Poll: Have you played a MOBA seriously?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Will you seriously have played a MOBA before you play Heroes?

I've noticed a lot of people lately who want to play Heroes of the Storm, but have never touched LoL or DoTA 2. Roughly 40% of my guild insists they want to play Heroes really badly, yet has never touched a MOBA. How can people know they want to play a game, without touching the genre?

Also, those who have played a MOBA, do you think you'll have a significant advantage over those who haven't? Last hitting doesn't exist, so that's one for beginners, but what about the rest of the gameplay?

- - - Updated - - -

To clarify, by seriously I mean that you invested more than a 30 hours into the game.

Well when we played at blizzcon (a group of guildies and myself having all been frequent Dota 1 & 2 players) we stomped the team we were up against.

It was very clear they were new and we even found ourselves standing up to give tips to the other team. After one 20 min game they were much better than they had started but things I saw being an issue for them early on i expect to be a thing for a lot of new players. Mostly not grasping the weight of a death, because they didnt lose anything other than down time they took a more BG approach of dive on in there if you go down no biggie you just come back not grasping the XP advantage it was handing to our team also they had a tendency to tower dive early and take bait all things that I assume anyone who plays more than a few games upon release will pick up on, Not nearly the learning curve of Dota but there are still plenty of things left to distinguish experienced from new players.

Played LoL for two years, but quit it a year ago. So yeah.

Deleted
    ive played LoL and DoTA2 a bit. got 30hours on DoTA 2 and probably 100 or so on LoL.

i do like the genre, i just don't always have time for 40+minute games

Deleted
    played dota since it was released in wc3. also many others like tides of blood an such.

gonna play this because i hope supporters get some more love from the devs.

I've been playing LoL since the beginning of season 3. Not positive how many hours. But I'm still totally stoked for Heroes. I really enjoyed playing it at Blizzcon.

I guess in addition to the poll, do you guys think the HoTS will really change the genre? Or just be a gimmick?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonsaii View Post
    How can people know they want to play a game, without touching the genre?
    You don't need to touch a certain genre to want to play it.

Either way, yes. People that have played/are playing mobas will have an advantage when starting Heroes.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have played other mobas, but none seriously. But I'm got some play time and I'm familiar with the general concepts and playstyle.

I've noticed a lot of people lately who want to play Heroes of the Storm, but have never touched LoL or DoTA 2. Roughly 40% of my guild insists they want to play Heroes really badly, yet has never touched a MOBA. How can people know they want to play a game, without touching the genre?
    Lots of ways. I mean, we're talking about people discussing what looks fun, what they want to try. We make those conclusions all the time about all kinds of things, even if we've never done similar activities. There are plenty of games that come out in genres I haven't played a lot of that I can still identify as something I want to try out. I'm sure every other gamer in the universe has done the same. Interest can be sparked all kinds of ways besides prior experience.

The concept of a team brawler is not incomprehensible to people who haven't played mobas before; it's probably pretty easy to ascertain what gameplay will be like on a general level at least enough to know if it's something you're excited to try.

Besides that, they could be basing it on their experience playing it at Blizzcon (if that was the case) or from feedback from those that have, or from other moba players who enjoy the genre.

Also, those who have played a MOBA, do you think you'll have a significant advantage over those who haven't? Last hitting doesn't exist, so that's one for beginners, but what about the rest of the gameplay?
    I think experienced moba players will have a pretty decent advantage initially. Despite differences with things like last hits and items and coins, players who have experience making strategy judgments from other games will probably do it much better in Heroes. Stuff like knowing when to push a lane, where your team needs support, when to retreat, etc, are all things one becomes much better at assessing based on experience, and that kind of skill transcends minor game differences.

People who really enjoy Heroes and put in the time will probably catch up quick, though. I think it will only really be a factor early in the game's life.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

I guess in addition to the poll, do you guys think the HoTS will really change the genre? Or just be a gimmick?
    I don't know if all the others will want to follow suit, nor should they. Each game will keep a large portion of their current audience no matter what.

