Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Iseeyou View Post
    Buy gem for $$
    Convert Gem for gold
    Buy legendaries/exotic whatever on TP

GW2 PVE IS 100 % P2W.
    It is not P2W because it does not offer a power advantage over another. Legendary = ascended quality and you can get ascended weapons as a drop in Fractals and Teq.

Not to mention it would cost you absurd amounts of cash if you buy gems and sell for gold enough for a legendary.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    It is not P2W because it does not offer a power advantage over another. Legendary = ascended quality and you can get ascended weapons as a drop in Fractals and Teq.

Not to mention it would cost you absurd amounts of cash if you buy gems and sell for gold enough for a legendary.
    But i can get them by spending 1k usd! yo that's powerselling! anybody with that money would get a legendary instead of getting a 3ds or any current gen console or upgrading their pc! damn you zito!

Hehe to people saying guardian rocks in pvp... necro is pretty famous on the chinese metagame and they showed arenanet how OP they are, the team that won the gw2 chinese invitational had a chat with arenanet to please fix their strengths a bit.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

Deleted
    There is nothing to win. So no, it´s not Pay2Win.

Everyone has the same stats at the end. And you said you dont care about cosmetics.

Hehe to people saying guardian rocks in pvp... necro is pretty famous on the chinese metagame and they showed arenanet how OP they are, the team that won the gw2 chinese invitational had a chat with arenanet to please fix their strengths a bit.
    video of chinese necro match?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    But i can get them by spending 1k usd! yo that's powerselling! anybody with that money would get a legendary instead of getting a 3ds or any current gen console or upgrading their pc! damn you zito!

The Chinese have had the game for how long? A few days or weeks?
    Meanwhile the rest of the world has already told anet all about the necro & it has been completely ignored lol

As for the Pay2win...

Folk still argue over whether it is something as simple as buying convenience items is pay2win, whereas I kind of agree on that, i see pay2win more as you have the ability to buy any weapon/gear/booster/food that can give you an advantage in any form.

Sure, level boosters get you to end game faster, meaning better gear & stats, pots from the (quite honestly crappy rng) chests are the same. Whilst it can help in dungeons etc, it is even more apparent in WvWs.
    Weapons on the other hand are to me clearly pay2win. The possibility of buying a top tier weapon is bad, but more so when you can buy a legendary & swap the stats to whatever you want at any time, therefore going with the (lol)balance state the game is in, whereas everyone else is now having to farm all new mats that are also time gated failol.

Then there was the Elementalist stream where a dev said he`d be playing to show how to properly use an Ele, because post nerfs (albeit only part way through the nerf batting Ele`s got...) where all he did was sit there, click spells, say what they did. Swapped weapons, ditto & then.....

He mentioned the star cake (or wtf it is called) only available via the rng chests as a recipe, which he said was perfect for Ele. So, does that also make it not only pay2win but also pay2balance? ;p

True, you can farm & fight against the games DR for all of the gold you`d need, to convert to gems, but again, someone with loadsamoney can just pop onto the TP & gem store & kaching. Game complete

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/04...ne-pay-to-win/

Just check this & the plethora of comments for others ideas of pay2win...

Personally, I didn`t even like using potions as it felt like cheating lol
    Last edited by mmoca2c81d9292; 2014-01-26 at 02:06 AM.

By definition of Pay 2 Win, paying would have to allow you to win. Since you can't "win" or even pay 2 advantage, then I don't see how the game is P2W.

You have to realize time = money in MMOs. From subs to F2P, that has always been the condition of the genre.

10+ Year Old Account
    Indirectly yes, you can turn money into in-game power, but this is not power beyond what you can get with hard work.. There are a few things you can purchase that cannot be obtained in game, such as home-instance mining nodes. Keep in mind that paying to win costs hundreds, if not thousands of dollars. And frankly, someone with that much disposable income is going to "win" no matter what you do.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

such as home-instance mining nodes.
    1 node of each of the 3 most common nodes on the planet that can only be mined once a day via your home instance is extremely useless.

the mining nodes are more of a waste of money than town clothes, and that's saying something

you really have to stretch the definition of pay to win to suggest anything in this game is pay to win

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    video of chinese necro match?
    Got none, that was information I took directly from the mouth of a certain developer.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

One can not "win" [complete the goals of the game as designed/rule] even if obtaining a legendary weapon is "your endgame".

