Thread: Dk leveling

Dk leveling

My god can it be boring. Between the shit regen of runes before 75, I haven't even gotten there, which makes no sense since they are huge factors of play for a dk. Couple that with how blood boil scales at low levels, it isn't based off weapon dps but rather a static amount increased when target is diseased which is removed with the glyph, which means that I spend most of my time as a blood dk blood boiling and only using death strike to get ath runes to I can blood boil some more. Doing something like 3.5k dps as a level 61 just made me cringe.

Is this really going to be what it is like to level my dk? If so I feel really let down. I was hoping for a more fast paced play that involved more then blood boil and death strike. Will it get any better? Also why are so many of the spec defining skills locked away for so long?
    He slipped out of his royal garments, left eternity to enter time, divinity to wrap himself in humanity.
    The sea of glass, for the ocean of separation. He left peace, and for the first time felt pain.
    Because the very hands that held the stars were now sentenced to wear my scars.

Quote Originally Posted by AutomaticBadger View Post
    Is this really going to be what it is like to level my dk? If so I feel really let down. I was hoping for a more fast paced play that involved more then blood boil and death strike. Will it get any better? Also why are so many of the spec defining skills locked away for so long?
    As you yourself already noted you don't have your rune regen talent yet, so of COURSE it will be better once you get that. And yes, Blood Boil's scaling only makes it so powerful at low levels, higher levels it's not quite as potent. Death Strike however will remain a major part of your play style.

As for more involved, it depends on what you're doing. Tanking gets more involved as mobs get more dangerous and you get more CDs, but just for leveling as blood, even at high levels it's basically "round up lots of mobs, apply diseases, spread diseases, drop DnD if sufficient number of mobs, spam Death Strike, use blood runes on Heart Strike or Blood Boil, and Rune Strike to proc your rune regen talent"

My god can it be boring. Between the shit regen of runes before 75, I haven't even gotten there, which makes no sense since they are huge factors of play for a dk. Couple that with how blood boil scales at low levels, it isn't based off weapon dps but rather a static amount increased when target is diseased which is removed with the glyph, which means that I spend most of my time as a blood dk blood boiling and only using death strike to get ath runes to I can blood boil some more. Doing something like 3.5k dps as a level 61 just made me cringe.

For now, yes, that's what DK leveling is like. Hopefully WoD, with the complete removal of base damage from all abilities, will fix this.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Hmmm...I admit that I have levelled my DK during WotLK and found it to be pretty faceroll. Did it change that much for the worse?

Then again, coming from levelling a Retri Pally in TBC, only root canal treatment without sedation is more painful.

Maybe 5 mans can help you here?
    Oh dear god I am still haunted by the memories of leveling my paladin... Oh the horror... Fuck you auto-attack!

It is face roll though... Slow and awkward face roll.
    He slipped out of his royal garments, left eternity to enter time, divinity to wrap himself in humanity.
    The sea of glass, for the ocean of separation. He left peace, and for the first time felt pain.

if you think blood boil scaling is op at low levels you should try death siphon xD

DK leveling is just plain awful before you get the 75 talents. We provided tons of feedback on that in MoP beta, but no replies/traction at all. Hopefully it'll get addressed in WoD beta.

I'm actually leveling a second Death Knight right now and as Unholy spec at level 84 im still just hitting blood boil over and over. I assume this will change once I hit MoP.

Quote Originally Posted by Saecryd View Post
    I'm actually leveling a second Death Knight right now and as Unholy spec at level 84 im still just hitting blood boil over and over. I assume this will change once I hit MoP.
    Wait. For real? That is retarded. Funny but retarded.

As an off topic point does anyone ever take the talent that makes BB act as pestilence?

Sure, blood takes it all the time and unholy situationally. Completely useless for frost of course.

As an off topic point does anyone ever take the talent that makes BB act as pestilence?
    Since you just spam BB all day until level 85 there really is no use for the other 2 until then. Even for frost, spamming BB does more damage than spamming HB would. Not sure if the scaling catches up though, only played around as frost until about 70. Once I was able to get Dark Transformation I went back to Unholy for more cleaving goodness.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=104049/g...estering-blood is probably pretty awesome for leveling now as well with BB if you haven't picked it up yet

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=104049/g...estering-blood is probably pretty awesome for leveling now as well with BB if you haven't picked it up yet
    Already in use. Given the low level scaling this glyph just breaks it and makes it last a few levels more alone. Not to mention the moronic numbers you get at low levels in PvP

Deleted
    Enjoy the massive deeps while you can, i used to main a blood dk but went frost on 1 tankable fights. Don't worry your dps will go down tenfold and you won't feel too OP anymore so have fun now.

The only real problem is the rune regen thing pre 75. Which is a major issue.
    "The capacity to have your buttons do something" should not have been a talent tier.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

This is only temporary. Blood is a fairly high damager as a tank spec, but you won't be OP for long.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why is Death Siphon so massively OP before level 80? What's the explanation for the strange scaling?

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Hmmm...I admit that I have levelled my DK during WotLK and found it to be pretty faceroll. Did it change that much for the worse?

Then again, coming from levelling a Retri Pally in TBC, only root canal treatment without sedation is more painful.

Maybe 5 mans can help you here?
    Blood boil hits harder than most single target abilities, death siphon is the one exception(usually oneshotting whatever unlucky enough to get targeted)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Veiled Shadow View Post
    Why is Death Siphon so massively OP before level 80? What's the explanation for the strange scaling?
    Blizzard being too lazy to fix the base damage for low level.
    Same for blood boil

- - - Updated - - -

Wait. For real? That is retarded. Funny but retarded.

At low level? No(I level dks all the time)
    At high level its my default talent as blood(free bb procs keeps diseases from outbreak rolling at 100% uptime, saving a lot of runes over a fight, + it makes diseases fire and forget)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    if you think blood boil scaling is op at low levels you should try death siphon xD
    remember to use the rune of cinderglacier for extra siphon fun

If you are leveling as a blood dk shouldn't you be pulling everything in sight and aoe'ing it down in between your near instant dungeon ques as a tank? You should be blasting through low level content, at least that was my experience on my most recently leveled DK.