competitive gaming whereas women prefer social media. Generally speaking of course.

Your sexism is showing.
    You're the one who believes that there's an all male conspiracy to keep women down even though most homeless people are men and most victims of crime are men.

"Male privilege".

Night elf females aren't buxom. Far from it--they've got some of the smallest breast sizes in proportion to the model in the game, with maybe female gnomes and female trolls beating them out.
    I see, so again you are distorting reality to fit your worldview. Blood Elf females aren't skinny, they are just small, right?

Again, you are not looking at the bigger picture.
    Last edited by Garian; 2014-01-24 at 04:19 PM.
    "These people, Adam, they're like ghosts. Always in the shadows. Always hiding behind lies and proxy soldiers. I need you to find them. They cannot stop us. They cannot stop the future".

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    You clearly have no understanding how Blizzard constructs their teams. There are separate teams working on character models AND a team working on art for the new expansion (world, instances, etc). Or do you think that Blizzard only employs 15 people in a supply closet at the Google Campus or something?

But ok, you heard it hear first folks. User Caliph has triumphantly declared that models do nothing for gameplay. Let's start a petition for Blizzard to remove all models from his game so that his WoW is comprised of monochrome cubes. No loot, no spell effects, no art...just monochrome cubes that shoot monochrome cubes at monochrome cubes inside of more monochrome cubes. It's no different right? So he'll enjoy it exactly as much.
    right keep reaching and stretching. The model team could be put to use on several other things but whatever. Plus i didn't say they shouldn't update models just that they're putting so much into it and it offers nothing for gameplay.

keep trying dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Caliph View Post
    right keep reaching and stretching. The model team could be put to use on several other things but whatever. Plus i didn't say they shouldn't update models just that they're putting so much into it and it offers nothing for gameplay.

keep trying dude.
    Graphics are important to a lot of people it seems. The new models are great so far and will scale with higher resolutions much better than the old ones.

Considering that Blizzard are using a 10 year old graphics engine the upgraded models are awesome.
    "These people, Adam, they're like ghosts. Always in the shadows. Always hiding behind lies and proxy soldiers. I need you to find them. They cannot stop us. They cannot stop the future".

Quote Originally Posted by IKT View Post
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

You are right. You shouldn't have said anything.

You guys don't realize that from an outsider's perspective, it's very difficult to draw certain people to this game because the graphics are archaic. Warhammer Online just shut down after a 5 year run and I couldn't convince a single person to come try WoW because of how terrible the graphics are. Things like this will probably matter more than you realize.

Quote Originally Posted by torment3d View Post
    You guys don't realize that from an outsider's perspective, it's very difficult to draw certain people to this game because the graphics are archaic. Warhammer Online just shut down after a 5 year run and I couldn't convince a single person to come try WoW because of how terrible the graphics are. Things like this will probably matter more than you realize.
    Some do realize this. The difference is, indeed, enormous.

Quote Originally Posted by Garian View Post
    Again, you are distorting the figures. I don't care about a particular demographic. I look at the big picture and the overall numbers.

We can also compare console games to PC games if you want and how much money each generate.
    I'm looking at active participation in the game. 54% of all gametime came from female players in that study. It doesn't matter how many people are playing, it matter's who's playing more.

It's like proving to you that you need to breathe oxygen in order to live. It was proven a long time ago that men generally like competitive gaming whereas women prefer social media. Generally speaking of course.
    Then you should have no trouble sourcing it. Otherwise, it's just like any other 'it's common sense!' argument: typically bullshit that someone spewed and can't back up.

You're the one who believes that there's an all male conspiracy to keep women down even though most homeless people are men and most victims of crime are men.

"Male privilege".
    You're the one backpedaling into ad hominems rather than addressing the point that you just flat-out said male opinions on new models are worth more than female opinions. Also, most crimes are perpetrated by men.

As for homelessness, congrats, you have stumbled on the notion of intersectionality. Class privilege and gender privilege are not mutually-inclusive, nor mutually-exclusive. A homeless white man will get shit for being homeless, not being a white man. A homeless black man will get shit for being homeless and black, not being a man.

I see, so again you are distorting reality to fit your worldview. Blood Elf females aren't skinny, they are just small, right?
    No, blood elf girls are skinny, unless the new model gives them muscle definition.

Again, you are not looking at the bigger picture.
    The "bigger picture" is that more girls log in more playtime than boys do, but you're insisting WoW should cater all models to the male gaze, which is the sort of thing I'm talking about when I bring up male privilege as a concept.

No, blood elf girls are skinny, unless the new model gives them muscle definition.
    Hoping the model updates don't change them too much though. Frankly I think it's silly to be holding fictional non-Human races to real-world Human standards, which is sadly something that's been happening throughout WoW's lifespan.
    The first thing I remember about the world — and I pray that it may be the last — is that I was a stranger in it.” - Malcolm Muggeridge, Apologia pro vita sua (1968)

Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    Hoping the model updates don't change them too much though. Frankly I think it's silly to be holding fictional non-Human races to real-world Human standards, which is sadly something that's been happening throughout WoW's lifespan.
    Well, like I noted before, most of the more visible changes to the models seems to come from fewer big polygons and fewer hard edges, coupled with more visible joints and the like, so I wouldn't bank on big changes to the female belves.

Quote Originally Posted by glowzone View Post

Also, to deny the roleplayers that one bone that gets thrown at the poor lads once every 2 years or so is being a poor sport.
    Welcome to the World of Warcraft.

(Daboo, daboo)

I am very much looking forward to World of Warcraft being more worthy of the "ultra" settings my computer is capable of running.

I was first introduced to World of Warcraft by two Canadian friends when I lived in China. I remember the absolute epic feeling of creating my first character, a Tauren, and that first run to Thunder Bluff. It was friggin' magnificent. I get a similar feeling every time a new expansion is released and I get to explore Northrend, Pandaria, or Draenor. I don't play World of Warcraft to purely number crunch, although I do raid and PvP. A lot of the reason I continue playing, going beyond six years now, is for the immersion. New character models are going to please me when I roleplay, PvP, quest, and raid. This is something many of us already went through, as druids, seeing the new cat and bear models. In fact, I suspect I'll roleplay more with new models.

This type of thread makes me somewhat sad for the World of Warcraft community and the real world. People have become so unbelievably myopic and self-centered, believing that if something isn't 100% for them, it is worthless and to be discarded; no other person exists, much less their preferences or desires.