1. #1
    The Patient Halefire94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Aerie Peak
    Posts
    255

    Question Feral Leveling Questions/ Help

    Hey everyone-

    I am currently leveling my first druid. I am currently level 64, and I have full leather agility hierlooms, except for the weapon, trinkets, and rings. I have a few questions though regarding feral overall...

    1) Are we supposed be doing less damage than other classes? I am leveling with my friend who is playing a Warrior (also level 64) and I just feel like he plows through mobs way quicker than I can (he also has full hierlooms for STR plate except for the trinkets and rings, he does have the hierloom weapon though- its the Reforged Truesilver Champion sword). Is there something I am doing wrong? My rotation is usually (for questing) mangle 3 or 4 times then Tigers Fury, then Ferocious Bite.

    2) Should I keep Savage Roar up as much as possible? I feel like when it is up I tear up mobs, but having to constantly keep it up doesn't feel right.

    If anyone has any advice for me as I continue to level (I plan on hitting 90 by the end of next week or beginning of the week after that), it would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    High Overlord Raysere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    167
    I'd get yourself Glyph of Savagery. Use SR as you approach a mob, 12s should be enough to kill it. Rinse and repeat. Remember that you can use CP left over on a target after it's dead to cast SR too. At max level you'll want to keep SR up 100% of the time while damaging mobs. Better to get into the habit of maintaining now. I'd probably Rake mobs too, because FB has 25% increased crit chance on a bleeding target. For anything that'll be alive longer than 10-15 seconds I'd get a 5cp rip up as quickly as possible, preferably with the Tigers Fury buff.

    On heirloom weapons: because they scale up every level, they often end up being significantly better than what you might find via quests, since you don't often get a new weapon every level and can sometimes be stuck with one for quite some time. The damage values on your weapon contribute heavily to your overall damage. Ask your friend to link his heirloom at his current level and compare the damage values and DPS to yours.

    One last thing to note is that below max level, the classes aren't very well balanced. It's just not an area of priority for the developers. some classes also fare better than others when killing low-HP, short-lived mobs.
    Last edited by Raysere; 2014-01-26 at 12:35 AM.

  3. #3
    The Patient Halefire94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Aerie Peak
    Posts
    255
    Quote Originally Posted by Raysere View Post
    I'd get yourself Glyph of Savagery. Use SR as you approach a mob, 12s should be enough to kill it. Rinse and repeat. Remember that you can use CP left over on a target after it's dead to cast CR too. At max level you'll want to keep SR up 100% of the time while damaging mobs. Better to get into the habit of maintaining now. I'd probably Rake mobs too, because FB has 25% increased crit chance on a bleeding target. For anything that'll be alive longer than 10-15 seconds I'd get a 5cp rip up as quickly as possible, preferably with the Tigers Fury buff.

    On heirloom weapons: because they scale up every level, they often end up being significantly better than what you might find via quests, since you don't often get a new weapon every level and can sometimes be stuck with one for quite some time. The damage values on your weapon contribute heavily to your overall damage. Ask your friend to link his heirloom at his current level and compare the damage values and DPS to yours.

    One last thing to note is that below max level, the classes aren't very well balanced. It's just not an area of priority for the developers. some classes also fare better than others when killing low-HP, short-lived mobs.
    Thanks for the advice! It was extremely helpful- I will definately grab that glyph now. could you clarify what you mean by CR though? Not completely familiar sure on all the abilities and their abrreviations yet haha,

    Another question- where does the damage for feral actually come from? I know agility gets converted into attack power but what about the weapon? does damage on a weapon matter or is it just a Stat stick

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Halefire94 View Post
    Thanks for the advice! It was extremely helpful- I will definately grab that glyph now. could you clarify what you mean by CR though? Not completely familiar sure on all the abilities and their abrreviations yet haha,

    Another question- where does the damage for feral actually come from? I know agility gets converted into attack power but what about the weapon? does damage on a weapon matter or is it just a Stat stick
    Damage on a weapon is where most of your damage will come from. A high damage dealing weapon will mean everything.

    Therefore, try to get the ilvl 471 archaeology one and you'll be able to kill mobs with 2 mangles at lvl 85.

  5. #5
    I think he meant SR (Savage Roar) and yes pretty much what he said. As a feral you rely heavily on your dots and it sometimes takes a while before you have them up and running, on a short fight you might do less damage than most other classes, but on longer fights you will quickly catch up and in some cases even overtake.
    Retired Feral druid.
    I'll miss you my old friend.

  6. #6
    The Patient Halefire94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Aerie Peak
    Posts
    255
    Quote Originally Posted by Megamisama View Post
    Damage on a weapon is where most of your damage will come from. A high damage dealing weapon will mean everything.

    Therefore, try to get the ilvl 471 archaeology one and you'll be able to kill mobs with 2 mangles at lvl 85.
    What about getting an Hierloom weapon?

    Like: http://www.wowhead.com/item=93844

    or: http://www.wowhead.com/item=93846

  7. #7
    High Overlord Raysere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by Istypops View Post
    I think he meant SR (Savage Roar) and yes pretty much what he said. As a feral you rely heavily on your dots and it sometimes takes a while before you have them up and running, on a short fight you might do less damage than most other classes, but on longer fights you will quickly catch up and in some cases even overtake.
    Yes sorry, I did mean SR, Savage Roar. Didn't spot that typo, my apologies for the confusion.

  8. #8
    Warden Staff for sure.

  9. #9
    The Patient Halefire94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Aerie Peak
    Posts
    255
    Quote Originally Posted by Raysere View Post
    Yes sorry, I did mean SR, Savage Roar. Didn't spot that typo, my apologies for the confusion.
    Its no problem

    and Alright ill grab the warden staff definately

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Halefire94 View Post
    What about getting an Hierloom weapon?

    Like: http://www.wowhead.com/item=93844

    or: http://www.wowhead.com/item=93846
    If you can get it asap, you should get the warden staff, but you're usually able to get equally powerful weapons while leveling anyways. The 471 archaeology will be the biggest improvement to your leveling you can get. 471 is usually enough to last you until you start doing SoO LFR or Flex.

    At lvl 78 you can get http://www.wowhead.com/item=55789, often for under 100G on the AH and it'll be better than the BoA until lvl 81 or 82 or something like that.

    Edit: Also remember that a weapon for melee characters is usually a bigger boost than a 10% boost piece when leveling. It helps so much.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •