Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post

They should quit their day jobs and get on the dole like everyone else.
    Dat ladies teeth!

How does someone let their teeth get that bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    They could have just asked the store, yea maybe they felt deeply ashamed about their situation but still.
    Store said they didn't care and didn't want to pursue charges.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    Police returned the items to the Iceland store.
    Where it was promptly thrown out again, and delivered to a landfill.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    The men were held in a police cell for 19 hours before being released, May said.

Lawyers for the three men have asked the Crown Prosecution Service to consider dropping the case, but the CPS responded this month that the case would go ahead, because "we feel there is significant public interest in prosecuting these three individuals"."
    Happy endings all around!

Since when is taking trash stealing? or..is that only a U.S thing where you can take trash from any unlocked bin and just be looked at weird? Honest question is it only a U.S thing?

Doesn't make sense that there'd even be a case if neither party cared.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

basically in the UK you're screwed if you're hungry and trying to survive.

I can sort of see the argument that you need to discourage this kind of behaviour but it certainly seems petty.

Quote Originally Posted by Malenurse View Post
    "Basically" you're just emo for making yet another of these threads.
    Wow you sure told him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    And to counter your argument fully, I suggest to read this.
    Golly gee. Those Daily mail and right wing conservative blog post sure showed me, mister.

Maybe If the dole folk were willng to work they wouldn't miss out on those amazingly great career oppurtunities? (Is that you at 2:40 btw?)
    Last edited by Cybran; 2014-01-30 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    willing to work
    why would anyone voluntarily choose to work for lower income then what they are currently being given?

throughout the entire dole video, it was stated many times over that they would have to have a job that paid them MUCH MORE then most non-skilled jobs available do in order to stay at the income level they are currently at
    Last edited by Total Crica; 2014-01-30 at 09:43 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by OneSent View Post
    Then the fix to that is quite simple: make the stores who donate the food exempt from any attempts at being sued. People always bring this up, but it's really so easily solved.
    Maybe. But as long as it isn't fixed, it's just way too risky to give out such food. Not worth the risk at all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockers View Post
    FALSE.

Look at it this way... you put your "trash" out, ready for collection. However during the night, a feral cat gets in the bin and makes a mess all over the street of the rubbish you put out.
    You should sue the feral cat. Or gather the trash. Still, there's no information that they threw the trash out and made a mess around.

Or perhaps in an extreme circumstance of Police going through bins looking for evidence. "Sorry Officer, it was in my bin, therefore the knife covered in the victims blood is not mine."
    Yes, and that's why fingerprint scanning was invented. And detective work, and questioning and all that. Also just because the knife does no longer belong to you does not mean that it never belonged to you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    If someone went into your garden, climbing over your fence or such to get in, then started rummaging through your bins and taking items that you paid for without your permission, you would be fine with that? or more likely you would chase them off and threaten to call the police?

Similar deal here. What they take is irrelevant, the point they are trespassing on private property to take items that do not belong to them, and are still technically the property of this company.
    Good question! When the dumpster truck comes I take out my trash. Since the dumpster truck comes around 13.00-14.00 or so but I take out my trash at around 09.00 some guy usually comes and rummages through my trash. Now, when he spills it all over and makes a mess I am unhappy, I admit. But at times he takes what he wants(usually plastic bottles and plastic containers) and ties the bags back. And you know what? I'm fine with that. As long as he doesn't make a mess, why would I be angry? In the end, I'm throwing all those things, it's trash.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Crown Prosecution Case have dropped the case, source: info on Jeremy Vine Show, BBC Radio 2.

Seems Iceland were originally fully supportive of the case, then realised how damaging to PR it was becoming.

Deleted
    Seems like Iceland have been doing much worse in the past...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddr...eating-it.html

"Iceland said the chilled food was thrown out because it was past its "use by" date and not fit for consumption."

& what did they think it`d do to folk that ate food that had known dangerous chemicals on them..?

10+ Year Old Account
    Good. As someone who used to work in retail we had to deal with dead shits braking into our trash all the. I had to case off upwards of 100 people in the years I worked there. There is a reason to. Everything we would throw out was out of date or rotten. The last thing we needed was some scumbag dying because he ate something we threw out. Not to mention how much we had to pay to fix them every time they broke them to get in since they were always locked when nobody was using them.
    Aye mate

10+ Year Old Account
    Discarded food IMO can't be stolen technically. If someone REALLY needs that food, more power to them.

Now for my sarcastic response

"DAMN THOSE STREETRATS!"
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Hmmmmm

I'm on two minds on this.

1) It's ridiculous we've got to this state now that you have to prevent foodless people from taking free food that would otherwise be waste.

2) Having worked at a Food Chain that had been successfully sued by a person who caught food poisoning off an old Prawn Baguette... he got from our trash... I can understand the supermarkets take on this. The supermarket is still responsible for the food and obviously isn't ensuring its quality as it's been thrown out.

Stupid law meets stupid law, but I think I'm actually on the Supermarkets side on this one.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

How does this even happen? If the store isn't pressing charges, how can the government even pursue the case? Is there no separation of criminal and civil court in the UK or is stealing garbage-food serious enough to be considered criminal?