Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    WoD has 8 at launch.

If you want to talk about rehashing, almost all of the BC dungeons were "rehashed."

3 dungeons set in Hellfire Citadel, all using the same graphics, all with rehashed models for bosses and mobs.
    3 dungeons set in Serpentshrine Cavern, all using the same graphics, all with rehashed models for bosses and mobs.
    4 dungeons set in Auchindoun, all using the same graphics, all with rehashed models for bosses and mobs.
    3 dungeons set in Tempest Keep, all using the same graphics, all with rehashed models for bosses and mobs.
    2 dungeons set in Caverns of Time, both reskins of areas already in the game, with rehashed models for bosses and mobs.

In reality you had one Hellfire Citadel dungeon with three wings, one SSC dungeon with three wings, one Auchindoun dungeons with four wings, one Tempest Keep dungeon with three wings, and what basically amounted to two long scenarios...
    Last edited by Kathranis; 2014-01-25 at 05:02 AM.

BC dungeons were alot of the same artwork used throughout several different dungeons. They werent unique in any way. Looking for Raid has pretty much made dungeons obsolete. Once your geared for LFR ppl rarely do dungeons, so why spend all that time and manpower design 50 different dungeons when they're not going to be used. And it sounds as if the OP wasnt around during BC launch because at that time with the talent system we had BC dungeons were alot harder than wrath, cata, and mop dungeons. When you lvl a character with the current talent system of course BC dungeons are 5 minute zergs. If LFR was around in BC there probably wouldnt have been half as many dungeons. Just my opinion but I would much rather have them working on something other than 5 mans. The one exceptions is that if they made a few five mans with full raid lvl mechanics and gear. Dungeons with same item lvl requirements as a top tier raid, and same amount of skill involved to complete it. Maybe a multi wing dungeon that takes five really good players to clear on the same lockout system as raids. Basically a 5 man mythic raid.

8 Dungeons is pretty good. You get those and 4 difficulties of raids.

TBC might have had 15 dungeons, but it didn't have LFR or Flex and raiding was only available in 10 man for two instances and 25 man for the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Teph View Post
    I could care less for the same architecture.

Each dungeon had different bossfights/mechanics and loot.
    ~45 vs ~25 bossfights. Thats what is important for me. Not some visual snowflakes.
    So basically what you're saying is that you prefer recycled and rehashed mass produced crap rather than unique content. Got it.

Por que odiar si amar es mas dulce? (*^_^*)

Quote Originally Posted by Manataurus View Post
    I'm relatively certain that they're talking about the amount at launch. There will most likely be more added in later patches.
    Doubtful. If they stick to their current plans, they wont be adding any new heroics after launch. They didn't for the entire expansion of MoP.

Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    Dungeons are means to an end, and very short-lived at that. After 5.2 I rarely saw anyone running heroics.
    I rarely saw anyone running scenarios beyond their first time, yet they still keep adding them. Dungeons >>> scenario. I have never gone "Oh man, I should run a scenario!". I have gotten the urge to run heroics. Just yesterday I was running heroics as a rogue dps just for fun. So while you didn't run heroics much past 5.2, they are still being run quite often. Often enough for a tank to have instant queue still and often enough I see pug groups daily learning for heroic farming groups.

missing points:

1) BC dungeons were wings, from 2 up to 4, the wings used basically same art and mobs.
    2) some BC dungeons were that unpopular (due to a lot of facts, like class unbalance) that most ppl never ever ran them
    3) freshly new -no recycled- dungeons take a lot of time to the game designers, time they need to invest in more raids. I dont want to live another age of a content patch with 3 new dungeons and a 7 boss raid for 8 months, not again.
    4) WoD is planned to last way shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by Derah View Post
    So basically what you're saying is that you prefer recycled and rehashed mass produced crap rather than unique content. Got it.
    People use that word in an incorrect manor as of recently. With Scarlet and Scholo, the only "rehashed" things about them is their locations and names. The mobs in them are mostly completely new. The scarlet halls and monastery both got new map layouts. Scholomance lost some rooms, a change I wish they hadn't done. You want rehashed? Do sunken temple. Same bosses, same name, and same location. Only thing they did there was remove the top and bottom and call it new. That is a rehashed dungeon.

