10+ Year Old Account

Advice needed about gearing...

Hi! I've been clearing normals before entering heroic content (yeah, I know we're late) and recently I got a Warforged Dagger (Norushen Shortblade) and sincerely don' know what to do... I'm posting to ask for help about some things =)

Info that can be useful:
    Armory
    Shadowcraft Profile
    World of Logs

I'd probably be better going subtlety due to the ilvl difference on some specific fights like Noru, Sha, IJ, Malk and Blackfuse... (Nothing big, it's a like ~7K increase)

Well, I play combat for my main spec and will probably stay doing it because of raid encounter mechanics. Too much cleave, combat just shines at that and is still the same or better at single target fights...

Thing is, I've been playing around with both Shadowcraft and Simcraft but can't find an answer. SimC tells me to go Slow/Slow as combat regardless of the dagger being higher on ilvl, although SC tells me otherwise by a ~200dps increase using the dagger on the OH.

The problem about having 2 usable specs is that I sincerely don't know what to do with my reforges and gems, going sub with combat gems/reforges (Haste > Agi > Mastery > Crit) is somewhat fine, according to SimC It's something like a 2K~ decrease from going Agi > haste > crit > mastery.

I'd not think twice about it but I've also seen some combat rogues going Agi > Haste on gems which I find logical since you will be doing more damage during Heroism/BL but slightly less outside the "energy capping period"... Doing this swap on SC decreases my DPS by 300~ and on SimC by 3K~

Another problem is that I've been getting some better results going Haste > Crit > Mastery as combat on SimC (Nothing huge, the initial burst is better and the average is like 500dps better), personally I avoid crit and stay as much Haste/Mastery as possible, and I think most people do it.

Too much variables, don't know what to do, don't know if I should use the WF Dagger as combat or not (I have 4P)... If I should use Combat Reforges/Gems at Sub or the opposite, if Agi > Haste is actually useful.

Thank you in advance =)
    Last edited by Artorius; 2014-01-25 at 11:16 PM.

For combat haste and mastery are quite close in some gear sets (in both SimC and ShC), suggesting you might want to balance the two. Try and get mastery and crit scaling values as close to even as you can.

Have you considered going sub main due to having a WF dagger (unless you have a WF slow weapon for combat). The loss of agi-focused gemming for combat is not a lot and certainly a viable gemming strat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowboy View Post
    For combat haste and mastery are quite close in some gear sets (in both SimC and ShC), suggesting you might want to balance the two. Try and get mastery and crit scaling values as close to even as you can.
    Haste is always better but crit and mastery were doing some strange things... Opening as Haste > Crit was something like 729K and as Haste > Mastery 704K, although they both end the fight within 1K difference...

Have you considered going sub main due to having a WF dagger (unless you have a WF slow weapon for combat). The loss of agi-focused gemming for combat is not a lot and certainly a viable gemming strat.
    It seems that the loss of going haste focused sub is lower than the loss of going agi focused combat (according to sims obviously, never tried it in-game)
    Maybe I need to go agi combat someday to feel it myself...
    Yes I considered going Sub main spec, and according to sims it'd be like 7K~~ better (I don't have any WF slow weapon)
    Although I feel "safer" as combat, it has less room for mistakes... I should probably go test it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by DrArtorius View Post
    Haste is always better but crit and mastery were doing some strange things... Opening as Haste > Crit was something like 729K and as Haste > Mastery 704K, although they both end the fight within 1K difference...
    Sorry about that, I meant mastery and crit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure yet if I should use this damn dagger on the OF as combat or not.. I know having the 4P puts a slow weapon higher on the same ilvl, but according to SimC it's better even when its a little lower on ilvl... And ShC says otherwise.