Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naftc View Post
    Well check that bar again because you don't have enough to pick the class you are going for.
    i chose my class a long time ago
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    You know, America likes to think it's the peak of civilisation, but high school bullying is such a typical American thing.

Only there can you be bullied for years and when you finally snap it's -YOU- that gets punished.
    I can tell you from experience that this is NOT exclusive to America, not by a long shot. (I live in Australia)

Deleted
    Well there are 2 different outcomes by retaliating physically against a bully. Either he steps down and leave you alone and pick a new target, or he gather his friends to teach you a lesson.

Either way, I think standing up for yourself is the best you can do. If you have the guts.

Deleted
    You know, America likes to think it's the peak of civilisation, but high school bullying is such a typical American thing.

Only there can you be bullied for years and when you finally snap it's -YOU- that gets punished.
    What makes you think it's a localized phenomenom? Not uncommon in Northern Europe at least.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    the best thing you can do when facing a bully is to hit him as hard as you can, even multiple times if necessary
    Well, there are situations where that is easier said than done I'm afraid.

My worst school years... my Middle School (otherwise known as Jr. High) during a long period where my state/school district thought the best way to solve problems with bad inner city schools was to take those kids and bus them to the suburban schools.

We're talking a small city that had this (partial, to avoid naming where) headline last month:
    more violent than 99 percent of cities
    And people are utter fools if they think moving students around will solve problems. I'm sorry, but the kids and the families within bad schools are one part of the problem, it's not just bad teachers or lack of resources.

Note that I am not against the good kids from the 'bad' side of town getting a better chance. But unfortunately the vast majority that were bussed into my school were not the good kids. I was one of the littlest ones for my age and in that school pretty much didn't have a leg to stand on. It's not like I hadn't put up with mean kids at my two previous schools, but this was a whole other ball game. There is nothing fighting back would have done for me other than worsen the situation.

Thank goodness I was able to choose whatever High School I wanted to go to (new choice program) and got the hell out of my old school district after 8th grade. My high school luckily was pretty awesome and was the only school I ever missed when it was over.
    Last edited by OzoAndIndi; 2014-01-27 at 07:53 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was a multi-sport athlete growing up so i hung around the athletes mostly. If someone was getting picked on, I'd just watch on, but if I witnessed something messed up, i'd probably intervene. It wasn't until I got into WoW right before high school in 2004 that I quit all sports including club soccer. If I had probably stuck with soccer, i probably wouldn't have dealt w/ minor bullying, but i'm talking real real minor, like now that I think about it, it probably wasn't bullying. Anyways, I got fat throughout my sophomore and junior year, but my inner athlete couldn't accept me being 205 lbs at 5'5" so i kicked my butt into hyper drive and began working out. Eventually i developed an addiction to bodybuilding and my whole senior year I was yoked. Friends would "scoop" my pecs my putting their hand underneath muscle and lifting up. I'd tolerate it a little bit, but if they did it 3 or so times, i'd slug them in the arm and give them a dead arm.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    I was a multi-sport athlete growing up so i hung around the athletes mostly. If someone was getting picked on, I'd just watch on, but if I witnessed something messed up, i'd probably intervene. It wasn't until I got into WoW right before high school in 2004 that I quit all sports including club soccer. If I had probably stuck with soccer, i probably wouldn't have dealt w/ minor bullying, but i'm talking real real minor, like now that I think about it, it probably wasn't bullying. Anyways, I got fat throughout my sophomore and junior year, but my inner athlete couldn't accept me being 205 lbs at 5'5" so i kicked my butt into hyper drive and began working out. Eventually i developed an addiction to bodybuilding and my whole senior year I was yoked. Friends would "scoop" my pecs my putting their hand underneath muscle and lifting up. I'd tolerate it a little bit, but if they did it 3 or so times, i'd slug them in the arm and give them a dead arm.
    Sounds more like sexual harassment than bullying!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    they was just adoring them tits brah "bromance"
    Last edited by Hooliganz; 2014-01-27 at 08:51 AM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I know what'd be even better: if schools gave a fuck.

Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    ^^ gl with that happening anytime soon
    Last edited by Ron Burgundy; 2014-01-27 at 10:36 AM.
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

10+ Year Old Account
    I was bullied at school and the best thing I ever did was tell someone. The bullies got kicked out of school and it got a lot better for me. Sorry to say but you have no idea what you are talking about.