That said, I think the idea of different maps with a lot of different important objectives is a good direction to go. I feel like Haunted Mines is probably the best example of being able to have a huge choice for the meta in how you approach getting skulls for your grave golum; you can see this just from the couple of developer games that have come out.

Obviously each game will keep things interesting by introducing new champions. Dota and LoL will be able to spice things up (assuming they don't follow suit with a bunch of new maps) with new items. Heroes could attempt to mimic this with different talents.

But I think that continually adding new maps that play differently will be a good thing for the genre.

Deleted
    How can people know they want to play a game, without touching the genre?
    Never played a moba but we're talking a Blizzard game here, with all their most famous characters and more, can't pass that.

Deleted
    I played Dota for 3 years, then HoN from the closed beta untill I got a Dota 2 key. Now I am playing LoL waiting for Heroes beta to start.

Moba is my fav genre right now.

I've played LoL off and on for a few years. Though my account is ancient, I'm only level 16.

I've really taken a liking to LoL over the last couple of weeks and spent my first $20 on it. I found the learning curve to be even more brutal than EVE Online, as at least EVE Online have corporations/alliances dedicated to showing newbies the ropes. I could not find any such community in LoL.

The game gives you a couple nice tutorial sessions and then throws you to the wolves to get yelled at by teammates for sucking. The recommendation is typically to play against bots, which I find pretty demeaning considering that such matches award less XP and IP.

However, the community is no where near as toxic as it was a couple of years ago due to Riot's honor initiative.

In my humble opinion Blizzard has the opportunity to do quite a bit more hand-holding than Riot to newer players as they become semi-competent team players.

Quote Originally Posted by LonestarHero View Post
    I've played LoL off and on for a few years. Though my account is ancient, I'm only level 16.

I've really taken a liking to LoL over the last couple of weeks and spent my first $20 on it. I found the learning curve to be even more brutal than EVE Online, as at least EVE Online have corporations/alliances dedicated to showing newbies the ropes. I could not find any such community in LoL.

The game gives you a couple nice tutorial sessions and then throws you to the wolves to get yelled at by teammates for sucking. The recommendation is typically to play against bots, which I find pretty demeaning considering that such matches award less XP and IP.

However, the community is no where near as toxic as it was a couple of years ago due to Riot's honor initiative.

In my humble opinion Blizzard has the opportunity to do quite a bit more hand-holding than Riot to newer players as they become semi-competent team players.
    Every MOBA tutorial I have gone through has been, almost, complete garbage.

Basically: I'm willing to give Blizz the benefit of the doubt. No, I have not played MOBA seriously, or even at all. Why? Because I think concepts like 'levelling' and 'gear buying' are simply incredibly [swearwords] BAD in the format. It ensures growing team disparities (meaning: The better team will get better (stats-wise) much faster than the worse team, which is a balance nightmare and simply shouldn't happen).
    It is quite frankly the most terrible game design I know.

So I'm willing to give Blizzard the benefit of the doubt, but I'm fully expecting to be disappointed by Heroes of the Storm.

Deleted
    Yeah, I've played a MOBA seriously. I've got around 1000 normal games in league and I've been playing for just over a year now, and around 100 hours in Dota 2. Don't know how many games that is.

Do I think it will give me an advantage? Possibly not, since I'm terrible and fairly slow to learn new things. I think perhaps it could give some people an advantage early on but I'd expect new people to the genre who have good reaction times and pick games up fast, to catch up pretty quickly. Slowbies like me might take a little while longer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Every MOBA tutorial I have gone through has been, almost, complete garbage.
    I thought the dota2 ones were quite good.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

It'll certainly be different, but I'm not so sure many other games will follow its more atypical approach to the genre.

Invested a ton of time in LoL. I will give HotS a try but I don't anticipate being swayed by it. Who knows, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

15+ Year Old Account
    Used to be above 2k ELO and 2k MMR(LoL and HoN). Only play LoL very casually now days though(mostly all-mid). But I am really looking forward to Heroes, it will hopefully be a fresh breath in the MOBA genre