Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Question did this game flop?

from a complete outsider view, this game looks dead. in the beginning it looked like it had so much promise. what went wrong ?
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

What went wrong is that development was rushed, the game was released with its endgame entirely incomplete, and EA pulled funding and abandoned ship when the subscriber base started declining rather than following through on its investment and continuing fast-paced development. This is the story with many MMOs these days. EA did the exact same thing to Warhammer Online, and in fact SW:ToR was partially to blame for WAR's shutdown because 90% of their development team was pulled from the Mythic studio over to the BioWare studio to work on Star Wars.

Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    ah, ok, that makes sense. kinda sad...so much work went into it and now its just left to die ?
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

it was in the top 10 of the most successful f2p games of 2013, and with the money they got initially, I dont think it was a financial flop
    its not left to die either, there is constantly new content added

It's nowhere near dead. Full realms are actually quite packed and there are many players on fleet and planets. The only problem of SWTOR is Cartel Market and the fact that all content goes there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh by the look of that top f2p list of 2013, they did even better than Rift (somehow, ugh).
    So I would say it's not dead.
    I mean I sure regret putting the 60$ I did into it, but we all make mistakes. I'm sure there are people still enjoying it.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

10+ Year Old Account
    It flopped with its endgame content and as an MMO but it is however still very much worth playing if only for the storylines and lore content in case you are a RPG and star wars fan.

It's got some of the highest revenue for a F2P mmo, not even counting their optional subscription fee.

Sort of hard to call that a flop.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

10+ Year Old Account
    die hard fans still play

Deleted
    I hate the star wars story but i play it, i get more bang for my buck than i did in wow

Deleted
    I thought the only SWTOR related thing to have died were these stupid pointless discussions. This topic was done to death, resurrected, done over again then flogged to destruction over a year and a half ago.

I personally loved the story and leveling up, did loads of pvp at levcap (Huttball is the best bg, every game included!) but eventually got bored due to the lack of endgame. Will probably never pick it up again but the game was fun and really awesome to play, well worth the money and the sub-fee!

10+ Year Old Account
    I did the Beta test. I liked the story and cinematic at first, but after a while I just kept spamming space bar to skip them because I wanted to level.

EA basically did what Blizzard did to Diablo 3 and rushed it out quick to make money. The CEOs and investors at gaming companies don't give a rats ass what kind of quality is pushed out to the public, as long as the franchise name is used to make good money.

Look at Diablo 3 - It's glaring obvious that they could have spent far more time developing it (no, it was not in development for 10 years...). We were given a half assed game, with many of the promising features cut, with a lackluster story all so they could make a ton of sales.

Same thing happened with EA.

Wait.. my God...

EA/Blizzard - It's happening. Are they morphing into one entity? Not a merger.. but a scientific mutation where you can't tell the two apart anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    from a complete outsider view, this game looks dead. in the beginning it looked like it had so much promise. what went wrong ?
    A recent report cited The Old Republic as among the most profitable online core games currently.

So, no. The Old Republic did not flop.

The purely subscription model did "flop", however.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilkie View Post
    I hate the star wars story but i play it, i get more bang for my buck than i did in wow
    That's me as well.

SWTOR may not have done as well in the beginning as many would have liked but it has recovered well after all the initial downfalls.

Plenty of content a nice end game raiding scene and a number of events that pop up now and again.

For now, I get more for my money in SWTOR than I did in WOW or any other mmo.

SWTOR was hurting in the beginning but it has recovered very well. Now if they can only keep up the pace.

The engine ruined it for me, the game had great promise, but when the engine can't handle more than 8v8 bg's it will fail as a MMO.

So the game was rushed, they butchered the hero engine making it terrible and it was full of bugs.

The worlds didn't feel right as well, was not immersive at all.

You will probably have people telling you it didn't fail, but it failed massively, they had huge plans for the game, just look at all the servers on release, but subs dropped very quickly and they would of dropped quicker if it wasn't for the ip, the game would of been a flop at launch without the ip.
    Last edited by Trix; 2014-01-27 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OmniSkribe View Post
    It's nowhere near dead. Full realms are actually quite packed and there are many players on fleet and planets. The only problem of SWTOR is Cartel Market and the fact that all content goes there.
    Yeah full realms and no 55 PvP queue pops. Oh and all that new content, but no class changes to move things arround, you do the same thing since launch rofls. Only scenery changes.

SWTOR feels abandoned to me and I was surprised how devs do not invest any time whatsoever when game generates so much cash. o.O Oh wait they do with montly packs in cartel market.
    Last edited by ldev; 2014-01-27 at 10:00 PM.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

Why would PVP queues be an indication of overall population or game activity in a PVE based 2nd era MMO.

That makes no sense as a point of argument to the game's population.

This game will never be as big as WoW.....but I dont care.

I actually enjoy playing and paying for this game

I have actually cancelled my WoW subscription and subbed to SWTOR instead.

I am having fun running Op groups and levelling my Bounty Hunter Merc.

So to answer your question......In development and how the game was handled, yes it did flop.......But the game still has a nice playerbase, always someone online to do things

Its WoW....But with Lightsabers...

Half a million subs, 1.7 million FTP players apparently:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...e-to-play.html

Small by WoW terms, but that's a silly comparison. As far as I can tell there are no other sub based MMOs larger than SWTOR unless there's some big Asian ones I'm not aware of (Lineage got shut down and Lineage 2 was FTP right?).
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.