Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Okay, lets think this through here.

Were those 15 dungeons in BC memorable? No! Only four of them I can remember enjoying!

Were those 7 MoP dungeons memorable? Absolutely! I enjoyed every inch of them!
    That's all relative though. What's memorable for you isn't the same for everyone. The most memorable for me where the original Strat, blackrock spire and brackrock depths and original deadmines, though I wouldn't say they're the best dungeons in the game. I don't think the MoP dungeons were 'bad' but the only one that really stuck out to me was Shadopan Monastery. The rest weren't all that memorable for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Okay, lets think this through here.

Were those 15 dungeons in BC memorable? No! Only four of them I can remember enjoying!

Were those 7 MoP dungeons memorable? Absolutely! I enjoyed every inch of them!
    Those 7 MoP dungeons* (okay, maybe just 5 of them) were indeed memorable! I hate them with a passion and this feeling will likely not diminish anytime soon.

* Which, to be fair, are actually 9 (3 rehashed).

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    How many years will you keep creating these passive aggressive threads, Jaylock?

Since BC dungeons were such crap using the same assets (four sets in total), of course there's more of them. Half the bosses were upscaled bloodelves saying the same thing anyway.
    That said, I'd prefer Blizzard to cut down their 5man quality significantly (you may snort, go ahead, look up the difference in modelling, texture-work, scripting, and so on) to maybe WotLK or maybe Cata standard. <10 dungeons IS NOT ENOUGH to keep them relatively fresh.
    I'd be fine with going back to themed hubs with multiple wings. But I'm so goddamn tired of hearing how BC had so many dungeons. Ya, and quality-wise they are garbage compared to today, regardless of whether or not you enjoy them.
    Last edited by MasterHamster; 2014-01-25 at 06:08 PM.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    Dungeons are means to an end, and very short-lived at that. After 5.2 I rarely saw anyone running heroics.
    Well, yeah... but dungeons don't have to be short lived. The MoP dungeon/ilvl/tier model was just... so damned stupid. Really makes me wonder what in the fuck is going on up at Blizzard. They had this shit figured out in their first expansion. It worked. Who the fuck is up there trying to reinvent the wheel, and why?

Have the end boss drop a single epic and a rare or two like in the heroic BC dungeons. Make the heroic mode difficult, so players have to work to get to that boss. Don't skyrocket the damned item level from tier to tier like in MoP, so those heroic dungeon epics will not only still be useful throughout the expansion but the heroic dungeons won't be faceroll at the end, either. They'll be easier at the end, of course; but if your hardest heroic dungeons can be steamrolled and almost soloed -with players ignoring most mechanics- at the end of the very same expansion, you done fucked up hard and probably need to take a long hard look at your development planning.

Enough with content (and gear!) that is virtually disposable and worthless three months after it's out. It's a waste of resources, a waste of money, and it's frustrating for players (and for the devs as well I'm sure).

Quote Originally Posted by Alternategray View Post
    Well, yeah... but dungeons don't have to be short lived. The MoP dungeon/ilvl/tier model was just... so damned stupid. Really makes me wonder what in the fuck is going on up at Blizzard. They had this shit figured out in their first expansion. It worked. Who the fuck is up there trying to reinvent the wheel, and why?
    Because Blizzard had to stick LFR up on a pedestal and shove players into it. The developers had hoped that by shoving non-raiders into LFR that it would become a long term grind for non-raiders. This goal ended up failing though with LFR being taken off its pedestal and demoted to "tourist" mode.
    Last edited by nekobaka; 2014-01-25 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    LOL at varied environments. The 15 dungeons had like 5 or 6 environments at best. Everything else was rehashed. They said 6 new dungeons and 2 old remade. They also said they will be adding more in the expansion soo. If they only add 2 new ones thats still more dungeons than MoP had.

They are adding 8 dungeons with WoD. 6 new ones and 2 remade ones. Its annoying me that people keep saying random numbers like. only 5 dungeons only 6 dungeons etc. Its 8!!
    6 new dungeons, 3 for leveling and 3 for max-level, as well as a revamped Upper Blackrock Spire
    http://wowpedia.org/Warlords

Erm... Am I missing 1 dungeon?

Hellfire: 3 dungeons - same style
    Zangermarsh 3 dungeons - same style
    Terrokar: 3 dungeons - same style
    Netherstorm: 3 dungeons - same style

(Generally, but none of them are close to being unique)

That's why it had more.

Quote Originally Posted by Toiran View Post
    Hellfire: 3 dungeons - same style
    Zangermarsh 3 dungeons - same style
    Terrokar: 3 dungeons - same style
    Netherstorm: 3 dungeons - same style

(Generally, but none of them are close to being unique)

That's why it had more.
    And I'd rather that than 5 hit or miss dungeons.

But really, 5 dungeons(7), doesn't Bliz have a mapmaker like most games? It doesn't ALL need to be original. If WoW were a Steam game there'd be 100s of dungeons to choose from.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Florena View Post
    While I'm very much looking forward to WoD, I'm going to say a thing or two in defense of BC dungeons. Yes many of them had similar assets, but they didn't feel like the same dungeon to me. The three hellfire ones had a unifying theme but shattered halls didn't feel rehashed to me after having done ramparts. The bosses were unique and often challenging. As for them being linear cooridors, let's be honest all the MOP dungeons were linear as well, same as the cata ones for the most part.
    Pretty much all dungeons after vanilla have been linear.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon138 View Post
    And I'd rather that than 5 hit or miss dungeons.

