Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Somehow the super bowl is a national security event.

"NEW JERSEY (MYFOXNY.COM) - Super Bowl XLVIII has been declared a level one national security event. Part of that security is to examine every item that is being brought in for Sunday's big game.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents will work around the clock to X-ray every delivery truck and any other vehicle authorized to enter the MetLife Stadium complex for anything suspicious.

"We are looking at all of the information and see if it has an effect on any event related to the Super Bowl," Aaron Ford, FBI special agent says.
    The real purpose of this thread is to inform you readers on what's considered a national security event, please enjoy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationa...Security_Event

Deleted
    If they are under threat maybe don't have the event?
    And what about next year or the next big event that is threatened? Going to cancel every event that pulls a large crowd?

Deleted
    So just deploy troops in the streets at every event, tanks etc.
    So your point in this thread so far has been to state that it should be the NFL's job to pick up the tab, but because its the Governments job, every event should be a military operation?

Not really seeing a point thus far.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good? Who do you think is paying for this? Not the NFL.
    I'm fine with my taxes going toward the security, considering how many people will be in attendance and the risk of massive loss of life even a dud threat could cause by causing a panic in the stands. People get trampled in stampedes every Black Friday; imagine the sort of hell on earth it would be at the Super Bowl if someone made a bomb threat at halftime.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Deleted
    So just deploy troops in the streets at every event, tanks etc.
    My sides.

Worst thing is, i think you're serious too.

If they are under threat maybe don't have the event?
    And then the terrorists have won.

Only 3 none Economic Summit/Governmental events have been given this level of security previously, so it's not unprecedented.

July 3, 2000 (to July 9) Operation Sail Summer Millennium Celebration

Super Bowl XXXVI

2002 Winter Olympics (in Salt Lake City)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    My sides.

Reminds me of Team America when they flatten Paris in order to kill the terrorists.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Reminds me of Team America when they flatten Paris in order to kill the terrorists.
    Oh yeah, you take that freedom France, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    My sides.

I am serious there are military there, wait a few years when a soldier is stationed at all these events checking your papers because national security.

Deleted
    I'm not sure if he's trying to invoke some sort of slippery slope thing here or what, but it doesn't really work with the Superbowl. It is, or was, the biggest televised sporting event of the year, with somewhere near a 100 million people tuning in, the only other sporting event that brings in that many viewers yearly is the UEFA Champions League final, to give my European brethren some scale for reference.

Now your ripping on the NFL for not footing the bill. But how much money is that Superbowl, via advertisements, taxes, just a general sales increase of things like beer and party food going to generate? I'm going to assume when you put the tax money generated from the Superbowl into the equation, the Superbowl pays for its own security.

Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    "Super Bowl cancelled due to terror threat".

You do understand that would be seen as a victory for terrorism yes? A sign that terrorism works and that people will give in to demands. Are you seriously that dense?
    Super Bowl cancelled due to terror threat = terrorists win.

NSA, being given extraordinary powers in the wake of terror activity secretly records pretty much every aspect of every American's life and stores it all in a database expansive enough to keep it for decades, children now get molested by air port security random searches. Travelling beyond the US Canada border now requires a passport, which it didn't for hundreds of years prior. etc etc = terrorists....lose?

Deleted
    I am serious there are military there, wait a few years when a soldier is stationed at all these events checking your papers because national security.
    And thats bad because? We had servicemen and women on security at the Olympics last year in the UK, sure that was due to a cock up with the security organisers, but they seemed to do a bang up job.

Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    I'm not sure if he's trying to invoke some sort of slippery slope thing here or what, but it doesn't really work with the Superbowl. It is, or was, the biggest televised sporting event of the year, with somewhere near a 100 million people tuning in, the only other sporting event that brings in that many viewers yearly is the UEFA Champions League final, to give my European brethren some scale for reference.

Now your ripping on the NFL for not footing the bill. But how much money is that Superbowl, via advertisements, taxes, just a general sales increase of things like beer and party food going to generate? I'm going to assume when you put the tax money generated from the Superbowl into the equation, the Superbowl pays for its own security.
    What with companies paying something like a million dollars per second of air-time for advertisements, that money would probably cover the security cost.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Super Bowl cancelled due to terror threat = terrorists win.

NSA, being given extraordinary powers in the wake of terror activity secretly records pretty much every aspect of every American's life and stores it all in a database expansive enough to keep it for decades, children now get molested by air port security random searches. Travelling beyond the US Canada border now requires a passport, which it didn't for hundreds of years prior. etc etc = terrorists....lose?
    Gotta take the small victories, we give up some freedoms for security, inb4 someone pulls out that stupid american quote thats always misquoted when someone says that.

Deleted
    It's true Mittens, we were telling the truth all the time!

10+ Year Old Account
    I would hope no terrorist is stupid enough to attack the Super Bowl. If there is one thing that would get the American people to support invading the entire freaking planet, it would be blowing up the Super Bowl.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

And for one of the world's most retarded sports.

so they're basically just fear-mongering us? who's the terrorist now...

Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post
    I would hope no terrorist is stupid enough to attack the Super Bowl. If there is one thing that would get the American people to support invading the entire freaking planet, it would be blowing up the Super Bowl.
    Yes, vengeance would be had and the concept of death would fundamentally change around the world.