Page 1 of 2
LastLast

proving ground gear.

What do you guys think ia the best gear for proving grounds endless as assassination? Piece by piece. I know its about gem slots and good trinkets but I cant find a BiS list for it.

I most likely try to put mastery stuff a lot to let poisons kill my targets.

It doesn't need to be specific gear , Pieces with mastery and a lot of sockets do just fine , get Darkmoon Card and Bottle of infinite stars(elegon).That is pretty much how gearing goes

Yes, you need SOME specific gear for PGs. For starters, the legendary meta gem will not proc in PGs so you want an alternate helm with an agile primal diamond. Set bonuses do not function so feel free to drop any tier set for better itemized pieces, and lastly, the prismatic socket in t14/t15 weapons DOES work, so you probably want ToT daggers.

10+ Year Old Account
    iirc the rules for Proving Grounds are the same as Challenge Mode dungeons (please correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't really bothered with PG), so looking up information on gearing for CMs and a BiS list there is quite possible.

1) Bottle is not better than Siegecrafter trinket since it has a lot of mastery.

2) I have 2 garrosh heirlooms daggers which are better than any tier14/tier15 for this.

I know all this but I was asking about some other items that you found to be amazing like wrists per say (im using wrists with socket)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeh.- View Post
    2) I have 2 garrosh heirlooms daggers which are better than any tier14/tier15 for this.
    Unless I've missed something like they don't scale down, this is totally wrong. Missing the legendary gem slot* is HUGE. For something "like wrists per say," see any CM BiS list.
    Last edited by Kael; 2014-01-24 at 06:47 AM.

I'd argue that ToT daggers are probably better than the Garrosh heirlooms. In both cases you have 2 sockets, but in the heirloom weapons, the second socket is at the expense of itemization, but with ToT weapons, the second socket doesn't. It's free and extra.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowboy View Post
    I'd argue that ToT daggers are probably better than the Garrosh heirlooms. In both cases you have 2 sockets, but in the heirloom weapons, the second socket is at the expense of itemization, but with ToT weapons, the second socket doesn't. It's free and extra.
    You are right but that itemization on ToT weapons either has expertise or hit and you dont need any inside proving grounds pretty much so its better to take garrosh daggers that have PURE agility sockets + 120 agility bonus (tot daggers only have +60 agiilty bonus) and also has +crit instead of hit/expertise.

Quote Originally Posted by Kael View Post
    Unless I've missed something like they don't scale down, this is totally wrong. Missing the legendary gem slot* is HUGE. For something "like wrists per say," see any CM BiS list.
    There's no legendary gem slot in challenge modes. Is there in proving grounds? These should all be disabled, along with the gems you can stick on tot weapons. If this isn't happening it's against stated dev intent!

1) Bottle is not better than Siegecrafter trinket since it has a lot of mastery.
    I'm pretty damned sure that bottle is better than ted. Bottle is overbudget for its item level, and as such it is overbudget for ANY item level.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verain View Post
    There's no legendary gem slot in challenge modes. Is there in proving grounds? These should all be disabled, along with the gems you can stick on tot weapons. If this isn't happening it's against stated dev intent!
    You're also not supposed to get stronger with gem-slot gear pieces, and gear's not supposed to scale in CMs and PG, yet there is a sliding gradient. 580 gem-slot gear scaled down to 463 will strongly outpower 463 gear that's not scaled, and the extra gem slot on weapons does work.

You're also not supposed to get stronger with gem-slot gear pieces, and gear's not supposed to scale in CMs and PG, yet there is a sliding gradient. 580 gem-slot gear scaled down to 463 will strongly outpower 463 gear that's not scaled, and the extra gem slot on weapons does work.
    There are two things here:

1- Much 463 gear has LESS sockets. Newer gear has MORE, spending more of the ilvl that way. A 463 belt with 0 sockets should scale the exact same as a 516 belt with 0 sockets, but you should get an edge by using a 483 belt with two sockets, or a 561 belt with two sockets (which should themselves be the same).

2a- A sha touched dagger has a slot for a 500 agi gem. I believe this is disabled and does not count. Is that true?

2b- A dagger from ToT can have a socket added from the orange quest. I believe this socket and the gem inside it is disabled and does not count. Is that true?

ALSO- this is odd. I was going to run some CMs with my guildies. In prep, I took what I thought would be a decent set of gear, went over to proving grounds, and then reforged inside there. This meant making reforges for hit and expertise, and I got both roughly to raid cap while maximizing mastery, then haste (I was planning to run mutilate).

