Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Anet strikes again!

A recent breakthrough in mining technology has let us make a new infinite mining pick. This self-repairing pick has a chance to add a Watchwork Sprocket to the rewards when used to mine ore veins!
    While the sprockets themselves really aren't all that big of a deal, this is yet another slap in the face to the playerbase. Anyone who has bought previous mining picks from the gemstore are getting screwed over because this new pick has a chance of giving you additional mats every time you use it, whereas the older ones don't. The blatant money grabbing is getting pretty ridiculous. It's like,"Oh hey! I appreciate that you've spent money on something already, but here's something even better than that, so spend even more money now and make us rich!"

Seriously, when are people going to wake up and realize Anet doesn't give two shits about them, except for their money and willingness to buy gems? It's pathetic really. The only other devs that are more greedy than Anet at this point are the ones over at SWTOR with how their F2P restrictions are and how their CC market works.

What's next? Releasing another mining pick in 6 months that gives a chance of receiving an ectoplasm every time you mine a node? Seriously, when will the stupidity and money grabbing stop? They need to focus on their fail development and upkeep of this game instead of how to make a quick buck off of an already irritated playerbase.

Inb4 the white knight crusaders come crashing in to defend Anet on this decision and telling me how I'm overreacting to an obvious attempt at milking a playerbase for all its worth.

Edit:
    https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...Watchwork-Pick

Some of the game's biggest fanboys on the official forums are even up in arms about this.
    Last edited by Zephyr Storm; 2014-01-31 at 10:10 AM.

Depends on the individual person and how they value watchwork sprockets. There is 1000's on the tradepost going for copper, it is so cheap and there are other ways to get them the value of this 20% chance to mine them is useless. As I don't really mine anything other then orichalcum the infinite part and the sprocket part are both equally worthless to me. It also doesn't have sparkle animation :l
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Depends on the individual person and how they value watchwork sprockets. There is 1000's on the tradepost going for copper, it is so cheap and there are other ways to get them the value of this 20% chance to mine them is useless. As I don't really mine anything other then orichalcum the infinite part and the sprocket part are both equally worthless to me. It also doesn't have sparkle animation :l
    I do agree with you. However, the fact that a newer mining pick now has a chance to give free, extra loot every time you use it, and the older ones don't, is in and of itself a slap in the face to people who spent gems on the older ones already. Also, who's to say that later on down the road, Anet won't introduce another mining pick that gives an even better item than sprockets on use? This is honestly the start of a downward spiral that is not good. They've already gotten pretty bad at trying to cash-grab with their gemstore, this is only going to make things worse.

And before someone says, "If you don't like it, then don't buy/support it." That's great and all, but doesn't do much good with all the fools who are so easily parted with their money and support bad ideas like this and only reinforce Anet's decisions on it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Not to rain on your parade, but it's not some secret that companies are out to make money. [/FONT]
    No. Really? I never would have thought that.

But, seriously. There's a difference between making money, and a flat-out blatant attempt at money grabbing. I mean, they could at least put in a little bit of effort on their gemstore and give us something different/unique more often. Hell, they don't even try with the armor anymore. The last sets they put on there were reskinned ones with flames. Not to mention of the sets was the same as human's T3 cultural light armor that pissed off A LOT of people. Anet ended taking the armor down, but not before showing their true colors (aka laziness and greed) and how they have absolutely zero shame in their flagrant attempts at trying to squeeze more money out of you. The laziness and slaps to the face with their gemstore additions are pathetic.
    Last edited by Zephyr Storm; 2014-01-30 at 06:22 PM.

it's a slippery slope precedent that's for sure

the actual item you can get means nothing but I suppose the worry is for future items. For this isolated case though, it doesn't bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    it's a slippery slope precedent that's for sure

the actual item you can get means nothing but I suppose the worry is for future items. For this isolated case though, it doesn't bother me.
    That's one of the main things I'm talking about. Not only is it already a slap in the face to people who have already bought previous mining picks, it's also sets the stage for Anet doing something like this again. It's greedy, pure and simple. "You've already supported us with money? Thanks! Now let's screw you over for that and try to make you spend more!"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Not really your job to "protect" those people, it's not like they're being stolen from or something.

Ok? So just....don't buy it?

You just seem irrationally angry toward ANet for some reason.
    If you see nothing wrong with what they are attempting to do, then I don't really know what to say to you other than bend over and pray they use lube on you.

This thread makes me think of the "Oh noes, they put a button for the store IN GAME" threads in the wow subforums

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

10+ Year Old Account
    What does it matter? You can convert your golds to gems right so you can still access that shit? I don't see a problem other than some random person who believes he deserves anything.

Don't get me wrong, I'm against cash shops in P2P/Sub games (I despise the way Blizzard is handling things) but at least you still have access to all the services if you would desire to have it. I honestly don't see a problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    I bought the Molten pick for my elementalist bcuz FIRE!! and bought the Watchwork pick for my engineer bcuz GREEN SPARKLY FIRE!!!

(I used gold to buy them, does that mean I milked ANet?)

Here, have a video \o/
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    I bought the Molten pick for my elementalist bcuz FIRE!! and bought the Watchwork pick for my engineer bcuz GREEN SPARKLY FIRE!!!

