Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    This is why: http://imgur.com/gallery/woBtl
    the people have no experience driving with snow/ice so it's very dangerous
    lol that second picture is just so random...

"snow caused this car to light on fire!"

The fact out of all of this is that nobody in the south can drive worth a fuck.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by axhed View Post
    southern driving courses tend to focus on muddy conditions. it's good to know that strawman 101 is still required where ever the fuck you're from though.
    Strawman? Please, I want to know how you have people treating their cars as if they were bumper cars in two inches of snow? If conditions are slick how are they not driving for these conditions?

Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    If conditions are slick how are they not driving for these conditions?
    It's called slowing the fuck down.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    It's called slowing the fuck down.
    and here's me thinking the south was already slowed down pretty good.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dunno, not driving at regular speeds, being gentle on the brakes in slick conditions, being in very concentrated control over the steering wheel seems common sense to me, regardless of how often you get snow.

Driving a cloverleaf onto an interstate is always fun in a snowstorm.

Major mistakes I always see is people slamming on their brakes when they lose control. WRONG! Be gentle on the brakes and steer slightly in the opposite of the car's swerve until you correct it.
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    I feel sorry for the homeless

10+ Year Old Account
    We're having the same issue in Eastern Tennessee, the problem for us being that because we have a lot of hilly and forest areas the roads don't thaw out very well. The apartment complex I live in is on top of a hill AND in the woods. I tried to drive to school this morning and slid halfway down the hill and crashing into the curbs (small car no 4WD) before saying "NOPE!" and just parking in another driveway until we can get some salt on our roads, because the town is out. Before people say I just raced down the hill as normal, not quite. I was going MAYBE 5 miles and hour and avoiding the breaks unless absolutely necessary, and even then I barely pulsed them as we know that slamming on them is a bad idea.

The reason the South shuts down for this stuff is that we're unprepared for it, because as a general rule we don't NEED to be prepared for it. I handled the snow the last few years with ease, but suddenly getting 5 inches of the stuff (that's what my area got) means that we don't have the means to get rid of it fast enough.

On the positive side, because we live in such a hilly area we get some great sledding!
    “The rains have ceased, and we have been graced with another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Where i live, Charleston SC, there is no need to invest in snow removal because 1. We rarely get any snow and 2. It melts really fast, on Monday the high was 71 and its supposed to be back up there by Saturday
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    lol that second picture is just so random...

"snow caused this car to light on fire!"

The fact out of all of this is that nobody in the south can drive worth a fuck.
    It's funny because it's always 4 wheel drive SUVs that end up up-side-down in the ditch. Car companies always over-sell the actual usefulness of 4 wheel drive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    It's funny because it's always 4 wheel drive SUVs that end up up-side-down in the ditch. Car companies always over-sell the actual usefulness of 4 wheel drive.
    Its the illusion of safety.

"Oh I have 4WD, I can handle this!"

4WD helps, but it doesn't make you immune.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Its the illusion of safety.

"Oh I have 4WD, I can handle this!"

The thing is, 4WD actually creates circumstances by which you can easily end up in the ditch. The only thing it helps with is accelerating, and the only situation it becomes necessary in is with off-roading.

That circumstance being if you break traction on all 4 wheels, and then hit the brakes, your ABS sensor will detect that all 4 wheels are stopped, and assume that everything is fine, and you'll end up in a 4 wheel skid with absolutely no control over the vehicle.. And that's usually why it's 4WD cars in the ditch.

But also, on that photo page, somebody immediately begins with the whole winter tire thing... I roll my eyes at that too.

Yes, winter tires are better in the winter, but somebody driving like a dickwad with winter tires is a billion times more dangerous on the roads than a properly educated driver driving cautiously with bald summer tires.

Speaking as an Australian, I have no idea whether shutting a city down in 2 inches of snow is reasonable or not.

It's totally outside my experience.

Apparently the same is true for the US South, so I don't find it particularly surprising they're having hassles.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    and here's me thinking the south was already slowed down pretty good.
    Not when they get out onto the roads. Holy shit it's scary.

How about the people "stuck" put one foot in front of the other.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    4WD helps you get moving too fast to stop.

About the only thing 4WD is useful for is getting through snowdrifts.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by lakhesis View Post
    Speaking as an Australian, I have no idea whether shutting a city down in 2 inches of snow is reasonable or not.

It's totally outside my experience.

Apparently the same is true for the US South, so I don't find it particularly surprising they're having hassles.
    While one might argue the city might not be handled to equip snowfalls, (i.e. salt, sand and shovels) the fact is that unless you're dealing with hilly terrain, even sheer, glassy, mirrored ice, is traversable with common sense on your side.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Not when they get out onto the roads. Holy shit it's scary.
    They seem to creatively misread the speed limit signs up here.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    While one might argue the city might not be handled to equip snowfalls, (i.e. salt, sand and shovels) the fact is that unless you're dealing with hilly terrain, even sheer, glassy mirrored ice, is traversable with common sense on your side.
    And tourists here routinely go & sit on the beach in summer without sunscreen, tshirt & hat, and are surprised when they end up hospitalised with dehydration or 2nd degree burns.

Common sense in unfamiliar conditions is pretty uncommon

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    They seem to creatively misread the speed limit signs up here.
    Something about KPH really being MPH.

Change speedometer modes? Fuck that, it takes work.

Unless you're driving a standard...L or L2 are far safer options that even tapping the brakes on ice (Although if you're already going to fast - down shifting will do nothing but strip your tranny :/)