Everything looked good. Then my buddies logged on, and we ran a challenge mode. Suddenly I was WAY OVER CAP on these stats. What the heck is going on there?

Everything looked good. Then my buddies logged on, and we ran a challenge mode. Suddenly I was WAY OVER CAP on these stats. What the heck is going on there?
    Hit and expertise are not affected inside. And you get a lot from new gear thats why the new gear is better.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm pretty damned sure that bottle is better than ted. Bottle is overbudget for its item level, and as such it is overbudget for ANY item level.
    This is the thing about bottle. Internal CD is 55 seconds which means when you are at the end of a wave it can proc and leave you without it for the next wave. Siegecrafter trinket is 1 min Internal CD and it starts with A LOT of agility and decreases with time which allows you do to A LOT of dmg at the start of every wave when all your procs appears.

Basically doing the math you have WAY more dmg overall because your starting dmg is stupidly high with it and for bottle is more even which IMO is not better or at least it wasnt for me.

Hit and expertise are not affected inside.
    But I did my reforging inside the proving ground, with reduced stats. Shouldn't I have had the SAME stats in a challenge mode and a proving ground?

And you get a lot from new gear thats why the new gear is better.
    I'm not sure exactly how this works. Are you sure?

That's not true anymore. They fixed the scaling algorithm. The scaling thing that I posted last year has been resolved. The scaling algorithm is actually quite sophisticated now.

There are two things here:

1- Much 463 gear has LESS sockets. Newer gear has MORE, spending more of the ilvl that way. A 463 belt with 0 sockets should scale the exact same as a 516 belt with 0 sockets, but you should get an edge by using a 483 belt with two sockets, or a 561 belt with two sockets (which should themselves be the same).

2a- A sha touched dagger has a slot for a 500 agi gem. I believe this is disabled and does not count. Is that true?

2b- A dagger from ToT can have a socket added from the orange quest. I believe this socket and the gem inside it is disabled and does not count. Is that true?

ALSO- this is odd. I was going to run some CMs with my guildies. In prep, I took what I thought would be a decent set of gear, went over to proving grounds, and then reforged inside there. This meant making reforges for hit and expertise, and I got both roughly to raid cap while maximizing mastery, then haste (I was planning to run mutilate).

2a is true, the gem is disabled. 2b however is not, the extra socket does work. Not sure on your hit/expertise issue though.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowboy View Post
    That's not true anymore. They fixed the scaling algorithm. The scaling thing that I posted last year has been resolved. The scaling algorithm is actually quite sophisticated now.
    Oh! I didn't follow the update. Thanks.

For the purposes of questioning whether everything works as it should, though, it does point out that you should always check rather than assume the ideal works properly ^_^

Bottle is a lot better than TED due to the 20 sec proc duration 45 sec icd , same goes for DMF trinket with 15/45 sec. TED got nothing on those 2 trinkets

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmgewehr86 View Post
    Bottle is a lot better than TED due to the 20 sec proc duration 45 sec icd , same goes for DMF trinket with 15/45 sec. TED got nothing on those 2 trinkets
    The strength DMF trinket is 45 sec with chance to proc on hit. The agility DMF card has a 55sec ICD and has a 20% chance to proc on crit. Given that crit and haste both scale down in CMs it can take as much as 10 seconds to get a proc after the ICD is up. At 15% crit, 20% chance on crit to proc at two swings per second means median time to proc after ICD is 10-11 seconds. This means the effective CD of the DMF trinket is approximately 65 seconds. It's not THAT good of a trinket in CMs. The averaged out agility from TED is about 770 agility. The averaged out agility of the proc from DMF is 618 assuming a 65 sec effective ICD. Even if the DMF trinket procs the instant the ICD is up every time, it's still only 731 agi averaged out. The only thing making DMF trinket good is that it's agi with an agi proc, rather than secondary stats on either end.

I use bottle and windswept pages for my PG/CM set (I'm combat though).
    Last edited by shadowboy; 2014-01-25 at 04:47 PM.

I made it to wave 55 endless using....
    Full SoO armor since it provides the most sockets.
    Bottle and dmf trinket.
    Daggers were heirloom and just an soO dagger.

Personally knowing what dps buffs to use when and where on the waves are more important than gear....

Oh and I gemmed straight agi.

Your armory says 4,399.