Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    leveling the traditional way should slowly introduce you to spells and your class abilities over time. you should have real character development and learn to use different spells in different locations.

Oh this boss enraged, oh but i'm a druid and i just got "soothe". i guess i can remove that! cool.

instead you get players that have boosted to 90 instantly, have no idea how to play their character effectively and a weaker pool of players.
    In reference to your location, you must be doing some Lord of the Rings style quest for coffee.

In response to your post, I'll say that even at maximum level, I find myself with a huge multitude of spells that, sure, I know what they do! But I don't know how to play efficiently. I'd say that comes with time, with practise, and with a little bit of study on even the basic guides on Icy Veins. Of course, common sense does play a part, and a boosted character to 90 will be in the hands of

a) Someone doing Raid Finder, where even a rudimentary knowledge of the class mechanics will usually provide adequate performance.
    b) Someone doing actual raids, who will 9/10 look into actual methods of learning their new class.

Deleted
    i have many 90s and i dont care about if anyone want's to buy a boost. The way i see it i have saved myself alot of money doing it myself. just like how i wont pay for a fraction change so i just level that char i want again but on the other side.

leveling the traditional way should slowly introduce you to spells and your class abilities over time. you should have real character development and learn to use different spells in different locations.

Oh this boss enraged, oh but i'm a druid and i just got "soothe". i guess i can remove that! cool.

instead you get players that have boosted to 90 instantly, have no idea how to play their character effectively and a weaker pool of players.
    It's still a terrible way to introduce spells because abilities like Sooth are so incredibly situational and rare that Blizzard doesn't even factor removable buffs in most PVE raid situations. Learning about Disarm and Soothe Beast won't make you any more skillful in the end game, having not used those abilities at all since lvl 15 or whatever arbitrary level you got the ability at. Skill in the end game requires more about learning the fights and knowing your class - which is usually taught through guides and experience, not remembering a mini tutorial on how to use abilities while leveling up. The only way I can see them teaching people how to raid is if there were low-level raids available to understand the concept of basic rotations and using situational spells. All current content for leveling is way undertuned for any sort of meaningful intro-raid experience.

Yeah, this has got to be one of the more amusing excuses... Seriously, which NEW player would think to use Soothe unless told, especially when leveling dungeons these days don't even requires proper healers or tanks. I don't think Tranq Shot or Soothe were ever used unless a raid leader specifically told you to.

Leveling does absolutely nothing to teach a player anything. I remember when I hit max for the first time in BC. I was stacking stam and int because I liked the idea of being able to take a few hits. I was a Mage. Nothing in game told me otherwise, nothing in game outside of the character creation tips tell you otherwise now.

Leveling the traditional way SHOULD slowly introduce you to spells and your class' abilities, yes, I agree. But it doesn't and never will. Why? Because Blizzard doesn't have time to write tutorials and mini quests for every single new spell that a class gets.

The difference between a NEW player that levels up and a NEW player that boosts to 90 is this - one will learn the extreme basics of the class via leveling from 1 - 100 and the other will die 100 times between level 90 and 91 and will be FORCED to learn the basics in a timely manner if they want their questing experience from 90 to 100 to be somewhat peaceful.

I think it's absolutely disgusting that anyone would want to discriminate against someone who chooses to boost, what difference does it make to you? - Insert: QQ more shitty players QQ. NEWS FLASH, the game is already full of them.
    Last edited by Bloodlight; 2014-02-01 at 02:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some kind of yellow badge, maybe.

Yes instead of help new players. Take a big steamy dump on them. Just because they want to play WOD content, and have a job.

Quote Originally Posted by ace94 View Post
    Yeah, but you worked hard on that and you should get recognition. Blizzard give FoS for a lot less........
    Leveling isn't hard. Just time consuming; I don't feel the need to be recognized for the hours I've burned/wasted on a video game.

There is no point in marking someone as an auto leveled player other than to give assholes someone to zero in on and harass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do some people legitimately think that leveling to 90 teaches you something that you wouldn't learn 90-100? I thought we were past this...

Killing quest mobs doesn't teach you how to work efficiently with groups or anything beyond the absolute basics, something that you would easily learn before hitting 100 using either method.

If you choose the dungeon route, it's no different. In fact, if you wanted to be extreme, you could even say it's detrimental for newer players because they fly through dungeons thinking that they can just zerg bosses and ignore mechanics.

As the leveling system is now, there are no benefits for a newer player to play through 90 levels of outdated content.

To all the folks that say "leveling teaches you the class" - what game are you playing?

No, seriously, what game are you referring to?

Since Cata (if not even before) leveling in WoW has been done WITH UP TO 3 BUTTONS - 2 of them are for damage spells and 1 is for the mount!

