Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Edge of the Mists - February 4th

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/01...-next-content/

Edge of the MistsGuild Wars 2's new World vs. World map, the Edge of the Mists, has been in beta testing for several months. Soon, players will get to experience it in the live game, along with (hopefully) reduced WvW queue times and new opportunities to beat up players from rival realities. There's trouble in PvP paradise, though, and it comes in familiar red airships.

ArenaNet's Colin Johanson and Meelad Sadat sat down with us to talk about the upcoming content release, appropriately named Edge of the Mists. Jump past the cut to grab some info and watch the teaser video!

The living world story's iconic characters are heading their separate ways for now. Players will meet up with Marjory Delaqua and Kasmeer Meade at The Dead End, where they've gathered all available evidence on Scarlet from both recent and past events. More of Scarlet Briar's character and motivations will be revealed through their investigation as they attempt to figure out her plan and stay ahead of her next move.

In the previous release, The Origins of Madness, players made the acquaintance of Taimi, a tiny Asura progeny who rides a golem named Scruffy and has an unusually cheerful interest in Scarlet's theories. She also seems to have captured the hearts of quite a few players. Johanson explained that Taimi is an orphan, although ArenaNet isn't ready to tell the story behind the loss of her parents just yet. She's been described as the ward of Destiny's Edge member Zojja; while players won't find out the details of their relationship in this release, Johanson did mention that Zojja has difficulty handling people who think they're smarter than she is. And since Taimi, who is technically a student of the Asuran colleges, has decided to ditch school completely and take her education into her own hands, we suspect this might be a point of conflict in the future.

Taimi has already taken a shine to Braham Eirsson (to his dismay). In spite of his grumbling, Braham is softhearted enough to chase after her when she does something really dangerous: Scarlet is sending her Aetherblades to the Edge of the Mists to set the final stage of her plan in motion, and Taimi has followed them.

Johanson described this release as the lightest of the four living world season finale chapters. The primary gameplay content for this chapter will take place in the Edge of the Mists map itself, as the Aetherblades try to claim it for their mistress. As for what Scarlet hopes to gain there, or what information players might discover for themselves, you'll have to step in and find out!

If the Edge of the Mists isn't your thing, don't fret; Scarlet will be continuing to test the Twisted Marionette in Lornar's Pass. European server Desolation has claimed the first kill of the Cobalt, Amber and Crimson Great Jungle Wurms in Bloodtide Coast, but Sadat confirmed that the three-pronged world boss had taken several days longer to down for the first time than the revamped Tequatl encounter. Johanson added that Tequatl was defeated sooner than ArenaNet expected and that the wurm encounter fits the originally estimated time frame for a challenging major world boss defeat more closely.

The Edge of the Mists content release will go live on February 4th. We'd like to thank Colin Johanson and Meelad Sadat for taking the time to chat with us!
    Last edited by Karizee; 2014-01-28 at 02:37 PM.
    Valar morghulis

A Video and a link, not a single word posted with it...

This shouldnt qualify for a thread, but thx for informung us anyway.

Deleted
    Thank you for your time to explain everything to us Karizee. After the vid I was only more confused.

This should be entertaining story wise. Taimi running after scarlet and Braham running after her lol.

Though scarlet being in the mists was predicted long ago. It is the only safe haven where "destiny" doesn't apply and whatever she is trying to awaken can't get her there.
    Last edited by zito; 2014-01-28 at 03:06 PM.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverbleed View Post
    Thank you for your time to explain everything to us Karizee. After the vid I was only more confused.
    That's the Massively article which includes snippets of the interview with Colin Johanson :P
    Last edited by Karizee; 2014-01-28 at 04:01 PM.
    Valar morghulis

Deleted
    Well that explains even more. I'm lazy. (And I didn't notice the interview link lmao)

10+ Year Old Account
    Haha, no worries - just didn't want to take credit for something that wasn't mine

I've so been looking forward to this update, I never did get into the beta for it but from the videos and map images I've seen, this new zone is MASSIVE. Can't wait to explore it.
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    Had fun the first days I tested it in the beta, it's a really nice place :P!
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

The "lightest" release of the 4 annoys me. They said these would be huge updates, the first one was already really light is this one just going to have a bunch of kill aetherblade events and no continuation to the story again?

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    The "lightest" release of the 4 annoys me. They said these would be huge updates, the first one was already really light is this one just going to have a bunch of kill aetherblade events and no continuation to the story again?
    Yea that comment really confuses me too because this is supposed to be the patch that answers a lot of the revolving questions we've had about her :/

previews should be previews not vague snippets with conflicting statements

oh wait I forgot this is Anet.

Deleted
    Even lightier update? Oh my...

But zone looks very pretty. And I liked the video.

Honestly, anyone who thought Anet would deliver in any way whatsoever with these last LS updates was only fooling themselves. The first two (including this edge of the mists one) are pretty laughable from a LS perspective. Exactly what I expected. Little content and the content we do get is pretty piss poor.

I'm not referring to the Edge of the Mists map itself, just the LS aspect of the two updates.

Edge of the mists map itself is an entirely different team that has been working on like over half a year now. The LS team slapping scarlet on it seems like a cop out to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well LS story team has been working on the Scarlet arc since shortly after launch I think? It's been a year since the first chapter in Jan 2013. I think it's cool that they will roll out new zones through the Living Story rather than just POOF! suddenly a map.

How they do it remains to be seen. They probably want to give the map a good workout on live before the next WvW Season starts and having all the PvE-ers go in as well will highlight anything that didn't show up in the beta.
    Valar morghulis

Did they say they'd be huge? I recall them saying 4 updates until the big finish, but not much about the actual updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Did they say they'd be huge? I recall them saying 4 updates until the big finish, but not much about the actual updates.
    No its not 4 updates till the big finish, it is 4 big updates left then a break then a big patch.

I don't know about you, but the first part of these 4 was imho pretty big. We had an update with a revamped Tequatl once, now we got 2 entirely new world bosses with very unique mechanics. What did you expect? A whole expansion? Sorry, but... lol.

Again, I don't know why anyone would be surprised. Anet has historically thought their content updates are more and better than they actually are. I think they add up the amount of hours they worked on it and think, "This is a huge patch! ...even though it only has 2 things to do in it!"
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Again, I don't know why anyone would be surprised. Anet has historically thought their content patches are more and better than they actually are. I think they add up the amount of hours they worked on it and think, "This is a huge patch! ...even though it only has 2 things to do in it!"
    I dunno, it sort of feels like when a new raid tier would drop in WoW and everyone would start counting bosses and debating how big the raid was.

Everyone has their own opinion on how much content is good, or how much makes it "huge" or whatever. Two "not-raid" bosses was a fine addition, IMO, following it with a Wv update sort of reduces it. It was a good 2 week updates, but not a good 4 week update.