Deleted

How important is alter time?

i begin playing mage and i want to know how much of dps boost or lose this spell is.

the one the i do not like about alter time is if u get procs while you use it they go away after the seconds are over and i do not like that randomness. i want to know how much of a dps loss you suffer if you just not use it at all. i would like to completely take it off my action bar if the dps loss is small.

It can be fairly substantial if used correctly. Use ExtraCD to track trinket cooldowns and just learn how to use it properly.

Deleted
    used correctly it s a dmg boost... but it is more important on short fights esp if heroism/bloodlust is used on pull when your trinkets procc.... well used with proccs it will increase oyu dmg by maybe 2% I gues.... maybe more.... usually it is not going to turn the scale on most of the fights if your other raid members play well... SO if you can track oyuproccs you's be able to pull some extra dmg.... if not.... you might waste proccs.... but if youare not playing bleeding edge.. it won't matter much

I've found it fundamental in wiping the raid

Seriously though - most of the time it is awesome, just that pesky location reset can be a bummer.

It's a dps boost most of the time. For Fire it is a bit more substantial than Arcane or Frost, but it does not make or break your damage overall. Though it has a small chance of being a massive dps loss or even to kill you if you use it badly. In the end, it's fairly easy if you learn the uses for it.

if you're afraid of wasting procs, you can always cancel it early when no procs are up. the chances that you will have procs on every gcd during alter time are pretty small.

a perfect alter time with ALL ur procs/cds up is a HUGE dps boost, but at the same time the worst possible alter time you can do will be a HUGE dps loss. you gotta learn to use it correctly.

Get an addon like weak auras to track procs, there are tons of weak auras to import if you google the trinket, and go to a target dummy and just get used to the spell. It's a little weird to get the hang of but once you get it down it can be a lot of fun!

The ideal time to use it would be when you have the most possible procs up at once, losing half a jade spirit or random trink proc probably is negligible compared to a properly used AT.

Before I got used to it, and before I made a cancel aura macro for it I would screw it up all the time. I used to pop it right before bloodlust which gives you the debuff, but not the buff, also I would use it before fire spawned under me, and then move and teleport back into the fire and get hurt/die.

Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    The ideal time to use it would be when you have the most possible procs up at once, losing half a jade spirit or random trink proc probably is negligible compared to a properly used AT.

Before I got used to it, and before I made a cancel aura macro for it I would screw it up all the time. I used to pop it right before bloodlust which gives you the debuff, but not the buff, also I would use it before fire spawned under me, and then move and teleport back into the fire and get hurt/die.
    you dont need a cancelaura macro, u simply recast the spell

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMine View Post
    you dont need a cancelaura macro, u simply recast the spell
    Cancel Aura works differently from simply recasting the spell. Recasting ends Alter Time early, while cancel aura removes it completely.

15+ Year Old Account
    That is a very good point, cancel aura makes it so you don't teleport back.. The amount of times I had things not line up and I had just my cloak and weapon up with a 'fuck it' AT, followed by both trinkets proccing was just face desking. Cancel aura would be perfect for that since you don't use trinket procs

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't worry, if other people get their way we won't have the ability anymore.

Or any other abilities.