Page 29 of 38 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TooMuch View Post
    Do Age of Empires and Call of Duty1 add new content all the time? Do they offer multiplayer? There is your comparison going wrong...
    It's not the game being old, it's being a subscription based game being old.
    In case you didn't read it: http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/01/...egends-surges/
    Sometimes the older games are better games.

That is why I am glad sites like GOG exist.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Do Age of Empires and Call of Duty1 add new content all the time? Do they offer multiplayer? There is your comparison going wrong...
    It's not the game being old, it's being a subscription based game being old.
    In case you didn't read it: http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/01/...egends-surges/
    By the way, from the linked article:

"The company also said it has counted peaks of over 7.5 million customers playing the game at the same time each day"

Think about it. 7.5 million customers playing the game at the same time each day. Compare with WoW's 7.7 million "active accounts", which includes everyone who logged in at least once in three months, and a lot of which aren't even subs -- with, rather optimistic, maaaybe 1.5-2 million playing the game on a good day. And this was some time ago. Wow.

Impressive.

1. merging of raid locks - like 10 and 25 man. I hated this change took 1/2 the game away from me. Even worse was their reasoning, basically stating their pathetic playerbase doesn't know how to say NO to running both in a week and felt forced - fucking ridiculous.

2. Having a better more preferrable playing system on asian realms. I don't even want to get into how much more game they get for absolutely no reason besides.. "well they're Asian players they expect more for their buck."

3. Too much focus on painfully bad features like pet battles. Yea I know some of you like this.

4. The shop not accepting gold payments. I am not against a shop, but I am against a cash only shop. I am not getting into why this is demeaning to players and their spent time ingame.

5. That very bad classes and very OP classes exist.

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    By the way, from the linked article:

"The company also said it has counted peaks of over 7.5 million customers playing the game at the same time each day"

Think about it. 7.5 million customers playing the game at the same time each day. Compare with WoW's 7.7 million "active accounts", which includes everyone who logged in at least once in three months, and a lot of which aren't even subs -- with, rather optimistic, maaaybe 1.5-2 million playing the game on a good day. And this was some time ago. Wow.

Impressive.
    Still, you cannot compare LoL with WoW.

LoL is a MOBA, completely differnet from WoW. It is the kind of game where you can jump in and play a match or two, then jump out. You do not have to commit to it (even though people DID turn it into an eSport, which is absolutely fine). That sort of gameplay attracts more of the casual audience (as WELL as the Hardcore), and thus higher active players.

Ironically, you can attribute LoL's success to WC since its predecessor was DOTA which originated....on WarCraft3. Funny how things work. And Blizzard themselves were the ones who revolutionized Free to Play (not create it..just made it the most easily accessable way to play) online games with Battle.net (with StarCraft/Diablo).
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

1. Pandas.- They don't really feel like a part of warcraft, april fools joke race should have stayed that way
    2. 10/25 man combined lockouts for raids
    3. Patch 4.3.- Cataclysm overall was a mediocre expansion but this patch was the icing of the cake to make it the worst ever, the first two dungeons should have been raid on their own right especially Well of Eternity, and Dragon Soul Z forcing Thrall down our throats didn't helped at all
    4. LFR replacing 5-mans as endgame for casuals and alts.- MoP must be the most alt unfriendly expansion in WoW to the date
    5. Last one would be a tie between nightmare heroic 5-mans at the beginning of cata and daily grindfest at the beginning of MoP
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromedes View Post
    Welcome to the Alliance, faction of compromises and unfulfilled desires. Want Vrykul? Here is compromise in form of kul tiran half giants we never heard of. Wanna High elves? Here is compromise in form of void elves we never heard of. Wanna broken draenei? awww fuck it
    About ganking ("world pvp") being dead now
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    Maybe you could wear a mask and push over little kids while they walk home from school instead?

Quote Originally Posted by rpdrichard View Post
    1. Pandas.- They don't really feel like a part of warcraft, april fools joke race should have stayed that way
    They fit just fine. WarCraft's universe has always been cartoony and less about gritty/dark nature. They are just as viable as, say, Tauren.

Ever since WC1 it's been like that, and it will continue to be (although WoD looks to be one of the "darker" and "grittier" Expansions)

Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post

LoL is a MOBA, completely differnet from WoW. It is the kind of game where you can jump in and play a match or two, then jump out. You do not have to commit to it (even though people DID turn it into an eSport, which is absolutely fine). That sort of gameplay attracts more of the casual audience (as WELL as the Hardcore), and thus higher active players.

Ironically, you can attribute LoL's success to WC since its predecessor was DOTA which originated....on WarCraft3. Funny how things work. And Blizzard themselves were the ones who revolutionized Free to Play (not create it..just made it the most easily accessable way to play) online games with Battle.net (with StarCraft/Diablo).
    And how does it differ from the current state WoW is in, where Blizzard even stated LFR could be done during a lunch break?

Ironically, you can attribute LoL's success to WC since its predecessor was DOTA which originated....on WarCraft3. Funny how things work XD
    Yes, I know. WoW and LoL are different genres (although many would say WoW of today plays more and more like a MOBA). I am just glad that Blizzard is no longer where it's all at (it hasn't been strictly the case before, but Riot makes a very strong point, especially given that Blizzard are going to compete with them with Heroes of the Storm). It's good for everyone. Blizzard have become too complacent and sure of their enormous success no matter what, they need someone to slap them in the face.
    Last edited by rda; 2014-01-30 at 01:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. LFR / LFD (devalue of instanced content)
    2. Bring the player not the class. Bullshit if every class isn't on par with all others in terms of dps / heal / tanking ability.
    3. Too much lewtz
    4. Shop
    5. 10 / 25 in the same raid

And how does it differ from the current state WoW is in, where Blizzard even stated LFR could be done during a lunch break?
    Because they do LFR then stop, it takes commitment to do progression and hardmodes. So basically people are doing LFR and that's it for the week...one lockout.

