Poll: How well do you cook/bake?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demona3 View Post
    I would like to be better. However, I find it hard to be better when my family limits me as to what I cook.

My husband is like a borderline vegetarian. I say this because he will eat chicken - no other meat. He'll happy eat salad over any meat any day. I'm not the best cook when it comes to chicken. Most of my dishes consist of the same type of chicken.... chicken parmesan... chicken spaghetti .... 3 cheese chicken.... yeah, thats all the chicken dishes I know. I've been with my husband for 10 years now.. I can't take this chicken anymore!

My oldest daughter (6) gives me the most problems. She will *NOT* eat ANY red meat - and barely eats chicken. Whats worse, she doesn't want veggies either!! Her daily meals consist of mac n cheese and french toast. She does however love fruit.

My youngest daughter (fixing to be 2), will eat ANYTHING! (hooray!, I finally won in our gene pool). During the Christmas break, my brother visited and we went to a BBQ place. My youngest was with us. Imagine my delight when she started eating my brisket and ribs that I ordered!!

Anyway...........help?

lol
    Tell him to pick a meat that isn't disgusting to handle in its raw state.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Tell him to pick a meat that isn't disgusting to handle in its raw state.
    Handling chicken doesn't bother me in the least. He'll, I've helped gut a deer once to cook.

I would like to be better. However, I find it hard to be better when my family limits me as to what I cook.

My husband is like a borderline vegetarian. I say this because he will eat chicken - no other meat. He'll happy eat salad over any meat any day. I'm not the best cook when it comes to chicken. Most of my dishes consist of the same type of chicken.... chicken parmesan... chicken spaghetti .... 3 cheese chicken.... yeah, thats all the chicken dishes I know. I've been with my husband for 10 years now.. I can't take this chicken anymore!

My oldest daughter (6) gives me the most problems. She will *NOT* eat ANY red meat - and barely eats chicken. Whats worse, she doesn't want veggies either!! Her daily meals consist of mac n cheese and french toast. She does however love fruit.

My youngest daughter (fixing to be 2), will eat ANYTHING! (hooray!, I finally won in our gene pool). During the Christmas break, my brother visited and we went to a BBQ place. My youngest was with us. Imagine my delight when she started eating my brisket and ribs that I ordered!!

Anyway...........help?

lol
    Try chili powder on you're chicken. Cut the breasts into chunks, spice with chili power while still rawr, then cook in a small amount of oil. Eat it like that or toss on some tortilla shells in a lightly greased frying pan, toss in some cheese and some of the chicken. Fold over and lightly brown on both sides. Yummy ^-^. Dunno if thats the help you wanted or not

10+ Year Old Account
    Handling chicken doesn't bother me in the least. He'll, I've helped gut a deer once to cook.
    Call me a child of industrial civilization, but...yeah, no. I can barely stand handling chicken. It's fucking gross.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Try chili powder on you're chicken. Cut the breasts into chunks, spice with chili power while still rawr, then cook in a small amount of oil. Eat it like that or toss on some tortilla shells in a lightly greased frying pan, toss in some cheese and some of the chicken. Fold over and lightly brown on both sides. Yummy ^-^. Dunno if thats the help you wanted or not
    That does sound really good. TY. I will have to try it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Half decent at cooking. Had ocassions where i turned on the wrong plate on the stove and turned my attention elsewhere but other then such brain farts things usually turn out quite alright.

Call me a child of industrial civilization, but...yeah, no. I can barely stand handling chicken. It's fucking gross.
    Back in school in biology class we onced disected a frozen deer head, fascinating exprience even if as you say, some people do find handling dead animals to that level to be quite gross.
    Last edited by zealo; 2014-01-27 at 12:07 PM.

That does sound really good. TY. I will have to try it.
    No problem. Hope they like it.

I just don't really think about it. I guess it was just the way I was brought up. My dad enjoyed fishing and one of my brothers enjoyed hunting. The only thing I never liked, was watching my mom take the scales off a fish.......shudder......

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Half decent at cooking. Had ocassions where i turned on the wrong plate on the stove and turned my attention elsewhere but other then such brain farts things usually turn out quite alright.
    Did you split the chocolate and burn the milk....

My brother was boiling water and caught the stove top on fire. My sister caught the house partially on fire because she lit the coffee on fire with the burner by accident. My siblings can't cook too well lol

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I do cook and bake. I'd like to think I'm fairly good at it

I'm great at stews and soups. But I can also make bread, cookies and pastries!

10+ Year Old Account
    Was making a cheese sauce for a lasagna at the time, everything turned out alright but things could have catched fire there. >.<

Deleted
    3.5 i'd say.
    I'm a pretty good cook, but lack a lot on the bakery side of things.

10+ Year Old Account
    I tend to see a lot of similarities between people who say they can't bake. Namely that they tend to either under or overwork dough/batter/meringue, don't temper chocolate correctly, and aren't very intimate with their cooking equipment.

2-3. I'm better at baking than stovetop. I make some mad brownies, yo.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    I have no interest in baking - but can cook. Basically anyone who can read, can cook. Guess that goes for baking too, I am just not into cakes and christmas cookies.
    That depends. I don't have the attention span to make chicken dumplings, but I can bake. I think it's the patience involved in standing over a pot that makes the difference.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

Anyway...........help?

lol
    Being a vegetarian doesn't mean boring food, not in the slightest. There's a lot of really good asian food that's vegetarian. Indian has some great veggie food.

Sounds to me like your husband has an eating disorder or something. Like something has prompted him dislike anything else, and your oldest daughter might be emulating that.

Then again, kids have their strange periods. They like some things a lot, then they start liking something else. If it starts becoming a weight problem for her, you need to step in as a parent and refuse to give her that which is unhealthy to her. Does the Mac 'n' Cheese have any flavor enhancers in it? Avoid those.
    Encourage the fruit eating.

A kid that eats anything? That's quite unusual They're often very picky at a young age.

Your oldest daughter is imitating your husband. Your youngest is imitating you.

Deleted
    haven't poisoned myself or anyone.....yet so a 3-4

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    Being a vegetarian doesn't mean boring food, not in the slightest.
    I disagree.

There's a lot of really good asian food that's vegetarian. Indian has some great veggie food.
    Best indian food has meat products in it.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I tend to see a lot of similarities between people who say they can't bake. Namely that they tend to either under or overwork dough/batter/meringue, don't temper chocolate correctly, and aren't very intimate with their cooking equipment.
    Or have inferior ovens and other utensils, like me My oven is easily 20-25 years old, but I don't own the apartment so I can't get a new one. I'd have to badger my...what's the word... the guy that owns the apartments, him.
    I still do some baking though, but some things just can't be done because my oven is ancient.

I went to culinary school, I like to think I'm pretty good at baking. It was all cool until I learned the chances of making a decent living were pretty slim. Plus doing a hobby as a career would kind of ruin it for me.