Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    8-10 is a pretty good number, though I'd enjoy more. If they aren't as lackluster as MoP's dungeons then they should fare fine.
    Stay salty my friends.

The problem with developing 5 mans with the current loot system is everyone does them till they get into LFR/normal raids, then it just becomes something you do occasionally if at all. However, during BC, I remember doing Heroic Mech every day for over a month and a half trying to get Sun Eater to drop, even while clearing Kara weekly and starting T5 content because it was a better avoidance weapon than King's Defender. Then they added the Sunwell badge gear that required doing stupid amounts of heroics for days in order to get them. I believe the healing mace was something stupid like 100 badges and you only got one badge per boss. The amount of time it would take creating 15 (relatively) unique dungeons wouldn't be worth how often they are ran now.

Plus, BC dungeons all looked more of less the same art wise. There were what, 3 to 4 styles each with 3 to 4 dungeons using the exact same art assets just in a different layout. It didn't make for interesting game play and heroics like shattered halls and mana tombs got skipped just because of how tedious/long/difficult they were. So really you only had maybe 10 heroics you would run regularly.

All that being said, by the time I hit 90 I cringed when I queued for random heroics and got put into Stormstout Brewery. I ran that place too many times leveling up because it is the only one you get for the first 2-3 levels.
    Last edited by volescue; 2014-05-26 at 05:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Didn't they already say they're going to be adding multiple dungeons with patches?

So, do consider that there was a whole whopping 1 dungeon added in BC via a patch.
    1 dungeon per main patch will satisfy me. Id like somethig like 2 dungeons in 6.2. 2 dungeons in 6.4

Expnasion total. 11-12. No one seems to be sure how many there are. Its either 7 or 8.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Don't remember if I already posted this but let's look at TBC's 15 dungeons:

Ramparts
    Blood Furnace
    Shattered Halls

Mechanar
    Botanica
    Arcatraz

Auchenai
    Mana Tombs
    Sethekk Halls
    Shadow Labyrinth

Slave Pens
    Underbog
    Steamvault

Escape from Durnholde
    Dark Portal

So actually it had four main dungeons split into smaller wings. They used the same assets, hell Auchindoun was essentially the same dungeon four times over with different mobs. It also had two CoT instances - one of which was a reskin of Hillsbrad and the other was a timed wave fight in a zone that used Swamp of Sorrows assets.

If you think about it the CoT instances were essentially what scenarios are today - reused assets turned into multiplayer content to save on dungeon construction costs.

Also, TBC launched with Kara - a raid originally designed for vanilla WoW, Mag and Gruul were the only two raids designed specifically for TBC. So they could devote more of their raid/dungeon team to making dungeons given they had very little to make on the raid side.

If you look at how much construction went into those dungeons, it's about the same. I'm sure they could take each of the 5 new WoD dungeons, rearrange the assets and call them new dungeons, if that's what you want. Personally I'm not a fan.
    There are at least 6 new dungeons and one rehash. The only question is, are there 7 new dungeons or 6. We don't know, but there is only 1 rehash.

Deleted
    I'm pretty sure that the WoD dungeons will be ALOT better than the MoP ones. Ofcourse, this is based on my opinion cause i never liked the whole MoP setting. The savage Draenor setting is much more appealing to me. For instance, i can't wait to fight the Ogre empire!

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    There are at least 6 new dungeons and one rehash. The only question is, are there 7 new dungeons or 6. We don't know, but there is only 1 rehash.
    There's seven new dungeons. The new one is apparently a boat dock (at first I thought it was the train depot, but that was one of the original ones revealed).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    So we get another expansion with 10 levels to level up like TBC and Wrath, YET, they come out and say there will only be 5 new dungeons and 2 rehashed dungeons. So a total of 7 "new" dungeons? While comparing that to TBC with 15 new dungeons. That means 15 dungeons with unique bosses, loot for each boss, and varied environments.

Is blizzard getting too comfortable with giving their player base less content just because we have grown accustomed to the lack of content in the past 2 expansions?

I would think the casual playerbase would also be upset because that just means there is a lack of things to do for them aside from LFR (which even they dont feel is real content).

WoD looks beautiful. I think they really shot for the stars on this expansion, I just wish they would have been more creative and focused on more 5 man content at release. I think we will get more 5 man dungeons over the course of the expansion, but it feels lame compared to 15 brand new dungeons from the get go of TBC.

Thoughts?
    So hes changed his signature now, lol.

I remember less than a month ago, his signature said something like "MoP has grown on me!" or "I like MoP".
    Now his signature reads "MoP is the worst expansion!!", quite a turn he did!

Dont worry they'll release more 5mans, maybe even a 15man or 10man dungeon if we're lucky! (at least I hope so)

Deleted
    So we get another expansion with 10 levels to level up like TBC and Wrath, YET, they come out and say there will only be 5 new dungeons and 2 rehashed dungeons. So a total of 7 "new" dungeons? While comparing that to TBC with 15 new dungeons. That means 15 dungeons with unique bosses, loot for each boss, and varied environments.

Is blizzard getting too comfortable with giving their player base less content just because we have grown accustomed to the lack of content in the past 2 expansions?

I would think the casual playerbase would also be upset because that just means there is a lack of things to do for them aside from LFR (which even they dont feel is real content).