15+ Year Old Account
    A lot of the boss fights in the BC dungeons weren't exactly mechanically interesting, either. Just throwing that out there. Tank and spank was still the name of the game, for the most part. Some of the trash pulls were harder than the bosses.
    Last edited by Kathranis; 2014-01-25 at 05:18 AM.

Blizzard reskinning Outland and rehashing dungeons for the next "patch" then charge $39.99 for it? Bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for 'em.

Of course it will. They're goin back to a time when the lore was halfway interesting. I see it bringing alot of older players back

Quote Originally Posted by malletin View Post
    The majority of the dungeons in TBC used the same art assets. I'd much rather have few somewhat unique looking dungeons than alot of similar looking ones.
    OOOOOR we could have the few unique looking ones PLUS other lore-relevant ones using similar art assets.

Just because they use the same art assets doesn't mean they're not furthering the story in some way or another. More dungeons in tBC were truly MORE dungeons because they made a helluvalota sense where they were, who was involved and how they were oriented. No one would be having a problem with MoP dungeons right now if we had a few more using Niuzao assets and more in Kun'lai summit etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

What happens after the first tier when all dungeon gear is obsolete?

Quote Originally Posted by RonaldDonald View Post
    Of course it will. They're goin back to a time when the lore was halfway interesting. I see it bringing alot of older players back
    Going back to a time in-game when lore was interesting, does not mean that Blizzard itself, can introduce lore that is interesting, now. All we can hope is blizz doesn't f up WoD too much. They have a lot of opportunity to fix the sinking ship, lets just hope they don't torpedo themselves.

Isn't raid gear obsolete after the first tier? Make a new one

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    So we get another expansion with 10 levels to level up like TBC and Wrath, YET, they come out and say there will only be 5 new dungeons and 2 rehashed dungeons. So a total of 7 "new" dungeons? While comparing that to TBC with 15 new dungeons. That means 15 dungeons with unique bosses, loot for each boss, and varied environments.

Is blizzard getting too comfortable with giving their player base less content just because we have grown accustomed to the lack of content in the past 2 expansions?

I would think the casual playerbase would also be upset because that just means there is a lack of things to do for them aside from LFR (which even they dont feel is real content).

WoD looks beautiful. I think they really shot for the stars on this expansion, I just wish they would have been more creative and focused on more 5 man content at release. I think we will get more 5 man dungeons over the course of the expansion, but it feels lame compared to 15 brand new dungeons from the get go of TBC.

Thoughts?
    WoD is not a expansion. Its a patch that you have to pay for. Its a lore based filler expatchion that will cost u 40 bucks or so. Its crap and everyone knows it. Some ppl care and hate it. Some ppl dont and accept it. Everyone knows WoW has been trash since Cata.

BC dungeons were crap compared to the Vanilla dungeons. They are a single hall connecting a few rooms that you finish in 15 minutes or less.

I would love to see Blizzard bring truly big dungeons like Maraudon and BRD in WoD. Scenarios already accomplish the quick-and-easy run if you are strapped for time, but Dungeons should go back to being actual "Dungeons" ya know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    WoD has 8 at launch.

If you want to talk about rehashing, almost all of the BC dungeons were "rehashed."

3 dungeons set in Hellfire Citadel, all using the same graphics, all with rehashed models for bosses and mobs.
    3 dungeons set in Serpentshrine Cavern, all using the same graphics, all with rehashed models for bosses and mobs.
    4 dungeons set in Auchindoun, all using the same graphics, all with rehashed models for bosses and mobs.
    3 dungeons set in Tempest Keep, all using the same graphics, all with rehashed models for bosses and mobs.
    2 dungeons set in Caverns of Time, both reskins of areas already in the game, with rehashed models for bosses and mobs.

