Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Inappropriate guild names advertising Beer and Tobacco Commercial brands in WoW

Some time ago I had started a thread here about inappropriate guild names indirectly advertising major commercial alcoholic beverage brands and tobacco brands such as Philips Morris International "Marlboro" and Dutch Beer brand "Heineken".

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/search?q...ed+by+marlboro
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/search?q...ken&f=wowguild

It has been now over twenty days my original reports were submitted and Blizzard did nothing, so I have opened a ticket:

I will post their reply here. I am curious to see if Blizzard have altered the TOS to allow guild names advertising major commercial brands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uh, I'll be honest with you buddy, I don't think they give a shit. Undermine had a "Gnomish Stripper" guild for a little while and other's.

You've stuck with this over 20 days? I sincerely doubt that it is the companies themselves making the guilds, more likely just some random person making a random named guild.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.esrb.org/ratings/search.j...%20Battlechest

use of alcohol is already in the rating.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Deleted
    Not exactly "advertising" as you want to make it out to be. End of the day it's just a word, for a guild name. I'd suggest stop being so "high and mighty" and relax, it's a game as long as guild names aren't inappropriate I doubt Blizzard actually care. Wouldn't be surprised if they just chuckled a little at your report.

Deleted
    Yeah I agree. Also I see alot of guildnames advertising sinful behavior as they consist of "anger" "wrath" "envy" or even complete world terrorism as a guild called "world annihilation front". People turn mad being surrounded by all those names and blizzard is doing nothing against that...

Those won't be inappropriate for something rated T for Teen. T for Teen games can and do often include smoking and references to alcohol and tobacco use. In Warcraft, alcoholic drinks can be purchased from inns and vendors, and many Monk abilities reference alcohol consumption. I don't think they're going to see things your way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    Some time ago I had started a thread here about inappropriate guild names indirectly advertising major commercial alcoholic beverage brands and tobacco brands such as Philips Morris International "Marlboro" and Dutch Beer brand "Heineken".

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/search?q...ed+by+marlboro
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/search?q...ken&f=wowguild

It has been now over twenty days my original reports were submitted and Blizzard did nothing, so I have opened a ticket:

I will post their reply here. I am curious to see if Blizzard have altered the TOS to allow guild names advertising major commercial brands.

...Wow, who cares?

I've wanted to name a guild, "The Guinness Chronicles". Spend your efforts on something that actually matters rather than harassing people senselessly.

10+ Year Old Account
    It takes a while and more then a report from a single account to get a name change going on. Have some friends report it too, it will eventually get taken care of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

i think i have to agree with most the replies here. it does not matter. there are alcohol and tobbaco commercials during shows that teens watch. i think you should be more focused on being active in getting legislature or policy changes done there before you can cry over a guild name in a video game if you really are out to keep "the children" safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    Those won't be inappropriate for something rated T for Teen. T for Teen games can and do often include smoking and references to alcohol and tobacco use. In Warcraft, alcoholic drinks can be purchased from inns and vendors, and many Monk abilities reference alcohol consumption. I don't think they're going to see things your way.
    Really? Is this the official Blizzard position? That means that I can run a guild called JOHNNY WALKER, GLENFIDDICH or JACK DANIELS or BUDWEISER and it won't matter b/c alcohol consumption is everywhere within WoW?

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...9#post24750749

You've already had one thread locked on this same topic, and you make another? For someone who wants to be a stickler for the rules, you sure don't seem to mind them yourself.

Really? Is this the official Blizzard position? That means that I can run a guild called JOHNNY WALKER, GLENFIDDICH or JACK DANIELS or BUDWEISER and it won't matter b/c alcohol consumption is everywhere within WoW?
    Why would you not be able to?

Super happy adventure club were rocking my server for a while. That's kinda innocent unless you KNOW. It got canned eventually but I think it takes more than one stream of whine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    Why would you not be able to?
    Do you work for Blizzard? I would like to get their official stance on this.

10+ Year Old Account
    You do realize there's hookah all over the place in TBC areas... go into silvermoon and try to find a building that doesn't have hookah setup. Now let me ask you... is it impossible for the player to get drunk in game? Is there nowhere in game where the player can find/buy alcohol and witness the affects of impaired motor skills? Mod needs to shut down this thread because OP is severely mistaken on the ToS. Alcohol and smoking have their roots in the game and if 3 weeks have gone by w/o any GM action, I'm sure they don't give 2 shits. Sorry that you find offense in something most don't.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Then go to their forums and stop posting here about it.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    WoW isn't really rated teen. Online interactions aren't rated by the ESRB and like 99.9999999999999% WoW consists of online interactions.

It's probably against TOS or something, but that would be their problem...not yours. As far as I know, nothing those guilds are doing is any kind of reportable offence against you. Most you can do is what you have, you let blizzard know that someone is breaking the TOS.

You don't get a cookie for that, if that's what you're waiting for.

Elysia's epic sig skillz

If you wanted BLizzards official stance why did you come to MMO champion?

Deleted
    Leave your house you complete virgin jesus christ at posts like this disgusting.

Even if you disagree with them, it's not acceptable on these forums to flame or otherwise insult other users.
    Last edited by Daetur; 2014-01-25 at 06:34 PM.