Unhappy with internet download speed

I am paying for 15 mb/s download speed and am not getting anywhere near that. My ISP has its own speed test on their website and over the span of 5 tests throughout the night tonight i have ranged between 4 and 10 mb/s. Fastest being around 6pm EST and the slowest being around 1045pm EST. I am also on a wireless connection at the moment but a few days ago i tested my download speeds on speedtest.net while wired into the modem and my speeds couldnt break 10 mb/s. Tonight speedtest.net was ranging 6-10 mb/s.

Is this normal?
    Is there anything anyone can suggest I do before I call up my ISP and bitch because im not getting what I am paying for?

Thanks in advance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RoosterJ View Post
    Is this normal?
    Is there anything anyone can suggest I do before I call up my ISP and bitch because im not getting what I am paying for?

Thanks in advance.
    no its not normal, go call them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RoosterJ View Post
    I am paying for 15 mb/s download speed and am not getting anywhere near that. My ISP has its own speed test on their website and over the span of 5 tests throughout the night tonight i have ranged between 4 and 10 mb/s. Fastest being around 6pm EST and the slowest being around 1045pm EST. I am also on a wireless connection at the moment but a few days ago i tested my download speeds on speedtest.net while wired into the modem and my speeds couldnt break 10 mb/s. Tonight speedtest.net was ranging 6-10 mb/s.

Is this normal?

Thanks in advance.
    what kind of connection is it? cable or DSL?

10+ Year Old Account
    Until you're paying $80 for 1mb/s, I would not fucking complain at all.

Call them, that aint normal imo.

Im lucky to have ordered a 3/15, and I get like 3.30/17 last time I checked- Very pleased with that, price was 40 dollars a month and ontop off that is included services, WebTV and a music thingie like spotify, but it dosent have that good collection...
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Deleted
    Not everyone gets advertised speeds due to many things like distance from exchange or if the area is oversubscribed.

What speed does the isp website say you should get for your postal code? The contract is probably "up to 15mb" for $x not 15mb guaranteed.

Does the isp offer a 10mb contract?
    Last edited by mmoc1d03ea7d9d; 2014-01-27 at 11:32 AM.