Need advice on upgrading

Hey all, been lurkin on MMO-Champion for a while and I finally made an account to ask for some advice.

My current build is a prebuilt HP Pavilion p6210y. Would post link but its my first post.

Motherboard: M2N78-LA (Violet)
    CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 620 ; ~2.6Ghz
    GPU: Integrated nVidia GeForce 9100
    PSU: 300W

As you can see, my PC is really lacking. So my question is, if I upgraded the PSU (450W?) and the graphics card (Was thinking Radeon 7850), would it be possible to have 60 FPS on WoW/SC2/LoL on medium settings? Is my computer lacking severely in other departments in order to obtain this goal? Also, since my motherboard is kinda old I'm not even sure if many parts today are compatible with it.

Thanks in advance.

10+ Year Old Account
    You have a really old CPU, but you probably will be able to get a solid 60 fps on medium settings with a new PSU and GPU, go ahead and try it, nothing to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Crennox View Post
    You have a really old CPU, but you probably will be able to get a solid 60 fps on medium settings with a new PSU and GPU, go ahead and try it, nothing to lose.
    Thank you for the help. Is my motherboard compatible with recent PSU/GPUs though? Is there a good website explaining the different sockets?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TehJesuz View Post
    Thank you for the help. Is my motherboard compatible with recent PSU/GPUs though? Is there a good website explaining the different sockets?
    Yeah, your PCI express slot is PCIe 2.0, GPU's nowadays use PCIe 3.0, you would have to get a new mobo.

You can grab this mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157364

Sweet thanks again dude. Much appreciated.

If you are going to buy a new motherboard, and you are considering more upgrades in the future (such as your cpu, which will be bottlenecking you heavily - remember that WOW is cpu heavy, and having a good GPU may not suffice you), ensure to buy a motherboard that will support the newer CPUs also. I'm really not knowledgable at all about AMD products and cannot advice you on the motherboard linked above, but anyway, just make sure to inform yourself properly.

Furthermore, I'd strongly advice you to not be cheap on your PSU. It's the heart of your pc and getting a crappy one will end up in tears. Shitty brands will deliver less than good brands. Also, 450W is really on the low side, the GPU you mention recommends 500 at least. The majority of GPUs will want a bare minimum of 500. With a proper PSU you should be able to run it on a 450 one, but I really don't see why you would take the risk, especially when the price difference is so small.

Anyway, good luck to you, I suggest you read up and also, take a look at MMO's Setups of the Month for inspiration, ideas, and information.