Looking for PVP tips from experienced players

Hello fellow Warlocks!

As I am getting bored of LFR, I have decided to try PVP. Compared to the seasoned PVP'ers I am a complete noob but I can live with that

I want do do BG's mainly (despite the botting issue) and hopefully some 2v2 Arenas (just for CQ points).

I'd like to know if I should go for 496 honor gear or stick to my PVE gear (cant post link to armory, search for Azrilock on EU) and focus on getting CQ gear. I can get around 21k CQ points thx to the catchup mechanic but I dont know if this will be doable for me I've heard something about boosting for points but I have no idea what it is/ Anyone care to explain?

Also should i run Destro or Affli?

Thank you for your replies!

Destro is pretty easy to play in BG's, I just don't care for it to much. I normally run Affli/Demo but whatever you enjoy the most works. For 3's, 5's, and RBG's I would recommend Affliction. For 2's to get your conquest points, I would go Demo personally. I was "boosting/carrying" some of my friends Alts, in 2's with Demo. Its just not entirely strong at this current moment of end game play.

For you, I would recommend staying in your pve gear, rather than buying/crafting the 458 gear. Then just replace as you get Honor points, and get the BIG pieces in CQ points (don't buy the honor version of these ie. Head,shoulders,chest,legs,gloves) Shouldn't take long if you are asking someone for 2's carries, be it friends/guildies/or random trade pugs.

Hope some of this helps you get started.

thank you very much for your reply. It helps a lot

10+ Year Old Account
    In BGs destro is the easier spec to play and far more entertaining than afflic imo. That's just me though since I prefer the nuke style of destro over dot botting. To be honest though in reg bgs you can do whatever you want since your success will mainly be determined by how many bots/heals you have. In 2s afflic is easier to play but 2s as a lock aren't exactly easy. There are very few 2s comps you can run as a lock and do well. Double dps you can run stuff like mage lock but you need to outplay every single team as they can just rush in and train you while you need to coordinate cc. Running lock healer you can win against most dps teams but other healer teams will be 15 min games almost every time.

In rbgs destro and afflic are equally viable. Most teams run either one destro or one destro & one afflic. You'll rarely see a team with just an afflic lock and no destro. This is at 2k+ mmr of course and at low mmr just find a group with fewer morons than most low mmr groups.

In 3s most people run afflic but I'm having decent success running fire/destro mld and my guildie ran war/destro/pally to 2k+.

Thank you for your reply. I like destro over affli so i will run with that.

Flail your arms excessively and scream animal mating calls.

That's how the pros do it.

Also if you do decide to do 2s just do double dps and hope for the best, locks are pretty terrible at 2s with a healer.

Look up Cobraks videos on You tube.

He has some great Destrp PvP guides.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can also watch thugonomics on twitch. Best destro lock currently

Just keep in mind locks are dead last as a class in 2's for good reason. So don't expect the same kind of success if you've been playing a hunter, ele, warrior, mage, etc in 2's. Locks may be fotm in pve but its rather the opposite in pvp. Especially with warriors everywhere. Double dps is your best bet. Especially playing with an ele or boomkin though if you know a really good rogue it can work. Aff+healer will make others hate you and you hate you....ie it doesn't matter who wins or loses just count on long games. Aff/healer also doesn't win vs melee/healer comps of similar skill/MMR so its not like you have that to look forward to.

RBG's can go either way...aff or destro. Both have a "job" in an RBG and you need to learn them both. Destro is more pushing the kill target, aff is more UA bombs and node guarding with a pet. Reg RBG's just play what you enjoy....your win/loss will be RNG more than anything else. Not much you can do short of showing up with 3+ mates and Skype and even then you can still get crapped on by a team full of green wearing bots.

Watch some streams and look up armories....don't necessarily try to copy everything you see but do try to understand WHY they might take a particular strategy. Then adapt what you pick up from research to your situation and just try to have fun.