Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I've never really felt like having a biological child was a big deal. Adopted or biological, they'd still be my child.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarthan View Post
    I am not raising somebody's kid who was to much of a scum bag to raise it themselves.

Why should poor people, drug users, anyone who was unfit to raise a child be able to pass their genes on?
    Could you possibly be any more ignorant.. What does poverty have to do with the ability to raise a child? Absolutely fuck all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    I won't elaborate too much as it's a pretty common debate.

Why create children when there are so many children out there that need love and are just as young and viable? If you had a child and it was accidently switched at birth with another child you'd love it and raise it just the same as long as you didn't know. The obsession with having biological children is entirely primordial without any logical basis.

Then again, it is so ingrained in the psyche that I understand people succumbing to it. Also, if a couple has two kids or less they aren't a problem in regards to overpopulation.

What are your thoughts?
    My thoughts are that this is one of the most ridiculous, stupid topics I've ever seen on this board.

Who the hell are you to tell anyone besides yourself that its wrong of them to have children? Or dictate how many they can have before they cause a problem?

Wow, I'm legitimately in awe of how much ignorance you packed into so few words.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    My thoughts are that this is one of the most ridiculous, stupid topics I've ever seen on this board.

Who the hell are you to tell anyone besides yourself that its wrong of them to have children? Or dictate how many they can have before they cause a problem?

Wow, I'm legitimately in awe of how much ignorance you packed into so few words.
    It will never be a concern in your lifetime, but you do know that the earth has limited resources right?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    It will never be a concern in your lifetime, but you do know that the earth has limited resources right?
    Pray tell, what limited resources is there that would make humans unable to live on earth? At worst you'd lose some luxury.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    Pray tell, what limited resources is there that would make humans unable to live on earth? At worst you'd lose some luxury.
    Chocolate and Bees, clearly.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Most ethical systems are designed around inbuilt human desires. It's our way of rationalising them. So I find the title kind of oxymoronic.

IMO either you build an ethical system in which the desire to reproduce is axiomatically "good" or you just reject ethical systems entirely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    My friends just started fostering a couple of kids. I think it's pretty awesome and the kids are cool when I have been around. A history I would not wish on anyone else, but very loving and well behaved, at least around other people. That comment about 'scumbags' is pretty messed up... Their past should be an additional kick of empathy, not a condemnation of the kids...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

I think having kids is unethical if you are an Anti-abortion person. Only because they are against fetuses being "killed" and want it to grow into a kid and have a life yet they don't want to help out with it once its popped out. Why have a kid if there's one you can raise that you voiced your opinion over so loudly?

I wouldn't be opposed to adopting myself.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    I wouldn't be opposed to adopting myself.
    If you are over 18 shouldn't you already be in charge of yourself? How would you ever adopt yourself?
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

If you are over 18 shouldn't you already be in charge of yourself? How would you ever adopt yourself?
    Oh did I miss a comma there?
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

6) What forums? Where? Saying things doesn't prove it is true.
    There is someone running around on this forum with "Having children is immoral" or something as a quote in their signature. I usually remember the signature and not the person attached to it.

Deleted
    Sounds like the way I was thinking when I was 15 and naive. The cost of adoption alone excludes many people.

Uhm, why would I want someone else's kid?

Not exactly my fault those uncivilised ''people'' pop out 20 kids even though they can barely support 1.

I'm biologically broken, so I would kind of have to adopt. (Can't afford it, however, so I guess it's for the best.)

Aside from that, there have been too many stories of pregnant women dropping dead or suffering from medical malpractice, in the past five years, for me to want to take that risk.
    Also, I have enough issues that I would not want to pass on to the next generation. Hubby is amazing, and I think his genes should continue on...he'll just have to find a girlfriend to accomplish that, though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    Uhm, why would I want someone else's kid?

Not exactly my fault those uncivilised ''people'' pop out 20 kids even though they can barely support 1.
    Not the child's fault. Without a good role model, that child would be fated to just repeat the cycle. Or do you approve of systematically killing of the kids created from these irresponsible individuals?

Quote Originally Posted by RaenavenBlacksun View Post

Not the child's fault. Without a good role model, that child would be fated to just repeat the cycle. Or do you approve of systematically killing of the kids created from these irresponsible individuals?
    Pretty big strawman there.

My wife and I are not planning on having children.

I do not hold it against a responsible couple if they have the desire to raise a child or two. Part of me does feel like people who have large families are being selfish.

I prefer a child who's an extension of myself, raising a child, specially a biological one, is very much a selfish act... you want YOUR genes to continue, you want to nurture that child, who carries your genes to succeed, to be happy, to reflect upon you as-well.

I'm not sure wether I'll ever want to have children, but if I will, I'd want to be their 1.0 version... I don't care much for the children of others.

What's with all the "Is X unethical" silly questions all of a sudden?

Must be a slow news week for Off-Topic to become THIS bored.