WoD looks beautiful. I think they really shot for the stars on this expansion, I just wish they would have been more creative and focused on more 5 man content at release. I think we will get more 5 man dungeons over the course of the expansion, but it feels lame compared to 15 brand new dungeons from the get go of TBC.

Thoughts?
    Not everyone cares for 5-man dungeons you know. So they try to do a lot of stuff for broad audience of players.

Also while really the same they have lower versions pre 100, then 100 lvl version then heroic version of them and also challenge mode. It does require tuning and other things.

I am not really bothered. I am more interested in quality. 5 or 15. You do each once or twice and it bores you after that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arcaneshot View Post
    There's seven new dungeons. The new one is apparently a boat dock (at first I thought it was the train depot, but that was one of the original ones revealed).
    Oh okay. I hope you are right. 8 dungeons is acceptable at launch, as long as they add a few more later.

10+ Year Old Account
    The detail and effort they put into Pandaria dungeons and most likely will be putting into the WoD ones greatly diminishes the low quality BC ones in my opinion. Most of the areas with 2-4 dungeons could've easily been just single dungeons, they just had different layouts for each of them with the same models, textures and design. The endgame has also shifted a lot since BC from dungeons/reputations into a lot more accessible raiding.

Quote Originally Posted by Iseeyou View Post
    I really love Jaylock threads.

Imo quality > quantity. But im a bit sceptical as MOP dungeons were awefull.
    Which is even weirder because the 5 man dungeon content has been in steep decline for long while now...
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Why are we posting in a 4 (edit: derp) month old thread?

BC dungeons were low-texture messes and had barely any mechanics and shared assets/themes. Of course simple minds only look at numbers. But there were so many bosses amirite? Let's add another upscaled blood elf talking about magic, occasionally casting a fireball.

Problem with MoP/WoD dungeons is that Blizzard spend waaaaayyyyyyyy too much time iterating each one. Players blaze through them regardless of how much production went into each. That's the only credit I'm going to give BC dungeons. Winged dungeon hubs offer a lot of bang for the buck.
    Last edited by MasterHamster; 2014-05-26 at 12:31 PM.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Why are we posting in a 5 month old thread?

BC dungeons were low-texture messes and had barely any mechanics and shared assets/themes. Of course simple minds only look at numbers. But there were so many bosses amirite? Let's add another upscaled blood elf talking about magic, occasionally casting a fireball.

Problem with MoP/WoD dungeons is that Blizzard spend waaaaayyyyyyyy too much time iterating each one. Players blaze through them regardless of how much production went into each. That's the only credit I'm going to give BC dungeons. Winged dungeon hubs offer a lot of bang for the buck.
    because anaxie wanted to tell some1 he sucked a math. and that why he necroed this topic. yea well done anaxie....

Deleted
    First of all, MMOC should - if they don't already - pay you. Forum would be even dead-er without you and you sure generate a few clicks as well. Best part however is this astute analysis

WoD looks beautiful.
    Compared to what exactly? I've seen better textures in a millenium past and some of the rehashed TBC surroundings look actually worse than Garadar looked seven years ago.

And on topic. Yes, the upcoming expansion's creative direction is questionable, the quality of new stuff is and - surprisingly - the quantity as well. Lack of dungeons is just one example. As always YMMV.

Less 5 man dungeon content at level cap does not mean less content overall.

Just compare endgame options for TBC as opposed to MoP and possibly WoD.

I keep failing to see the point of this threads.

Don't like it, don't buy it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderPussy View Post
    Oh no! How will I ever survive with less 5 man dungeons!?
    I don't know, let's remove the first raid tier and find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Killyox View Post
    Not everyone cares for 5-man dungeons you know. So they try to do a lot of stuff for broad audience of players.

Also while really the same they have lower versions pre 100, then 100 lvl version then heroic version of them and also challenge mode. It does require tuning and other things.

I am not really bothered. I am more interested in quality. 5 or 15. You do each once or twice and it bores you after that.
    Hey everyone, everyone will care about garrisons so lets make that instead of more dungeons.
    Hey everyone, only 5% of people see heroic encounters, lets remove everything past normal.

Also lets not forget that your opinion is the opinion for the "broad audience of wow players."
    Chronomancer Club

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Why are we posting in a 4 (edit: derp) month old thread?

TBC 5 mans were some of the most varied and exciting 5 man dungeons this game has ever had. Yes, there were dungeon hubs, and yes they had similar themes, but thats common sense because they were in the same location. Similar themes does not mean same art assets, or same dungeon. I would rather have 15 brand new dungeons that some share similar themes than 5 new dungeons and 2 rehashes from vanilla wow.

And how do you know how much time they spend "iterating" on each dungeon? Do you work for their development team?

TBC 5 mans were some of the most varied and exciting 5 man dungeons this game has ever had. Yes, there were dungeon hubs, and yes they had similar themes, but thats common sense because they were in the same location. Similar themes does not mean same art assets, or same dungeon. I would rather have 15 brand new dungeons that some share similar themes than 5 new dungeons and 2 rehashes from vanilla wow.

And how do you know how much time they spend "iterating" on each dungeon? Do you work for their development team?
    Are you stupid or just pretending to be? There's SEVEN new dungeons and ONE rehash. And even without any knowledge on those new dungeons they're already far more superior than majority of TBC Dungeons.

I'd rather have less dungeons and more raid.