SLI or new single Card?

Hey Guys,

Simple question really, I've been considering upgrading my GPU for some time now in prep for some of the new games that are coming out this year, which will likely be quite graphically intensive. I currently run a Nvidia EVGA 660Ti.

I was considering upgrading to a GTX 760 / 770, but I had a thought today, that rather than doing this, would getting another card and setting up a SLI config work slightly better?

In addition, I wanted to just double check the requirements for a SLI config, I'm assuming that the card needs to be the same type, so I'd need to have another 660TI, but does the card need to be the same model and from the same manufacturer? or could I have say a gigabyte and an Asus card without any issues?

Thanks,

Dév

You'd be better off with a 780 versus a pair of 660's, but that breakpoint is nebulous depending upon the specific game in question.

You can mix and match between different manufacturers so long as the cards are the same chip, revision, and memory size.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Devboy View Post
    Hey Guys,

Simple question really, I've been considering upgrading my GPU for some time now in prep for some of the new games that are coming out this year, which will likely be quite graphically intensive. I currently run a Nvidia EVGA 660Ti.

I was considering upgrading to a GTX 760 / 770, but I had a thought today, that rather than doing this, would getting another card and setting up a SLI config work slightly better?
    Firstly replacing your 660TI with a 760 is not exactly a huge upgrade. you will get better performance from 2 660TI in SLI than you will from a single 760 card.
    In addition, I wanted to just double check the requirements for a SLI config, I'm assuming that the card needs to be the same type, so I'd need to have another 660TI, but does the card need to be the same model and from the same manufacturer? or could I have say a gigabyte and an Asus card without any issues?

Thanks,

Dév
    This is generally the case but people are trying to get around it with some success. http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/th...-cards.158907/

Yea, I didn't want to go too deep with an upgrade, hence why I didn't want to go for a 780, largely due to the cost, and I plan on doing a full new build in a year or 2 anyway, so I figured 2 660Ti's would likely keep me going without any issues until then.

I largely only play WoW, with exception to some of the single player games that get released (Titanfall / WatchDogs etc) so the SLI setup will mainly be for the other games as my card runs wow fine on ultra now anyway. (And once we clear SoO - one left to go, I'll be swapping to these games and might pick up SC2 again until WoD)

I'd like to think that the SLI of 2 660TI's will be enough to handle these other games on reasonable good, if not the highest settings possible. I also intend to do more live streaming, when I have a better upload speed (soon hopefully :P) so having this setup would help with that too I assume?

10+ Year Old Account
    I would suggest you just sit with what you have, you may not run on Ultra, but High settings should still be smooth. And only upgrade IF you find the need to.
    PM me weird stuff :3