Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakara View Post
    Basically this. The open world is getting better, but in an MMO, when you see someone else and about you should think "Oh cool, another person" and not, "Ah crap, competition. Piss off! I was here first!" which is all too common in WOW.
    Another way to see it, most competition is fun in nature. You have fun working to be the best athlete you can be. You have fun doing your job the best you can. You have fun going out to the bar and finding girls to impress. You have fun racing to kill bosses the fastest and you have fun facing other players in PvP. You have fun trying to get as many achievement points as fast as possible.

I'm not saying there aren't going to be unpleasant aspects and tedium in the preparation and of course losing like the Broncos did is going to suck. But largely, you compete for the love of the game and the journey is the best part, not necessarily the destination.

On the flip side there is nothing whatsoever fun about "I'm going to fuck with people the best I can and the 'game' is to see who hits a node first." Nope, nothing at all. Nothing but a pissing contest that the game could seriously do without.

Quote Originally Posted by voidspark View Post

Nodes are zero sum, as in if you tag the node, nobody else gets anything, and it discourages cooperative play in the World. Which is something that should be encouraged, not discouraged. Also "competition" for a node means that instead of improving your own ability, you generally resort to tricks (such as baiting mobs onto others) instead of any other means to get such a node.
    Actually wrong. There is a gain in the server economy either directly or indirectly.

You collect say ghost iron ore on your farmer. Here is how it get's filtered into teh economy making it a gain:

1: You sell on the AH raw or processed into bars, trillium bars or living steel

2: You process that ore into a living steel bar, then make it into a belt buckle to either A: Use yourself (oh hey, gem slot needs filling!) B: Sell (Oh hey, gem slot needs filling!)

3: Living steel is further processed to something

4: You prospect the ore, get a gem and process it with cutting or using as a crafting reagent (or someone else does when you sell it).

5: You hoard it and it never sees the light of day, thus zero sum gain to the server economy.

That is just some examples for ore, I'm sure there are more uses for it but off the top of my head that's enough.

You don't farm to get nothing, you farm to get products to process or sell or both, thus injecting them into the server economy directly or indirectly (like used belt buckles that need a gem, a ghost iron BS item made and DE'ed for mats etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Greyarea View Post
    Actually wrong. There is a gain in the server economy either directly or indirectly.
    1) You 100% absolutely missed the point of "zero sum" in my post.

2) Even if you take everything as is, you're still wrong. Still zero sum even taking your long list into account.

Quote Originally Posted by voidspark View Post
    1) You 100% absolutely missed the point of "zero sum" in my post.

2) Even if you take everything as is, you're still wrong. Still zero sum even taking your long list into account.
    I may be wrong, I may be right, however I know with near 100% certainty that blizz will not phase nodes (herb/mining) for people like they do with arch or havew them 'tap' if your in combat near the. if you want it all to yourself your playing the wrong game as I have said numerous times.

As I said my view points may be wrong and I'm able to admit I could be wrong, however whatever is mined/picked/skinned directly or indirectly impacts the greater server economy if it comes from you, your GM or some bot farmer

EDIT: also re-reading your post I see what you mean. I shouldn't skim read stuff like that so sorry