Last time I checked, you can play more LoL matches per week than one

Yes, I know. WoW and LoL are different genres (although many would say WoW of today plays more and more like a MOBA). I am just glad that Blizzard is no longer where it's all at (it hasn't been strictly the case before, but Riot makes a very strong point, especially given that Blizzard are going to compete with them with Heroes of the Storm). It's good for everyone. Blizzard has become too complacent and sure of their enormous success no matter what.

Honestly...I would love a MOBA-style BG in WoW.....I've always thought that's how they should been when I first played DOTA on WC3 (well before WoW even came out, but well after it was announced). True, WoW didn't have BGs on launch but when I thought PVP I thought DOTA.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Probably already said but.... Here i go, The worst decisions blizzard has made to Wow is listening to all the whiners, complainers, and cry babies on these types of forums... Pat yourselves on the back for destroying the game for yourself.

1. Arenas
    2. Homogenization
    3. Dailies
    4. 10 Mans
    5. Blizzard Store/Decline of Storyline

I really want to add the decline in story, too, but I kind of feel like #5 is related to that.

In order from greatest to least:

1. Cash Shop 90s
    2. Cash Shop *period*
    3. LFR
    4. Cataclysm
    5. Maybe flight?
    Stabby stab stab.
    Avatar courtesy of Kelly Aarons of woweh.com

Honestly...I would love a MOBA-style BG in WoW.....I've always thought that's how they should been when I first played DOTA on WC3 (well before WoW even came out, but well after it was announced). True, WoW didn't have BGs on launch but when I thought PVP I thought DOTA.
    I agree again. That would be interesting.

And by the way, since the article in WSJ piqued my interest, I went reading more about LoL and just digged this infographic:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/...opping-numbers

32 million players a day! 70 million registered users in 2013! Holy s&^%!

Kinda puts WoW's boasting of "100 million players over 10 years (of which only 7.7 remain today and just watch how many more we will lose before WoD)" into perspective...

I agree again. That would be interesting.

And by the way, since the article in WSJ piqued my interest, I went reading more about LoL and just digged this infographic:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/...opping-numbers

32 million players a day! 70 million registered users in 2013! Holy s&^%!

Kinda puts WoW's boasting of "100 million players over 10 years (of which only 7.7 remain today and just watch how many more we will lose before WoD)" into perspective...
    The main reason LoL had such large numbers is that it is Free to Play. That attracts a lot of people. But WoW really cannot go that route without going Pay to Win, and despite what all the doomsday criers are saying is not happening.

Buying a level 90 is not pay to win.....in WoD anything sub level 100 doesn't matter.

1. LFD - killed off some of the most interesting aspects of dungeon, the challenge, everything is incredibly easy in 5 mans now, the socialization, the game finds friends so you don't have to "bother", and the fun, which comes from a combination of those two.
    2. LFR - did the same thing to raiding, but on a slightly less scale from the damage LFD did.
    3. Taking ratings off of pvp gear - takes out almost all of the incentive to play with skill or to try to form a team, rather, find some trade chat nub, play do 2's for 30 to 45 minutes a week, and in 2 months you'll have a full set of gear
    4. Homogenization, was fun when your class actually felt unique, now almost every dps has a dot to put up, a proc to hit when it activates, and then a button to hit when neither of those are up
    5. Haven't really seen too much, but the blizz shop looks awful. Paying for levels is something they would've never done back in the day. And in a game where you advance your character through leveling, saying that "paying for levels" isn't a big deal may be the silliest thing I've heard.

I really should have put this as my #1:

RNG - worst system ever developed. Example: Main kills rare for over a year, mount doesn't drop. Alt kills, 3rd time it drops...1% mount drop... For raiders, pretty sure you will agree not getting say a trinket for a whole xpac feels pretty decent, right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Because in practice, you can't. First you have to level your character (which for a new player, can be confusing) and second, LFR currently has craptastic queues (1h queue + 2h clear does not a lunch break make). Also, you have to farm gear to get into LFR (which is currently easy with timeless isle, but was not the case before SOO patch).

This is where the fundamental difference lies: MOBAs (and shooters, which are another crowd-pleaser these days) do not have that starting period. Granted, you may not have the most powerful weapons/champions/whatever from the start on, but fundamentally you play the same game. You do not play a single-player campaign aka leveling in LOL for 2 weeks before you start playing.

All this being said, I agree that the trend in WoW towards bite-sized content does indeed exist, as it does for other games. And for a good reason: because customers want it. MMOs who do not understand that principle will die sooner rather than later or become niche products.
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

Worst decisions:

1) reducing Test of Valor to 3000 instead of the original 6000
    2) removal of attunements
    3) drop 'legendaries' (warglaives, bow, etc).
    4) changes to abilities/spells because of PVP related imbalance
    5) transmog

Best Decisions:
    1) LFR
    2) LFD
    3) CRZ
    4) Cash Shop
    5) Long quest chain to obtain a legendary so there are no special snowflakes (cloak quest is great).
    Last edited by Marema; 2014-01-30 at 02:53 PM.

1) Having two different sizes of raids (although I am a big fan of Flex)
    2) Heroic (soon to be Mythic) raiding
    3) Active Mitigation
    4) Priority Queues for abilities
    5) PVP