But really, 5 dungeons(7), doesn't Bliz have a mapmaker like most games? It doesn't ALL need to be original. If WoW were a Steam game there'd be 100s of dungeons to choose from.
    As a loot driven mmo I don't think that would work well. How many people would do dungeons just for fun with no rewards even if they did letbus make our own?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    So we get another expansion with 10 levels to level up like TBC and Wrath, YET, they come out and say there will only be 5 new dungeons and 2 rehashed dungeons. So a total of 7 "new" dungeons? While comparing that to TBC with 15 new dungeons. That means 15 dungeons with unique bosses, loot for each boss, and varied environments.

Is blizzard getting too comfortable with giving their player base less content just because we have grown accustomed to the lack of content in the past 2 expansions?

I would think the casual playerbase would also be upset because that just means there is a lack of things to do for them aside from LFR (which even they dont feel is real content).

WoD looks beautiful. I think they really shot for the stars on this expansion, I just wish they would have been more creative and focused on more 5 man content at release. I think we will get more 5 man dungeons over the course of the expansion, but it feels lame compared to 15 brand new dungeons from the get go of TBC.

Thoughts?
    Thoughts? WoD has a tremendous amount of other features that TBC completely lacked.

Though considering your avatar, it's hard to take your "complaint" seriously.

Any content that isn't endgame won't be used to its fullest, is transient. Dungeons were endgame content in TBC. Many people never raided past Karazhan. That changed in Lich King with the introduction of relatively easy 10man content, and then changed bigtime in Cataclysm with LFR.

I enjoy 5man content, and would love to see challenging dungeons with worthy endgame rewards that aren't all time-restricted like current challenge modes. But those aren't what they're doing; WoD dungeons will be somewhere between LK and TBC in difficulty, and as such, won't be meaningful in the endgame.

That's why they're focusing more effort on raids. With flex and LFR, everybody can consume that content.

If you like the burning crusade so much level up to 70 stop exp gain and just stay there no one is making you go to northrend cata pandaria.

Couldn't care less. Dungeons are something I complete once to see content, the rest to upgrade questing gear and then they're a tool for leveling alts/grinding JP. I see no reason for 15 dungeons when we'll have Flex raiding, the new matchmaking system (that they're copying from OQ), LFR, Mythic raids + Garrisons and world content. And of course I want the dungeons to have Challenge mode achis with a mount reward + mogg set.

HOWEVER, as the tiers are rolled out I wouldn't mind seeing dungeons added that go with the storyline of the patch. I loved the ICC dungeons and still remember the feeling of completing them all with friends and finally entering Halls of Reflection and seeing the Lich King!...I digress. I would like it if they keep adding new dungeons, BUT NOT at the cost of raid and world content.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarglord69 View Post
    If you like the burning crusade so much level up to 70 stop exp gain and just stay there no one is making you go to northrend cata pandaria.
    BC content isn't the same anymore, there's been tons of nerfs, tons of new spells/classes/races. It's just a different game.

It has alot to do with the rewards. People ran the cata dungeons forever and ever for 2 reasons. badges and gear.
    Badges had the fun of changing every patch, so you kept running it over and over for the most current gear. Also the dungeon dropped ivll200 epic. Plus they could be farmed for honor and mounts. So there was a ton of reward for doing them even with max level raiders, you could always use those 2 badges of current content so you can buy gear that much easier. Wraith did alot right, from the tiered gear levels, to the easy accessability of relevent 5 man content, to new BGs, a central city with portals...lots of stuff. It's really sad that dugneons are now basically obsolete, that does not leave very much end game for casuals at all (like me). LFR for 6 months to a year (the length of time for a patch) No thanks.

You cannot lose millions of subscribers and continue to develop content like you did in the past. Besides why would blizzard go back to developing unique content when they have already sold everybody on one size fits all. Their new philosophy in MOP is let's just design one instance for everybody.

They did the same thing in Diablo 3. Most game you see new content until your max level. In diablo you just had to do the same thing over and over. Although I could go to level 50, new content ended at level 24.

Somehow blizzard sold their playbase that LFR SoO is different content than flex SoO. It is masterful if you think.

Raids have raid lockouts so you are gated how fast you can get gear. Dungeons are undated therefore they are uncontrolled and deemed not cost effective.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jtstormrage View Post
    Apart from CMs, who cares about dungeons?
    Prior to mop I grinded dungeons and did pvp. Both of those sucked in mop. No dungeons and pvp gear gutted to lower than trash greens.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manataurus View Post
    I'm relatively certain that they're talking about the amount at launch. There will most likely be more added in later patches.
    like they did this expansion? oh wait they didn't

Quote Originally Posted by Clevername View Post
    I agree with you. We will not see anymore dungeons, but we may get some new bunny rabbit attacks for our pets. That I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by Clevername View Post
    Pretty sure they said no new dungeons in mop was a mistake and they want to put more in going forward.