Those bullies got kicked out of school and even years later are losers with no jobs. Best thing that ever happen was years later one of there mums starting working where I did. In fact I was her boss. He came in begging his mum for money. When he noticed who I was and that I was watching the look on his face was priceless. I laughed at him. Then his mum told him to fuck off. And I laughed even harder.
    Last edited by Airwaves; 2014-01-27 at 09:29 AM.
    Aye mate

I was an easy target at school being 5,4 got bullied every day by different people, told the teachers they did nothing so one day I spoke to my dad about it he told me to fight back... so i did. The results were me being left alone.

I think it works if you know how to fight in the first place though otherwise you will just get beaten up. (i did boxing for example)

10+ Year Old Account
    We should encourage people to tattle, actually, because teaching people that violence is a solution to problems outside of...hm...1% of cases is worse than "tattling".
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

its so easy to not be bullied. act confident and don't come off as a pussy. you don't have to smash a guy to do that.

thats what got me through high school. and i was an insecure pussy until college.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crunk View Post
    its so easy to not be bullied. act confident and don't come off as a pussy.

thats what got me through high school. and i was an insecure pussy until college.
    And the implication of your argument is that people who act like "pussies" deserve to be bullied.

First off, this is offensive to women because it implies that femininity is a negative attribute.

Secondly...no. Nobody deserves to be bullied no matter how they act.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    And the implication of your argument is that people who act like "pussies" deserve to be bullied.

First off, this is offensive to women because it implies that femininity is a negative attribute.

Secondly...no. Nobody deserves to be bullied no matter how they act.

it has nothing to do with femininity, it has its roots as a pejorative comparing one's likeness to that of a demure cat. check your priviledge
    Last edited by crunk; 2014-01-27 at 09:50 AM.

Oh, no. That happens in the Netherlands, as well.

For as far as I know, this behaviour is everywhere. The victim of excessive bullying will always end up being punished. There's never anyone who'll have your back, so the question is: Is your sanity and mental health worth being expelled?
    The answer is always 'yes.'

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Just like calling someone a 'dick' is offensive to men because it implies that masculinity is a negative trait?

10+ Year Old Account
    it has nothing to do with femininity, it has its roots as a pejorative comparing one's likeness to that of a demure cat. check your priviledge.
    Again, why should demureness be any justification for people being bullied?

because thats the way biology works in all animals including humans and just because you and your reddit circle-jerk friends dont like it doesnt mean its going to change.

all i was doing was advocating not smashing a guy's face, why are you picking on me for that? do you like smashing faces?

edit: i was wrong, but so were you - here's the real etymology of the word.

The meaning "weak or cowardly person" has a separate etymology. Websters 1913 Revised Unabridged Dictionary lists this version of pussy as an alternate spelling of "pursy", an otherwise obsolete English word meaning "fat and short-breathed; fat, short, and thick; swelled with pampering ..."[1] The interpretation is often misconstrued, as it contains multiple meanings which some consider derogatory.[2] In fact, when pussy appears in the earlier 1828 edition of the dictionary, this definition is presented for the word, while the older pursy is simply offered as a "corrupt orthography".

Pursy (pronounced with a short u, and with the r slurred or silent) was in turn derived from an Old French word variously spelled pourcif, poulsif, poussif, meaning "to push, thrust, or heave". In this sense, it is cognate with the modern French verb pousser, also meaning "to push".

The word pussy can also be used in a derogatory sense to refer to a male who is not considered sufficiently masculine (see Gender role). When used in this sense, it carries the implication of being easily fatigued, weak or cowardly.

Men dominated by women (particularly their partners or spouses and at one time referred to as 'Hen-pecked') can be referred to as pussy-whipped (or simply whipped in slightly more polite society or media).
    Last edited by crunk; 2014-01-27 at 09:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    because thats the way biology works in all animals including humans and just because you and your reddit circle-jerk friends dont like it doesnt mean its going to change.

all i was doing was advocating not smashing a guy's face, why are you picking on me for that? do you like smashing faces?
    I'm picking on you because you, like many people, seem to have an implicit bias against the victim.

Fun Fact: Do you know what the cause of 100% of bullying is? Bullies.