Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    So an items that give you an extra what... 30 copper only on an RNG is way too imbalanced? oh lordy lord it's like sprockets were scarce~
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

Honestly guys. If you see something that should be infracted but hasn't been, report it. If you see a mod responding in a thread but not hitting a post you think should have been hit either PM them to ask about it or PM a super mod to look at it. Making posts in threads about your opinions of the quality of moderation does nothing at all to help since we don't have the ability to read every single post ever posted.

If you don't like either of those options use the "Contact Us" form to send a complaint directly to the admins. If you don't like my response PM me or use the "Contact Us" form. Thanks for your time, back to the actual topic of the thread please.

GW2 pushes the boundaries of what I consider acceptable to sell to the point where I've reconsidered how I feel about the subscription model. I don't post about it much because it's a losing argument (as you can tell by this thread and the P2W thread). People will either justify it as a "convenience" item, attempt to diminish its importance in the game somehow, or bring up the fact that you can buy it for gold (as if gold is easy to make in GW2 and the exchange rate is outrageous).

Granted, I went into GW2 naive as I have never played a B2P or F2P MMO prior (both Rift and Tera went F2P after I'd quit). I assumed most revenue would come from vanity items, but I don't believe that's been the case considering most people do not like town clothes and their offerings of costume armor are few and mostly terrible. While GW2 may not itemize as much as I've heard SW:TOR does, they still charge for quite a lot, in some cases multiple times especially in regards to inventory space of any kind. I think the way they handle minis is also horrible (so glad I didn't attempt to be a collector) and I don't understand why more people aren't appalled at having to buy 2x of any given set due to the inevitable addition of a forged mini. Another case where people have more dollars than sense, I suppose. Hell, I'm still upset they made a cooking recipe that was only obtainable out of their store-only RNG boxes. I don't care if the recipe wasn't anything amazing, that personally crossed a line for me.

I've often questioned if I did spend $15/mo. on gems if it would outfit my account to my satisfaction and I'm honestly not sure. Even going beyond things like character slots and the aforementioned inventory space of any kind, the bulk (all?) of any vanity or "convenience" purchases are alt-unfriendly. (I shouldn't even have to mention their awful cosmetic systems from dyes to transmutations.) I mean, it's not like one infinite mining pick, for example, is delivered to all of your characters (which at the very least was my experience with WoW & Rift purchases), you still have to pass it back and forth through your personal bank, which is a real pain, or buy 8 of them (which you used to have to do anyway when they were soulbound).

This is not stuff I like thinking about and I never did before GW2. I didn't go around thinking I don't have adequate basic account amenities or I can't do this, that, or the other because it's a store-only thing. I didn't constantly stress about how much gold (or rather lack thereof) I have and how that negatively affects my gaming experience on multiple levels. Frankly, if $15/mo. absolves me of that it's looking like a really good deal.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Honestly I think the sprocket thing is more of a timing theme then "pushing" the boundaries.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

probably correct zito. and it's probably something to separate itself from the other mining picks

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    This thread makes me think of the "Oh noes, they put a button for the store IN GAME" threads in the wow subforums
    Haha, that was my first thought too, replace Anet with Blizz and Mining pick with "Boosted 90's" and you got yourself a thread right there ;p
    so Warlords of Draenor is /'woɹː.loɹːdz ʌv 'ɖɹæːn.oɹː/.
    I've always loved how in an attempt to make pronunciation through text easier to understand people have created a seemingly alien cypher for which few people without a degree related to language would ever been able to understand.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Well, to me it's always been a matter of...convenience? I dunno. Probably just psychological.

If I pay $15/mo in an MMO, generally I just get access to almost everything. I don't have to worry about my bag space or bank space or a tiny number of character slots, or an invented inconvenience for the sake of selling me a convenience later.

I'll end up paying more for the subscription game in almost all cases, but I just won't have that sense of being nagged constantly. Just a personal thing I guess.[/FONT]
    It would cost you $450 in GW2 to match the amount of character slots available in an mmo like wow. That is a wholelot of $15 subs.

Quote Originally Posted by Fernling306 View Post
    It would cost you $450 in GW2 to match the amount of character slots available in an mmo like wow. That is a wholelot of $15 subs.
    I estimate I've spent about $1200 on WoW
    Last edited by Valeron; 2014-01-31 at 08:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    They should cash out as much as they can before the 4'th of April imo.

And yes: p2w = shit.

News Flash: The sky isn't falling chicken little. So what they added a new pick that gives "extra" goodies? I bought both previous picks. know why? Because I play several characters on GW2 and intend to get them to max level. Having those "unlimited use" items makes it super easy to farm stuff. As long as the pick still has its unlimited use, I could careless WHAT it gives as an extra bonus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Have you seen my posts over the past few days? You should be asking yourself why I'm alive, not why I don't have friends.
    Change is inevitable, Growth is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I think they got a couple grand on me

Is WoW really a fair comparison? I played it for 6 years so my tally is roughly the same, but no other MMO has managed to keep me enthralled for more than a year.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernling306 View Post
    But you can get those character slots with game gold, which by the time you've leveled the 5 character slots that come with the game, you easily have enough to buy more slots.