P2W makes a lot more money in microtransactions than GW2 does.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ugh pay to win...no its not.

Can you buy stuff that makes you as powerful as someone can get in game, absolutely, if someone had a grand to blow I'm 99% sure they would be far more kitted out and destroy me. Much like I said in similar p2w threads throughout MMO, if you start claiming ints P2W to shave off some farming or time then you devalue the term P2W to just paying to be competitive. P2W is paying for an advantage in game that wouldn't otherwise be available to you.

I know the OP didn't make any claims of P2W just asking a question but this whole P2W thing is really getting old.

GW2 cash shop is anything but just cosmetics, its pretty much buying everything you want in game, but you'll only put yourself on an even keel.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2014-01-27 at 06:01 PM.

The reality of "buying" stuff to put you on "even footing" with other players in Guild Wars 2 is somewhat ludicrous and impractical.

One would be spending like hundreds of dollars to convert into gold to risk on GW2's virtual open market in order to acquire items that are like... zone rewards, random drops and crafting pieces. All which are obtainable through the course of normal play in GW2 and have a power ceiling absolute relative to tier & content.

Yes, one can "buy" a legendary sword with real money. However you have to do in a roundabout way which is open to fluctuation- there is no guarantee that you will necessarily even be able to buy the item(s) you want anyway. Item are all sold by players too; not Arena.net and not through the cash shop.

So it's a bit of a incomplete statement to posit GW2 allows one to buy "even footing" or an advantage [outlandish in the context of the game] via real money.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2014-01-27 at 06:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    So it's a bit of a incomplete statement to posit GW2 allows one to buy "even footing" or an advantage [outlandish in the context of the game] via real money.
    Its factually correct to say GW2 allows you to buy your way to an even footing, irrelevant how much it costs you, all you said is pointless to my post, unless your post wasn;t aimed at me.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Its factually correct to say GW2 allows you to buy your way to an even footing, irrelevant how much it costs you, all you said is pointless to my post, unless your post wasn;t aimed at me.
    some of the crafting materials for ascended are bound on acquire (for your account) I believe. So while you can purchase a lot through the trading post, you still will have to play the game to get the top of the line equipment.

Was not aimed at you. I didn't even read your post prior to posting.

And you did not understand my post.

Technically untrue since the Legendary weapon makes your weapon top of the line, but your armor/trinkets will still at best be Exotic while Ascended Armor and Stuff is still out there to mock your incredibly expensive purchase.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Technically untrue since the Legendary weapon makes your weapon top of the line, but your armor/trinkets will still at best be Exotic while Ascended Armor and Stuff is still out there to mock your incredibly expensive purchase.
    Yes, thats true, which is why I always say GW2 isn't pay to win :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    some of the crafting materials for ascended are bound on acquire (for your account) I believe. So while you can purchase a lot through the trading post, you still will have to play the game to get the top of the line equipment.
    Aye, you don't have to convince me how ludicrous using the term p2w is in regards to gaming right now, however there are some who will argue that if you can buy mats on an AH with gold, and that gold is purchasable via real money you have a p2w. Crazy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Was not aimed at you. I didn't even read your post prior to posting.

And you did not understand my post.
    uh, buying stuff to go on an even footing is so exorbitantly expensive and only sold by the player not Anet, that saying you can buy your way to an even footing is an incomplete statement.

uh, buying stuff to go on an even footing is so exorbitantly expensive and only sold by the player not Anet, that saying you can buy your way to an even footing is an incomplete statement.
    I'll take a crack at it, I think she meant "if you can only buy things that are player supplied, it's not a P2W game on the company scale".

My friend bought things via third party in EQ, it didn't make EQ P2W, for example. The situation is different of course.