Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    Are you capable of answering questions?

Did I ask:

Are you under the impression that there are zero guys in a cave in Afghanistan with the will, know-how, and desire, to conduct a terrorist attack on our homeland?

Or did I ask:

Are you under the impression that there are zero foreign terrorist organizations with the will, know-how, and desire, to conduct a terrorist attack on our homeland?

Well?
    one has to ask himself, are the means used to try and find these terrorists better than changing the situation for the area where these terrorists come from?

not only from a moral standpoint, but from a fiscal standpoint
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Yeah, because the NSA's massive overreach makes everyone safe.

"65% of Americans value the right to bear arms over having safe children." See, I can churn out more fallacies.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    That's true of Facebook, specifically, but it's true because of the TOS itself. Other websites might not be so specific, and people often don't read these things.

It isn't just the Internet; those "rewards" cards are another big example; the agreement is that you're letting the company track your purchasing habits, to sell that data to other companies, and in exchange you earn the rewards. If you RECOGNIZE that, fine, but a lot of people don't, they just think "woo, free stuff" and don't realize the company's tracking their purchases. So, when that gets revealed, they get bent out of shape about "invasion of privacy", when the real issue is that they've given their data away.

It's like having a shower on your front lawn using the garden hose, and yelling at people who can see you for invading your privacy.

That's where I'm going with this.

My Facebook is a professional portal. I tune it so that prospective employers and colleagues will see it. It's very much a groomed and tailored thing, and there's plenty of stuff I wouldn't "Like" on Facebook because I don't want that reflected in that professional profile.

And that's how it should be for everybody. We've entered a world where, in 10 years, people will be getting denied a job they applied for because, today when they were 16, they posted an image to Facebook of them with a beer at a party. And this is not in any way a breach of privacy. This is people making really bad decisions and publicizing their lives.
    i agree with you, but about the 10 years from now, facebook is required to delete everything permanent as soon as you delete it, now i know that won´t save you from embarrassment but they have to do it to the point that facebook itself is unable to restore it

plus they are required to send you everything they know about you if you wish to see it (there was an austrian student that did this and he recieved an amount of information he wasn´t aware facebook gathered)

yes people are willing to give up information and probably many don´t know how much information they´re giving up freely, that doesn´t change the fact that there are laws the companies have to obey that regulate the amount of information gathering or at least what they are allowed to do with said information
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    one has to ask himself, are the means used to try and find these terrorists better than changing the situation for the area where these terrorists come from?

not only from a moral standpoint, but from a fiscal standpoint
    As I've already expressed, we need to do both. We've already opened the can of worms.
    Eat yo vegetables

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You certainly forfeit any privacy when it comes to anything you sent to Facebook. At that point, it's down to whatever Facebook's TOS allows them to use your information for (which is fairly extensive and deliberately vague).
    I don't really care about what Facebook shares, because I don't post anything that I wouldn't feel comfortable with a stranger seeing. I do care about my privacy elsewhere, where I have been led to expect said privacy.

Fear drives humans to do some pretty irrational things.

Why are there so many in this thread who can't discern between a government secretly spying on them, and volunteering non-intrusive information on a social medium? "If you tell someone anything about yourself you must tell everyone anything they inquire" sounds like the logic of a 4yo. Or did I just miss something?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphtheone View Post
    Why are there so many in this thread who can't discern between a government secretly spying on them, and volunteering non-intrusive information on a social medium? "If you tell someone anything about yourself you must tell everyone anything they inquire" sounds like the logic of a 4yo. Or did I just miss something?
    i also do wonder the capabilities of facebook connecting every information you provide to other companies, but yeah that´s the same

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High Shark View Post
    shocking stat when said "security" ends up meaning fuck all. if the NSA actually did stop a terror attack I'd be singing a different tune.
    I think your missing the point here.

Things like NSA are there to prevent any attack so the lack of attacks makes people believe there is no threat. when a threat does happen that's when people will moan that NSA is useless. God knows how many they have already prevented.

So I can fully understand why people value privacy over security

i would rather be alive than have privacy - now if they can invade my thoughts then i have problems...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by T Man View Post
    I think your missing the point here.

Things like NSA are there to prevent any attack so the lack of attacks makes people believe there is no threat. when a threat does happen that's when people will moan that NSA is useless. God knows how many they have already prevented.

So I can fully understand why people value privacy over security
    you basically said cause they're dumb - i can read between the lines!

Yeah. It's too bad the government views both privacy and security as one in the same.

"Want to feel secure? We're gonna have to watch what you do."