Here, have a video \o/
    Did you buy the tequatl one for a necro?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

I wasn't impressed by this one's animation to be honest. my favorite pick is still the molten pick. the lightning lumberjack axe is cool too. my overall favorite is the jack-in-the-box scythe though

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    Did you buy the tequatl one for a necro?
    No. I haz no necro.
    (actually I do have one but she is a level 1 nameholder atm, maybe some day I will level her)
    Valar morghulis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    While the sprockets themselves really aren't all that big of a deal, this is yet another slap in the face to the playerbase. Anyone who has bought previous mining picks from the gemstore are getting screwed over because this new pick has a chance of giving you additional mats every time you use it, whereas the older ones don't. The blatant money grabbing is getting pretty ridiculous. It's like,"Oh hey! I appreciate that you've spent money on something already, but here's something even better than that, so spend even more money now and make us rich!"

Seriously, when are people going to wake up and realize Anet doesn't give two shits about them, except for their money and willingness to buy gems? It's pathetic really. The only other devs that are more greedy than Anet at this point are the ones over at SWTOR with how their F2P restrictions are and how their CC market works.

What's next? Releasing another mining pick in 6 months that gives a chance of receiving an ectoplasm every time you mine a node? Seriously, when will the stupidity and money grabbing stop? They need to focus on their fail development and upkeep of this game instead of how to make a quick buck off of an already irritated playerbase.

Inb4 the white knight crusaders come crashing in to defend Anet on this decision and telling me how I'm overreacting to an obvious attempt at milking a playerbase for all its worth.
    When someone bought pickaxe before he decided it was worth to pay for what he was getting.

If you don't care about this change, then kudos to you. However there are people that do care about this and are irritated by it, and rightly so. Such a blatant money grab is disgraceful and lazy. Just like the re skinned flame armor. Yes I understand Anet has to make money somehow (herpa fucking derp), but they go about it in the laziest and greediest ways. Instead of giving us something good, or at the very least something that isnt almost a direct copy and paste, they go this route. And to top it off, they even slap the face of people who have already supported them before.

The fact that so many people are ok or indifferent about this only lends to companies doing this more and more until it becomes the norm. Most of you are only enabling this by supporting it or at least by standing by and saying nothing.

I mean if Anet can get fools to part with their money so easily, then more power to them I guess. But then shame on you for being so gullible/stupid.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post

Here, have a video \o/
    Once again , you contribute nothing. No surprise there though. And of course there is the random video you so love to attach to your posts for no good reason other than to show how much of a fanatic you are of this game. Padding your post count FTW.
    Last edited by Zephyr Storm; 2014-01-30 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    And you know what SWTOR is making? Money. You see Arenanet's revenue lately? It isn't looking so good. The thing is the need to incentive/force players to pay for things. Subscriptions do that by making you pay to play. F2P/B2P games do that by making you buy things. Ideally what they should do is release expansions for money. But the next best thing is to make players pay for things like you mentioned. As time goes on, if they want to make revenue they will need to do more of it, not less. It is amazing how people expect everything to be free.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    This thread makes me think of the "Oh noes, they put a button for the store IN GAME" threads in the wow subforums
    Yeah 3 cash shop buttons in a subscription based game is pretty bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah 3 cash shop buttons in a subscription based game is pretty bad.
    Ironic coming from you.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Ironic coming from you.
    Why, I don't get it?

Deleted
    The way they could of done it, would of been to add some npc in lags arch, where those that had already paid for a pick from the gem store, could then hand it in to upgrade to the new one. Whether for a small gem price or whatever.

Of course, the best & only way they should of done it, would`ve been to not start selling things on the gem store that drop items, that normal in game bought picks do not.

They managed to survive with Guild Wars without pulling this stunt for over eight years to date.
    If they`re desperate for money, they should start adding decent things to the gem store, like getting rid of the virtually pointless town clothes, & start doing more armour you can use in combat. Add more storage spaces etc

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Geez, I am not even playing GW2 - but even to me, two things are blazingly obvious:
    Anet is a company. Companies exist to make money
    GW2 is F2P, the money have to come from somewhere.

Save your white knight comments. It is a free game. Don't buy it or don't play it. If you wanna know what companies really fuck you? The ones that dictate the prices on essential goods: Water, electricity, oil and gas.
    It`s not a free to play game, it is buy to play.

btw, there's rare drops of special picks, axes and harvesting tools that have a higher chance of reaping bonus materials from nodes. This includes rarer gems from mining, those bags you get from wood, and rarer ingredients from harvesting. (I would recommend using these to harvest in Southsun as those drop some good money items.)

So gathering tools with chances at other rewards exist in the game already. This is just a permanent one which has a specified chance of gathering sprockets. You could go organize a Scarlet invasion group to gather far more sprockets than this tool will get you, but that would require social skills and effort. It's much easier to whine on a forum.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbait View Post
    Of course, the best & only way they should of done it, would`ve been to not start selling things on the gem store that drop items, that normal in game bought picks do not.
    Sprockets drop in game from other places though. That's why there is over 650k of them on the trading post and they are only worth a couple copper each.

Seriously tell me how much ore would I have to mine to "win". And what exactly I would win.
    Valar morghulis

You know why I bought the old one? Because I CBA to buy those all the time and spend the silver.
    They were 1 character bound back then, then what did Anet do? THEY STROKE! Made it account wide. I was happy.
    This new one? I dont care, Im happy with my current one.