In reality you had one Hellfire Citadel dungeon with three wings, one SSC dungeon with three wings, one Auchindoun dungeons with four wings, one Tempest Keep dungeon with three wings, and what basically amounted to two long scenarios...
    Awful attempt to cheapen the content in your own mind. Let's look at the facts.

If they were, basically "one Hellfire Citadel dungeon with three wings", and you take it as a separate entity, and the same for the above, they would be the longest dungeons the world has ever seen, with the most mis-matched story of all times. Hey guys. I'm progressing through Auchenai Crypts, then suddenly these Ethereals showed up, then suddenly Arakkoa started attacking from all sides, then magically they turned into Burning Legion demons.

Yeah. That makes sense.

So what, they reused art assets? Your point is..? Well..? I'm all ears. What would you rather have, 5 dungeons whose walls and floors were completely and utterly unique, or 15 dungeons, in groups of 3, which shared a similar art style and theme inside? SHIT. DIFFICULT CHOICE. Mmhmm.

Furthermore, it'd make less than zero sense to have dungeons in the same overarching area NOT share art assets. Why would different areas of Hellfire Citadel have completely different artwork? Do you expect one to be a lush rainforest, another to be snowy peaks, and the third to be undersea somewhere in Vashj'r? No. They're shared artworks because they're in the same damned building.

And they're separate dungeons in the same damned building because, as everyone in the entire world knows, Blizzard doesn't want us to have to do 3 hour dungeon runs anymore - they want them in smaller, bite-sized pieces. Understood? Good. Now, let's get back to the topic at hand.

Please explain to me how a dungeon having "rehashed models for bosses and mobs" detrimentally affects your experience. For example, how does fighting corrupted Orcs in Shattered Halls detrimentally affect your experience? Do you not like the fact that orcs in other areas of the game happen to share looks? This is, admittedly, an astonishing and totally unheard-of turn of events.

The same goes with Coilfang. How dare there be OTHER NAGA in Steamvaults/Slave Pens/Underbog? They deserve ENTIRELY NEW ART AND MODELS from the peasant Naga in Blackfathom Deeps, or Azshara! It's outrageous that those models have been reused again!

Let's be serious here - there's a finite number of creatures in this gaming world. The chances of models being reused is 100%. Not lower. Using that as an "example" as to how BC dungeons were supposedly "inferior" to current day ones is utterly asinine.

TL;DR - Fewer dungeons for the sole reason of not wishing to reuse art assets is absurd. Using reused models as a reason to dislike content is absurd. Having few dungeons is not a good thing.
    Last edited by Constraint; 2014-01-25 at 06:23 AM.

I'm relatively certain that they're talking about the amount at launch. There will most likely be more added in later patches.
    Doubt it. Expect 15 new scenarios though.

They did talk about this problem and they said something about how they don't think adding new dungeons during an xpac is a good thing because people end up just running those same 2-3 dungeons over and over and get bored really fast. The most positive thing they said regarding adding more dungeons later on was "it's something we'll consider".

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Is blizzard getting too comfortable with giving their player base less content just because we have grown accustomed to the lack of content in the past 2 expansions?
    Businesses generally strive to give the consumer as little as possible, while still satisfying said consumer. This means less work for the company, as well as the possibility of selling the customer more goods more frequently.

If you think about this, TBC, and especially Wrath, sort of 'threw the kitchen sink' at the playerbase in terms of zones, levels, 5 mans, etc etc etc. The next 2 expansions were, in some cases, exercises in seeing how much less of that sort of content would be tolerated. After all, you don't often hear about folks quitting specifically because of the quantity of content. It's almost always the quality on some level.

In short... if they can sell you 2 separate expansions that contain the same amount of content that 1 used to, it's a wise move to do so. And in their defense, it would seem that most players actually don't want long, time consuming content unless it's spelled r-a-i-d, for whatever reason. You won't ever see a BRD style dungeon in the game again, because the crying about how long it took would be incessant. Same goes for leveling. People seem to enjoy quick, shallow content, so they get the game they ask for.