Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Different people like different things for different reasons. Rarity is what drives a lot of value outside of video games, too.

Personally, the mount I want most in WoW is one of the more common ... Nightcharger (aka the Headless Horseman's mount).

Although the rarest mount in the game (Heavenly Onyx Cloud Serpent) is #2 on my desired mounts list.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Supply. Demand. /thread?

I do tend to enjoy mounts that are rarer, but it's probably more out of nostalgia than worrying about other people "looking up" to me or getting "street cred." I usually use Amani Warbear (level 70 version) and Plagued Protodrake, which both remind me of better days . They also happen to be relatively rare.

Using a mount that everyone has like Bronze drake is akin to using "Jenkins" or "the Patient" title. I think titles at least should hold some sort of prestige. That's what "title" means after all. I see mounts in a similar way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, for some reason everyone thinks the classic vanilla unarmored mounts look amazing but only really like them because they are so rare. Also that golden pvp gear is pretty ugly but everyone wants it.

Of course. For example if the sparkle pony was a 0.1% drop from Algalon many people would have absolutely loved it, but because it's a cash shop mount it will forever be the butt of jokes.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manhands View Post
    Supply. Demand. /thread?
    I understand what you are trying to say but 'supply and demand' isn't really related to what we are talking about.

While rarity matters, I almost always go by what fits my mog set. My monk uses shado pan tigers for instance.

Yes. When I saw the sky golems model I was like OMG I cannot wait to get one, and then when the 30 days past and ppl started crafting them I walked outside to see 10s of sky golems flying around and instantly didn't want one anymore. To me rarity matters because when you just see everyone using one it just becomes less interesting, while when I see people on onyxia or invincible etc. I still really want those mounts.

Rarity meant nothing to me when I played WoW. My favorite Alliance mounts were the white-ish gryphon (though I did wish it had somewhat better textures) and the NElf cat mounts. For Horde, wolves all the way. DKs get a special mention for their bone gryphon you could buy. None rare. But they were my favorites. I also loved the tailor flying carpets. Wish non-tailors could use those.

Ashes of Alar will always be my favourite flying mount and for ground mounts its the Scarab Lord mount/Archeaology one will do also.

For me it was always about having something distinctive for each of my chars to ride. Whether it was something that took time to get, or just felt appropriate to them. My Warlock has always used a flying carpet, because she's a Tailor and only a tailor can ride that, plus it goes with the Voidheart set she sports for xmog. My Hunter used to ride the Flying machine cos of Engineering, but in MoP went to the Geosynchronous World Spinner for something different(and quieter). My Warrior rides a Sunreaver Dragonhawk cos it just fits with a Blood Elf, I feel, much like how I like the Argent Hippogryph for my Blood Elf Paladin. My Priest rides a Green Proto-Drake, cos I enjoy the theme of little green thing(Goblin)riding a big green thing. My Death Knight still rides the Bone Gryphon cos, well...Death Knight. Only thing I'd ever replace that with is a Frost Wurm. And so on and so forth.

And I have to lend support to the idea that people who want things because they're rare are compensating for a perceived lack in their own lives, to prop up their egos. At the end of the day, they're just server bits, people, and you're not gonna get to keep them forever. Once WoW shuts down they'll be gone for good. And nothing of any value will have been lost.

For me, personally, no. My favorite mount is the Cenarion War Hippogryph and it's usually the only one I use. Mimiron's Head, for example, used to make you kind of a badass for having it when it was relevant, but it's so ugly I would have never used it if I had it.
    Torque, Guardian of Cenarius

Reading this thread after having just watched another MMO's video about mount customization is an interesting experience. By adding the ability to customize mounts, all the mounts become more unique, or unique at the discretion of the user anyway, which removes that motivation for player choice. Not being a person for whom scarcity is paramount, I can only wonder what scarcity becoming the default would mean for some people.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroleonShadowflower View Post
    Not attacking you or anything, but is it wrong for people to get enjoyment out of other people appreciating their achievements? Clearly people do things for their own enjoyment; I would not have killed Heroic Rag, for example, if it was not an enjoyable activity, but if having people respect your "street-card" is how the world works, is it such a bad thing?
    No, this strange phenomenon is called empathy. It's a basic foundation of human social structure developed over millions of years by natural selection and necessary for any form of civilization. Amazing, isn't it?

IMO, Rarity > Model.

That's just the way it works. Bronze drake could easily be the most "awesome" drake of all times if it had like 0.001% drop rate.

And that's why I love my Swift Zulian Tiger. Not only is it unobtainable, it's sick as hell.

My favourite mount is the Pureblood Firehawk. It's love from first sight. During Cataclysm I wasn't a great fan of Mage's T12 ( fire mage is my main ) but as months and eventually years passed I found myself in love with T12 too just because it matches the firehawk's colourscheme and so on.

On the other hand there is Ashes of Al'ar... Supposedly rare but... I don't like it. It's an outdated model, with outdated textures with pink on it... I want fire. ALL CONSUMING FIRE YEAAAAAH. The Firehawk is also rare now but I like it for its looks. Even if it was 200% drop chance or sold for copper on some vendor, even if the skies were covered with pureblood firehawks I would've still used it everywhere, on every character, even on my druid despite having the convenient flight form. Before obtaining it, I was in absurd obsession with it. I just couldn't do anything in the game unless I had it... So I began doing Firelands on as many characters as possible. Leveled new ones just so I can run Firelands on them, once they hit 90. The Pureblood Firehawk is the game for me. Take it from me and my "spark" will die out as well.

TL;DR: Looks > Rarity

Theres alot of mounts that I like using that are common (Nelf Mounts,Undead Mounts) but then theres those rare mounts that give you that sorta epic feeling when you are like the one in maybe a handful of people on your server that have it.
    But yeah there are mounts that are rare that are just like "meh" to me, TLPD comes to mind. Alot of people want it but imo it doesnt look that good.
    But then again when your fav mount is also super rare and awesome looking then its just awesome.
    Or when you finally get a mount like Ashes of Alar to drop after farming it for years, it looks epic and is rare to.
    But, i think as long as WoW exists unless we get some crazy awesome mount next expac ill always be using my heavenly onyx :X

Proud user of the bronze dragonflight mount.

Depends on how superficial the person is.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroleonShadowflower View Post
    Not attacking you or anything, but is it wrong for people to get enjoyment out of other people appreciating their achievements? Clearly people do things for their own enjoyment; I would not have killed Heroic Rag, for example, if it was not an enjoyable activity, but if having people respect your "street-card" is how the world works, is it such a bad thing?
    It's not wrong to have people appreciate something they have done, IF it was in real life. A game? Not so much. Games are made for fun, enjoyment and as a hobby. Not to get your ego stroked virtually by people who probably could careless that you got a set of "rare" pixels. Just saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Have you seen my posts over the past few days? You should be asking yourself why I'm alive, not why I don't have friends.
    Change is inevitable, Growth is optional.