Deleted

Beginners Question about the Fractal Design r4 Case

Hey this is a very silly question most likely but I wanted to ask why the top fan vents and side vent where blocked off by default with the Fractal Design r4 Case. I was worried since I did not know whether I should un-screw the insides to unblock them or not. It does not make much sense to me as to why it would have these blocked off by default.

I assume it is a choice just in-case you want better air flow but what is the risk of having them on? Can air still escape easily and with them off I assume it would be louder?

By the top vents I mean these at the top which for me there is a bit of metal directly below the holes with foam on the other side for noise reduction:
    http://content.hwigroup.net/images/p...l/158865-7.jpg

Should I take them off?

I have no experience/knowledge when it comes to air flow which should be obvious after reading this hehe.

They are simply for noise reduction.
    Open holes in a case are places where sound can escape.
    If you need the fan mounting positions or for ventilation then take them off.
    Otherwise leaving them on will help the most with the sound dampening, assuming that was why you purchased the Define R4 in the first place.

Top would most likely be used for exhaust as hot air rises, or for a radiator.
    Side is for extra air flow via a fan for the GPU if necessary.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2014-01-26 at 08:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sound and dust can get through open holes.

I have the case and only use the 2 front fans (one I installed) and the back fan. Everything is whisper quiet and cool as usual. The only reason you should need the top fans is if you are using a top-mounted radiator for liquid cooling and the only reason for a side intake fan would be for multiple GPUs. Even my overclocked system, an i5-2500K@4.5GHz and GTX 760@1250MHz, the temperatures don't come close to worrisome levels.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Okay then that's brilliant thank you!