Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Reminds me of when I lived in Houston, TX. Senior year of High school we had an ice storm that put about 1/4 inch of ice over most of the city. City shut down for 4 days. Like NOTHING but emergency services for those four days.

I live a bit further north now and most people here will go about their business unless its more than a foot of snow on the ground or power lines get pulled down from ice accumulation, once the main roads are cleared of snow of course.
    Last edited by Raeph; 2014-01-24 at 09:53 PM.

My brother is Houston attending a trade show. He says it's pretty funny down there with the snow. Apparently it's the first time they have had snow since 2009 or something like that. They just aren't used to it at all.

When we had the polar vortex schools in Atlanta closed like...wtf it's 6 degrees! Meanwhile it was feeling like -22 here and schools weren't closed lol.

Deleted
    And I thought the UK over reacted over snow, we have nothing on Texas though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    When we had the polar vortex schools in Atlanta closed like...wtf it's 6 degrees! Meanwhile it was feeling like -22 here and schools weren't closed lol.
    Sounds like my School district. Hail? SCHOOL

Ice on the roads? DAMN IT WE HAVE SCHOOL!
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Drutt View Post
    Places that hardly ever get snow don't have the infrastructure in place to deal with it (and rightly so, given what that costs). Even a light dusting can render roads very dangerous when you don't have a fleet of salt trucks and snow plows that can deal with the snow within an hour. Unsalted roads are very, very dangerous, regardless of how much snow has fallen.

Vehicle design is also often different in states that don't experience extreme weather conditions, meaning they often lack features that cars in less hospitable states have as a practical standard.

The Texas situation looks silly when you look at it in isolation, but in practice playing it safe when your state's infrastructure isn't set up to deal with snow is the right call.
    In the prairies in Canada most of the winter is too cold for road salt to even work. Car accidents on icy roads are still human error. Black ice is also a complete myth. If you actively watch the condition of the road when you drive you can easily spot slippery conditions.

A little bit of common sense goes a long way.

We don't get ice/snow/cold weather often here, so we aren't equipped to handle it. We don't have snow plow trucks or salting trucks usually. I don't even own a thick jacket. So yeah. that bit of ice makes it enough to shut down the state. Driving, and even walking on ice is not in a Texan's bank of knowledge.

10+ Year Old Account
    We haven't gotten any snow yet for some reason which is weird we usually get at least 2 or 3 snow days around this time of year but it's just rain...really depressing having winter with no snow -.-

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Meanwhile the most southern part of Texas BRIEFLY had ice, now it's just water everywhere.

I can't shoot water either and have it go away, this sucks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xisa View Post
    I agree Texans react to snow poorly.

However, I would love to see how Canadians would deal with a 110+ degrees plus humidity for 5 months at a time. Quid pro quo after all.
    Or a tornado...
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

So I move from Pennsylvania to North Carolina and experience the similar panic that always happens before a dusting. Amazed at how school is cancelled for flurries. But then I see the 50 stranded, abandoned, or wrecked cars along a stretch of highway. In the absence of regular snow driving experience many of the residents of my new state either drive as if there is no chance of ice and speed along at 10 mph over the speed limit.....or they freaking go 10 mph on the 70 mph highway.

I once witnessed a poor older gentleman stuck on a small patch of ice at a stop sign. He had the gas pedal mashed down so hard that the tires were actually making this whining noise. When they eventually caught the guy flew out into the intersection way faster than his reflexes could react to and he ended up stuck in a ditch on the opposite side of the road.

They just don't have the experience with how to navigate it and they make bad choices when forced to go out in it. Not the whole population now...it's just a small percent of the population...but it's way higher percent than in a northern snowy state.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    IN oregon...

one of the towns has an interesting Union Contract for the School Bus Drivers

ALL buses MUST be equipped with Automatic chains....yet their contract also states they not allowed to drive in snow/ice.

SO yea the taxpayer pays $2k/bus for chains that are never used for 20 yrs

10+ Year Old Account
    I cant judge the snow off of that picture.
    But from that picture, and reading some of the topic answers; You do not need any snow-preparement, like salt and plows.
    That bit of snow does nothing, unless you drift, then its bad.
    I like juice

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's what snow looks like where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    LOL....So true. Here in upstate SC, school started 2 hours late a few weeks ago just because it was 9 degrees out. So kids reported at 10:00 am vs. 8:00 am. And at 10:00 am, the temp was a balmy 12 degrees out. It is a bit humorous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I suppose that qualifies as snow. But really ? would people go crazy over such low amounts ?!
    Can't be easy for traditionally warm places to get snow I suppose.

Worst part of winter here, is that a lot of foreign trailers etc do not use winter tires, have no chains and so on. It is always mayhem on the roads here during the winter, not all problems caused by foreigners, but more than should be necessary for sure.

Is this the new male model for wow?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Souflikar View Post
    Is this the new male model for wow?
    Of course not... he's Asian. Only gweilo in WoW.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

I live in Austin Texas.
    We tried to not shut the roads down this morning, however, during the wee hours of the morning we had a 30 car pile up and a 13 car pileup within 20 minutes. It was not snow, it was solid sheets of ice. Snow=/= ice

You shut your wh0re mouth.
    giggity.

EDIT: Also, it being East Texas, we have no public services to make the roads safer in times of winter weather so we just deal with it.

Fixed it for you.