Smile 10m H fire mage HELP!

Hello fellow mages;

I have recently been playing fire in my 10m guild (after coming off of a long break), due to starting as arcane and having to move too much because of responsibilities (i have always historically been a top 1% epeen bot arcane mage, fire not so much) and have encountered some problems. I have been all over the forums and am trying to pinpoint what im doing wrong. My gear is pretty decent (572- some of those are more arcane mastery pieces), but am not anywhere near where i want to be. Here's an example- the #17 fire mage (#2 US) on heroic sha is
    430k.

My logs for this Tuesday's kill are 280k. Now this is a pretty poor performance on my part, but why is there such a large difference? I have contemplated it being that i do not have a multistrike or black blood trinket for the increase in int on the start, but it shows me bursting for 800k vrs the person i linked at 1.3m; also, his pyroblasts hit for 40k more on average..

Thanks for all the help in advance. Being that my guild is working on the last 4 heroic, it would be imperative that i am not arcane, but at the moment im not sure if i have a choice if my terrible performance continues. Thanks for all the help in advance. It will not allow me to post links..

Yes logs please first of all, but i must say its important that you dont judge your performance off of sha.

There are too many variables at play: lust at start or end, gift of the titans uptime, getting imprisoned or banished, how hard you neglect soaking rifts, dps comp (how quickly reflections die), and its even possible to do 100% more damage at the end if you cheese it and get mutated.

If possible, you should try to provide logs of iron juggernaut, or even normal siegecrafter (assuming you dont do belts)

- - - Updated - - -

Provide armory as well please.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...dmerlin/simple - my armory
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/n...?s=6583&e=6894 - my iron jug
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=7968&e=8213 - parsed mage iron jug

The main thing i am looking at here is the severe difference in burst at the beginning of fights.

postcountlol

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/x...?s=1062&e=1236 - siegecrafter normal kill from a few weeks back
    Last edited by Edmerlin; 2014-01-30 at 12:04 AM.

A few things for pop up pretty quickly when i look at these logs

1. You went overboard on invocation uptime. You gained invocation 7 times, so including the precast you actually had 8 minutes worth of invocation over a 5:11 fight. 100% uptime on invocation actually isnt even optimal. The cast of evocation does not do damage, so you dont need to cast evo while invocation is active. You just need to make sure you dont cast any damaging spells while the buff is inactive. PS:you waited in back during the siege mode so you went REALLY REALLY overboard here.

2. Low bomb uptime. 76% uptime, you need to shoot for 95%+. There are times where losing some uptime is ok, Ill get to that next.

3. Low Potent flames uptime (2p bonus). This should be your top priority outside of invocation uptime. If you lose a tick of LB to keep 5 stacks, do it. You should be casting fireball as much as possible to generate your hot streaks, only use inferno blast to start up your combo'ing if you have no procs, or as a "crutch" to keep up your 5 stacks of 2p (ie you wont keep 2p stacks unless you use IB to grab a hot streak proc).

4. Your gear is really suboptimal for fire. Fire is very gear dependent, not only do you have an insufficient amount of crit (you should be aiming for 17-18k before you can start playing fire), but also youre lacking a lot of haste. Both of these factors reduce your hot streak generation and make 2p uptime basically impossible. You should also not be expecting to do good damage in any mage spec without double intellect procs (whatever else you may have with an int proc, its probably worth using over that garbage timeless trinket). And all of this aside, youre 6 ilvls below Fhrixus.

5. Your combustion damage is really low, especially for you having as much mastery as you do. If you crit for all 4 of the required pyros to set up a combustion, you should have a hefty combustion. Then again, having no second int proc is not helping you here. How do you set up your combustions?

TL;DR im pretty sure you could have done a bit more research on this, but you really cant play fire with gear like that. In terms of the gameplay.. you should do some reading or watch some streams. Theres a list of streams you can watch that's stickied in the mage forum. Speaking of which, theres also a sticky for "help my dps" that you could have posted in.

what pretzul said

but its mostly about the gear.

not the ilvl but the quality of gear

u need the big crit/ haste gear to make fire shine

ive tried fire at every 5ilvl increase on my mage. have respecced to frost everytime for better dps

fire is viable but ull do more as frost.

Quote Originally Posted by ishootfire View Post
    fire is viable but ull do more as frost.
    Only partially true. Frost is better in normal mode gear, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretzul View Post
    Only partially true. Frost is better in normal mode gear, yes.
    He meant without heavy crit gear, which i agree with - frost works well on every fight if you dislike arcane and its immobility and don't have enough crit and haste gear (like me)
    edit: didnt think i could get above 15k crit, changed to fire asap

btw guys, i can get 16.5k crit with 13.3k haste, should i drop some haste for more crit or is it fine?
    Last edited by Woop Woop; 2014-02-04 at 07:15 PM.