Thread: russians

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    15+ Year Old Account
    Russians plague the place.
    Russians plauge every game there is with their abundance of insults and refusal to speak english.
    LoL, WoW, Dota, WoT pick your poison. They also seems to be the kings of cheating, not least in WoW.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I quickly skimmed the rest of the thread and want to point to 2 things which were touched.
    1) The reason why Blizzard implemented russian realms is not solely for language separation, it's very much economical. As you might know, average salaries are lower in Russia comparing to many EU countries. Therefore it's viable to lower the price for russians in order to get more demand, but to implement that system, it requires some methods to separate russians, so there are russian accounts, which allow to play only on russian realms. And it really worked, there was significant drop in amount of private servers. Btw, we have similar situation with Steam, russian prices seem to be about 50% of EU.
    2) Somebody mentioned that russians have same problem with latin alphabet. That isn't true. I won't be far from truth, if I would say that 90% of my generation studied english in school, most of the remaining learned german. My parent's generations seem to studied german/english at roughly 60/40 ratio and my grandparent's generation studied german. Also international labels aren't translated, by often read in russian english. My favourite example is Xerox. I was very surprised when I discovered that it actually read as Zeroks, not Kseroks (which, btw, became a name for any copier in Russia). Somehow there is just no mentioning at all in our school english classes that "x" might be read as "z", if the word starts from it. Unfortunately, it seems the knowledge of english of average russian is much lower than the knowledge of english of average person from EU (basing on personal observation).
    Last edited by Kuax; 2014-01-29 at 06:59 PM.

Deleted
    I quickly skimmed the rest of the thread and want to point to 2 things which were touched.
    1) The reason why Blizzard implemented russian realms is not solely for language separation, it's very much economical. As you might know, average salaries are lower in Russia comparing to many EU countries. Therefore it's viable to lower the price for russians in order to get more demand, but to implement that system, it requires some methods to separate russians, so there are russian accounts, which allow to play only on russian realms. And it really worked, there was significant drop in amount of private servers. Btw, we have similar situation with Steam, russian prices seem to be about 50% of EU.
    2) Somebody mentioned that russians have same problem with latin alphabet. That isn't true. I won't be far from truth, if I would say that 90% of my generation studied english in school, most of the remaining learned german. My parent's generations seem to studied german/english at roughly 60/40 ratio and my grandparent's generation studied german. Also international labels aren't translated, by often read in russian english. My favourite example is Xerox. I was very surprised when I discovered that it actually read as Zeroks, not Kseroks (which, btw, became a name for any copier in Russia). Somehow there is just no mentioning at all in our school english classes that "x" might be read as "z", if the word starts from it. Unfortunately, it seems the knowledge of english of average russian is much lower than the knowledge of english of average person from EU (basing on personal observation).
    what you just said applies to almost all countries in Easter Europe from the ex communist block. Regrettably westerners have a negative approach to Easter Europeans as most of them know nothing about the history of the region, and I doubt if they could even point out the countries on a map. Truth is eastern European youth has good knowledge of foreign languages. Mainly English, French, a tradition left from the Tsarist Russia and the fact the French is the official language of the EU and German.

Compared to Westerns, an average student in Eastern Europe will be fluent in 3 languages by the time he leaves high school (including mother language), can't say the same for Brits and French (lol) than again its bad to generalize so we should just show some understanding, it doesn't hurt to learn how to say Hi or smth in Russian :P

I Play DOTA2 quite a lot.
    And i like russians, especially the language. I just cant understand it.

Problem is, DOTA is a teamgame and requires coordination which again normally requires some sort of communication that goes above pinging and "top missing". At least when you are trying to win.
    So my question is following, maybe someone can answer it:

Why do so many russian speaking People, that seem to speak russian only or at least no english, Queue on west-european Servers?
    Since i got only english tagged as a Preference and i get hose People in my game i must assume that they tag english as well.

Dont get me wrong fellow russians, i dont want to deny any Servers from you, you can actually do whatever you want.
    I just dont get the mindset behind all this?

I once saw a russian ???mage??? in cataclysm spam casting a spell with the retribution aura icon and healing himself to full every time the cast finished ;D
    Also they are the reason i pretty much stopped playing dota.
    Even though i've chosen eu-west+english preferance i still keep getting 7+ of them each game, though i don't find the not speaking english as the main problem but rather how they play, actually most i've encountered were ok/good but the way they play.... "solo-together"