Leveling in WoW teaches you NOTHING:

- you don't need a rotation
    - you dont need crowd control
    - you dont need mobility or positioning
    - you dont need defensive spells
    - you dont need dispels or soothes
    - you dont need to micro manage your pet's spells
    - you dont need to read a single quest log or any spell/talent/glyph tooltip
    - you dont need any form of consumables or pre-potting,
    - you dont have to worry about threat in dungeons since mobs are wimpy
    - you dont have to know below lvl90 boss spells since none are a danger
    - you dont have to manage your mana as a healer until lvl90
    - you can spam AoE healing for just 1 target and still do wonderful
    - you dont need any teamwork or party coordination for dungeons
    - you can stand in any form of a fire for as much as you want
    - you can use completely wrong gear or even be naked and still breeze through quests
    - you can even use completely wrong weapons and still own any mob of your level
    - leveling professions is pretty much pointless since gold is very plentiful from questing

Having people instantly boosted to lvl90 will do absolutely nothing bad.
    People who do not want to learn their class WILL NOT get any "education" from leveling - please stop lying to yourself and living in a pipe dream...
    Last edited by Aleksej89; 2014-02-01 at 06:42 AM.

The message this thread is trying to send: "I want to be able to find and shun players because they will screw me up in difficult content."

The message Blizzard receives: "Difficult content makes people behave like jerks."
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, but you worked hard on that and you should get recognition. Blizzard give FoS for a lot less........
    If you consider playing wow hard work, I wonder what you will think if you got a real job one day.

Seriously you people are ridiculous.

If you want a way to spot a boosted character: compare the dated of the low level dungeon completion with the date of the 90 ding.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The message this thread is trying to send: "I want to be able to find and shun players because they will screw me up in difficult content."

The message Blizzard receives: "Difficult content makes people behave like jerks."
    Oh I doubt that is news for Blizzard.
    Difficult stuff always comes with bragging rights.

Problem is: Leveling is trivial in difficulty and nothing to brag about.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    Learning full range of class abilities is not at all necessary in traditional leveling.

I initially got to level cap in BC. Did a bit of pvp, couple looks inside Kara ... Wrath launches, I level again, get to cap ... do a bit of t7 raiding, bit of t8 raiding ... joined a new guild and only then realized I didn't know jack about how to play. Then I learned because I wanted to know, and most of that learning took place on WoW fansites.

Someone who wants to know will figure it out, no matter how they got there. Same for the inverse -- someone who doesn't care will not learn, no matter how they got there.
    well you both have a point. while its true someone not caring enough wont do research at all, its also true leveling will show you how abilities work, what synergizes and what doesnt, when to use certain CDs etc. anyone who had premade monk during beta will tell you that if you just created 85 monk and scrolled through the spellbook, you wouldnt know a thing about how stuff sworks for either of the roles besides distinguishing what are damage spells and what are heals. its also easier setting up hotkeys one at the time during leveling than 40 binds all at once, especially for a casual.

I think Blizzard should at least add this. When a character is boosted to 90 that there would be a way to tell it was a boosted character and not a leveled character by hand. For example FoS that is character specific or something along these lines. For people who leveled a lot of characters in Vanilla,TBC,WOTLk and so on that they would get a recognition. I think it just sucks that a lot of people worked hard on getting a lot of characters to max level and now a single new guy can purchase each character class and boost him to 90 in no time. All you need is $$$$
    You get a boost on your professions if you level it up without purchasing the insta-90 button called the "Veteran's Something-or-other".

How does it suck when someone can buy their way to relevant content instead of grinding out boring, repetative quests through zones that are not filled with players. Or dealing with long dungeon ques on lower level dungeons? Or having to wait until people ganking low level players leave to continue questing?

It's not fun. If they want to skip the boring part, let them. No one should have to deal with an 89-level grindfest to remotely begin to have fun in the game.

15+ Year Old Account
    I have all classes on the horde and alliance side on level 90.

I dont care that people can get free 90.

I just love to level up, i dont have any haste to reach 90 fast and get raiding etc.

All in time
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

Deleted
    Yeah, I can already see it.
    "LFM DPS & 1 heal BRF norm, have x+ iLvl and leveled from 1"
    "DPS here, got 1 healer and 1 more dps. Their names are x and y, y is an alt but has good gear"
    "y has achi, no thx. u wanna join without him?"

Man, it'll be so great. Arbitrary stigmatization has never been bad for a community, right?

10+ Year Old Account

This is true, but why should the veterans be also punished with this proposed idea the OP seems to be suggesting? It works for one situation, but doesn't work out well for the other situation being Veterans that just don't want to level any more alts, this way to distinguish who boosted or not can only lead to bad things and Veterans getting punished for it, despite having read up on the class the moment they boosted that character.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Compstance View Post
    If we're going to do this, we should have a separate one for those who used RaF. And another one for those who were granted levels through RaF. And for those who didn't use heirlooms. Maybe one for those who didn't use a DPS spec leveling up.
    i like this idea

I think it is a bad idea to add in something that shows who bought a level 90 boost.

15+ Year Old Account
    Why, why and why?

Really?

Stop being so incredibly hurt by others playing the game differently than yourself. Seriously.

There should be no way to single out the boosted players I mean come on. Granted, I will not be buying one since the only non 90 I have is a monk and I'll use my free one on that one. But still. This thread just shows, to me, how non open this community is to new players. For the first time that I can remember, Blizzard is making an active attempt to GET NEW BLOOD INTO THE GAME instead of trying to BRING BACK OLD PLAYERS. This should make people happy. And maybe, these new players wouldn't be jerks if people were nicer to them in dungeons when offering advice instead of "Hey Jerkoff, way to pull x-dps below the tank not gtfo out of my dungeon."
    Thank You Shyama for the sig again!!