Poll: How well do you cook/bake?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    3. I'm not gonna claim that I can make the most tasteful amazing dishes ever, but my mom and grandma cook every day basically and I know what they do.

I'd say I'm really good at making a meal for every day and being efficient, while also making it taste great. I don't know a wide variety of stuff and spices though...

3, 5 on baking. I find baking bread harder then cakes and cookies, but my bread is still pretty fine. I dont do it all that often though.
    3.8 on cooking. I can cook most types of meals and I do it well. Cooking 2 times per week for the family was part of my household chores as a teenager, so I got the experience and I also enjoy it.

I cook most of our(me and the gf) meals, she makes the kitchen look like a warzone when she is in there, Im not sure how a otherwise really tidy person can make such a mess lol.... she does 90% of the cleaning around our apartment though, there are 2 things that I keep tidy, the kitchen and my record collection, apart from that, its organized chaos, she on the other hand keeps everything bar the kitchen really neat and tidy, so we are a good team
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2014-01-27 at 11:16 AM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    cooking and grilling yes, baking no
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

15+ Year Old Account
    I am pretty good, but only on the stuff I tend to make. Things like spaghetti bolognaise, pancakes and things like that. Overall I can make maybe 10-15 different dishes which I cycle through over and over

As for baking, there isn't really any science in that other than following a recipe, which I can do by the way.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Made a Thanksgiving dinner at age 16 with a little help from my brother when my mom basically said im staying in bed for thanksgiving, she answered some questions about timing, but I took a foods class in HS in the states and got a 100% and aced my final making baked alaska, but i love cooking on open fires so im a meat burner mostlly now.
    Not flying my Sig because somebody got butthurt because I posted a question that they didn't like in they're little pet post and sicked ScrapBot on me :P

Bread Baker/Pastry Chef by trade here, and while I was in college our Head Baker's always drilled home the point that we weren't Chefs, we were bakers. We bake stuff, chef's cook stuff.
    Also, one of the baker's that trained me, when ever I said "Shall I cook this in the oven?" would always snap back "Bake it, your using an oven, you fuckin bake it, chef's cook!"

Fun times.

Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    As for baking, there isn't really any science in that other than following a recipe, which I can do by the way.
    Getting the yiest just right when baking bread is science at the highest possible level. ; )
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Deleted
    I'm an alright cook. I'd put myself around 3. What amazed me about my flatmates last year is most of them didn't know how to use the oven. Pretty sure one of them existed on sandwiches alone.

As far as baking I'm decent. No artist so cakes and the like don't look professional but they taste good. It always makes me laugh when my boss tells me she's baked her own bread then tells me she did it in a bread-maker with a pre-mixed sachet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raldazzar View Post
    so as a Chef.. you think you are better then a Master Chef? :P
    I've got an AA Rosette and a City of Glasgow Culinary College grad.

I head the Gordon Ramsay 'End of Summer' dinner in Glasgow.

So yeah I'm not bad.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slenderman View Post
    I've got an AA Rosette and a City of Glasgow Culinary College grad.

I head the Gordon Ramsay 'End of Summer' dinner in Glasgow.

So yeah I'm not bad.
    I don't understand any of this but it sounds impressive

It depends on what it is though, im pretty good at most things, haveing learned from several generations in my family. However being male in my family.. Me and my brother are the first that actually cook and clean. I want to kick my fathers ass when i'm home for christmas or something as he sits on his ass and does nothing. (he is a *man*).
    So if i lack some skills in the kitchen, i blame the oldways But i'm good, most women i know are horrible in the kitchen.
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.”

I will gladly spend time and money on making a restaurant-worthy dinner or cakes. I guess I'm between 3 and 4.
    When I was student, I used to live on frozen pizza and stuff like that, but I never eat that now. I'm not always eating fine steaks, but even fast food is better when it's home made. The more you do it, the better it gets and the faster you're doing it.
    Mother pus bucket!

10+ Year Old Account
    Baking is my forte. Other aspects of cooking can take me a few tries to pick up, but I seem to have a knack for baking.

I know I'm good because I made macarons correctly the first time I tried. -claps delightedly-
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

I'm between 2 and 3. I can make 3-4 dishes really well and the rest is just some basic stuff.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aspect of Death View Post

It depends on what it is though, im pretty good at most things, haveing learned from several generations in my family. However being male in my family.. Me and my brother are the first that actually cook and clean. I want to kick my fathers ass when i'm home for christmas or something as he sits on his ass and does nothing. (he is a *man*).
    So if i lack some skills in the kitchen, i blame the oldways But i'm good, most women i know are horrible in the kitchen.

I like to cook. Give me a basic recipe and I can mold it into anything. When you grow up how I did, you learn how to make a meal out of literally anything you can find. Helps that I have some talent for it. I make up stuff on the spot sometimes and my family wants the recipes. Sadly, I never really measure things out so its hard to give them the recipes. Even my gf loves it when I make new things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    I like to cook. Give me a basic recipe and I can mold it into anything. When you grow up how I did, you learn how to make a meal out of literally anything you can find. Helps that I have some talent for it. I make up stuff on the spot sometimes and my family wants the recipes. Sadly, I never really measure things out so its hard to give them the recipes. Even my gf loves it when I make new things.
    I don't know why, but that reminds me of that Portlander chef from Chopped that made food out of garbage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Slenderman View Post
    snip
    I see you squeezing them lemons.
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.”

I would like to be better. However, I find it hard to be better when my family limits me as to what I cook.

My husband is like a borderline vegetarian. I say this because he will eat chicken - no other meat. He'll happy eat salad over any meat any day. I'm not the best cook when it comes to chicken. Most of my dishes consist of the same type of chicken.... chicken parmesan... chicken spaghetti .... 3 cheese chicken.... yeah, thats all the chicken dishes I know. I've been with my husband for 10 years now.. I can't take this chicken anymore!

My oldest daughter (6) gives me the most problems. She will *NOT* eat ANY red meat - and barely eats chicken. Whats worse, she doesn't want veggies either!! Her daily meals consist of mac n cheese and french toast. She does however love fruit.

My youngest daughter (fixing to be 2), will eat ANYTHING! (hooray!, I finally won in our gene pool). During the Christmas break, my brother visited and we went to a BBQ place. My youngest was with us. Imagine my delight when she started eating my brisket and ribs that I ordered!!

Anyway...........help?

lol

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aspect of Death View Post
    I see you squeezing them lemons.
    I like your train of thought.

Jeez I wouldn't mind Katy as a Sous Chef.