Guardian druid ALOE threat/mobs

I have the hardest time gathering up a lot of mobs that are spread out in dungeons, LFR, etc. What's the easiest way to do this? Run around spamming thrash?
    Say I pull one mob and it aggros some across a room, do I run to it and swipe?
    I'm lol 86 and getting back into the game. I've always wanted to tank but this is the one big problem I'm facing.
    Thanks!

Faerie Fire and Taunt are good ranged pulling tools as well provided your DPS is disciplined enough to let you get everything gathered up.

If you're 86, you're likely not hit/exp capped... that goes a long way towards maintaining threat, especially in AoE situations (yay for WoD likely giving this to tanks for free... but until then, you'll just have to deal with it).

As drockrock said, Taunt and FF are your friends. I personally glyph for the extra range on FF and use a mouseover macro for getting that one mob that's far out of range without losing my primary target (also great for killing low-health banners/totems in raids w/o switching targets). Taunting followed by FF will produce the most threat, but if the mobs is out of taunt range and the aggro is mostly proximity aggro by someone else, FF will probably be enough to generate threat. If a DPS is focusing on a mob that's well outside of your range to effectively control it, there's not much you can do about that. I should also mention Maul glyph can help out, too.

If you're concerned about losing aggro on a group of mobs you already have collected, applying Lacerate and/or Mangling individual mobs should help out when you risk losing one (I use TidyPlates, so the second I see the nameplate change color when I'm about to lose threat I focus that mob). Bear Hug, although it makes you immobile short of using Stampeding Roar to break free, will generate a ton of threat on one mob if your Taunt is on CD. Worst case, you can use your CC talents to get mobs off of people until you can generate enough threat on them (such as Typhoon, UV, etc).

Now, if you're chain pulling to gather up multiple groups without stopping, I've found I've had better success if I avoid using Mangle/Maul as it applies Infected Wounds, and this can lead to stragglers that may not get hit by Swipe/Thrash. If you cannot avoid losing threat on something, by all means use those abilities that may slow the mob, although Lacerate should be enough to gain a threat lead without slowing the mob down.

In the end, if the DPSers are just all over the place in terms of focus and not helping you out (especially if they outgear you), there's not much you can do except trying your best to keep threat on as many mobs as possible.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    If you're 86, you're likely not hit/exp capped... that goes a long way towards maintaining threat, especially in AoE situations (yay for WoD likely giving this to tanks for free... but until then, you'll just have to deal with it).
    They're completely removing hit and expertise. Not tank exclusive. And it's just great.

Anyhoo, Exochaft pretty much covered it. Swipe, Thrash, Swipe, Mangle/Lacerate (if you don't want to slow them). Use vortex/typhoon/mass roots to save mobs running toward someone until you're in range. Symbiosis, when you get it at 87 gives you access to Consecrate (from Paladin, obviously) which is nice for aoe threat too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystile View Post
    They're completely removing hit and expertise. Not tank exclusive. And it's just great.
    I meant tanks getting the benefits of what currently 15% expertise yields, since the baseline for DPSers will be what 7.5% currently yields to keep them behind mobs. I keep it tentative since we're not even in beta yet, although I'm 99.97% sure the change will happen. And yes, it's just great!
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

15+ Year Old Account
    There's almost no way you should need more than: Swipe, Thrash, Swipe, __filler__.

Additionally, Maul can be used at any point during that process as it's not attached to a swing (can help picking up stragglers). At the __filler__ step, you will generally use Mangle, but anything can occupy that GCD. Skull Bash can also be used at any point as it's not on the GCD and has no resource cost.
    Shiboomi of <Riot> on US-Sargeras

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelf View Post
    Skull Bash can also be used at any point as it's not on the GCD and has no resource cost.
    Skull Bash also generates very little threat, if any at all, and should probably be saved for interupting casters if there are any. Otherwise, it can be used as a gap-closer.

Swipe-Thrash-Swipe is generally your best bet for AoE trash. Glyphing for Maul can help a bit with cleave threat. Target swapping to apply mangles can also help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    Skull Bash also generates very little threat, if any at all, and should probably be saved for interupting casters if there are any. Otherwise, it can be used as a gap-closer.

Swipe-Thrash-Swipe is generally your best bet for AoE trash. Glyphing for Maul can help a bit with cleave threat. Target swapping to apply mangles can also help.
    Skull bash can be used as a charge if you don't have taunt or anything ranged rdy. Should only be used if you won't need to interrupt anything though. This is also very handy to charge the the mines during the Juggernaut encounter.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, to clarify: one can be Swipe/Thrash/Swipe-ing while one charges over to interrupt a caster.
    Shiboomi of <Riot> on US-Sargeras

15+ Year Old Account
    i personaly always use pally consecration if i got to aoe tank, or shammy lightning bold if pally isnt avaible
    TREE DURID IS 4 PEE