Deleted

Question graphics card upgrade

Hello, I used to follow every computer related hardware upgrades a few years back, but recently I lost track of it, since it's all changing so quickly.

The thing is... I currently own a six year old Radeon HD 4870 and I really need to upgrade it.

What do I need: to play games like WoW, D3, SC2, Path of Exile, etc on ultra settings with no loss of fps's. I do not play high-end games like CoD or Crysis or any other AAA game out there.

Useful (?) info:
    - Motherboard: Asus P5Q-E
    - Power: 550w

And, of course, cheapest possible.

Thank you for any help.

cheers!

ps: if you need any other info that I might be missing here, just ask.

10+ Year Old Account
    Should list your CPU, Monitor Resolution, and budget, not knowing those 3 makes a recommendation difficult.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Deleted
    Oh, right.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16Ghz
    Resolution: 1920x1080 / 24'' HDMI
    Budget: around 125€
    Last edited by mmocc182f786f2; 2014-01-30 at 02:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Moving this to the build/upgrade subforum!
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    shameless bump.

Not really going to work with that low of a budget and basically having to replace pretty much everything.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

10+ Year Old Account
    The budget is just too low. I'm not EU so I am not sure what the end price over there would be compared to over here but assuming $125€ ~= $170, then the best you can get over here is a AMD 7790 1gb or 7870 ghz if you can find one, which is difficult with the price spike from Bitcoining bastardos.

The CPU though would be a hugely limiting factor. If you want to be able to play those games at ultra settings at 1080p with a smooth framerate it too needs to be replaced.

I'd suggest saving up until you get whatever the EU equivalent of $700 US is. $300 Gpu, $200 Cpu, $100 Ram, $75 Mobo, is about what you need to spend to get ultra performance at 1080p now and going forward. Even WoW is going to get a lot more demanding as the new character models drastically increases the amount of work to draw those 50 players in the AH.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Agreed, you need a CPU update as well as GPU. This is about the minimum you'd be able to get away with as an upgrade on the cheap, that isn't used parts. I'd recommend a larger budget to at least support an i3, howevr the G1830 still whomps your E8500. Another option is to get the card now, overclock your E8500 (It was one of the best C2D's to do so) and upgrade the rest later.

PCPartPicker part list
    CPU: Intel Celeron G1830 2.8GHz Dual-Core Processor (€61.21 @ Amazon Espana)
    Motherboard: Asus H81M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (€57.05 @ Amazon Espana)
    Memory: A-Data Premier Series 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory (€36.64 @ Amazon Espana)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB Video Card (€89.05 @ Amazon Espana)
    Total: €243.95
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Well, thank you anyway. Guess I'll wait a little more and do a general pc-upgrade.

cheers

10+ Year Old Account

Might be CPU

Edit: I just noticed your GPU is stuck at Dx10, so I have removed the suggestions that probably won't work!
    Last edited by Taiknee; 2014-01-31 at 07:26 PM.
    Professional's Guide to: Upgrading Your Computer
    Quote Originally Posted by OperationFerret View Post
    Legion PvP is so bad that Holinka is handing out titles for watching the arena championships.