And I bet WoW players would give their eye teeth to be able to buy basics like server transfers, name changes, and character recustomization/gender changes with game gold.

(in the 1.5 years I've been playing GW2 I have spent 1/2 what a WoW sub would cost - I've never traded gems for gold and have a legendary)
    Last edited by Karizee; 2014-01-31 at 08:38 PM.
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    Then you missed the point 0/10, game set and match gg wp no re.
    Ummm, no I didn't? He was talking about converting in-game gold to gems in order to buy the new pick ax. Which I refuse to do because the gold to gem conversion is crap. Learn to read son, or don't bother responding.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    So an items that give you an extra what... 30 copper only on an RNG is way too imbalanced? oh lordy lord it's like sprockets were scarce~
    You are completely missing the point. It's not about the sprocket itself. It's about what Anet could be starting with this new precedent. What's to say they won't introduce another gathering tool in the future that gives a chance at an item that is actually valuable and gives someone an advantage over others on the TP? It's starts everything down a slippery slope, and I wouldn't put it past Anet to continue down it given their track record recently.

Seriously, get some reading comprehension and common sense or next time, don't bother responding. We all know you're in love with this game, but don't let that blind you to something right in front of your face.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RAWRF View Post
    This is a childish thing to get upset about. Maybe you would rather they charge for content updates and make it all into DLC content. I bet that would be better right? Then no more crying about new cash shop items, instead people will cry about DLC.

Anyone getting butthurt over watchwork sprockets is retarded. Look at the prices on the AH, they are nearly worthless.
    YET ANOTHER person missing the point. My god, I didn't think this many people could be so freaking dense. At least there are a few people in this thread that understand what is going on. The rest of you are just like "herpa derp worthless sprocket herpa derp".

And honestly? I WISH they would start coming out with paid expansions like they did in GW1. I LOVED that model and they gave us a ton of fun and meaningful content. I actually felt like I got my money's worth on those. Instead, they've chosen to go with the "milk customers for all they're worth with a gemstore and then only give them temporary, shitty, and shallow content as compensation".

I suggest some of you read the official forum thread that I linked. It actually has people in it that have a fucking clue what is going on (unlike a lot of people here it would seem).
    Last edited by Zephyr Storm; 2014-01-31 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    If I pay $15/mo in an MMO, generally I just get access to almost everything. I don't have to worry about my bag space or bank space or a tiny number of character slots, or an invented inconvenience for the sake of selling me a convenience later.
    Thing about this is that since GW2 allows Gold->Gem trading the net effect is nearly the same as typical sub based MMORPGs.

For example, I don't get all the bag slots as part of my sub in many games. I have to actually buy these additional slots for gold. Which varies from game to game in terms of cost and affordability. Though as a means of operation the process is exactly the same.

B2P or F2P games which do not allow the means to unlock bag slots via in-game currency trading are a different beast entirely. It is in that instance where both the F2P/B2P models that allow free trading and sub based MMOs are superior in their imposition of convenience to the player.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Is WoW really a fair comparison? I played it for 6 years so my tally is roughly the same, but no other MMO has managed to keep me enthralled for more than a year.
    probably not but let's take another example with wow then

Guild Wars 1, I spent $200 for all of the campaigns plus a couple of shop items. And I have more hours and time played than I did in WoW

However, I consider Guild Wars 1 the greatest game value that I have ever purchased.

probably not but let's take another example with wow then

Guild Wars 1, I spent $200 for all of the campaigns plus a couple of shop items. And I have more hours and time played than I did in WoW

However, I consider Guild Wars 1 the greatest game value that I have ever purchased.
    Honestly, they should have kept the same model for GW2 that they had for GW1. Release expansion content every 6 months to a year and have you pay for the box. That worked really well for GW1 and kept me coming back and playing for YEARS. GW2 so far has managed to keep me around for a grand total of maybe 5-6 months in the year and half it's been out. Anet really screwed the pooch IMO with how they decided to deliver content updates in GW2. Temporary, shallow, and down right shitty quality content every 2-4 weeks was a BAD idea.....at least for them it was.

I really hope they re-evaluate how they are going to update this game going forward, because with this current model, I foresee a lot more people jumping ship.

And the people who praise the two week updates seem to always confuse quality with quantity. Just because they give you something new to do every two weeks, doesn't mean it's of the quality it should be. And considering how almost every new update literally consists of nothing but grinding the next set of achievement points, it's pretty safe to say Anet went with quantity over quality. Especially when most people log in for the first few days of the update, grind everything out, then don't bother logging in again until the next update. That's not the sign of quality content.
    Last edited by Zephyr Storm; 2014-01-31 at 10:15 PM.

in this day and age I don't think they can do the same model. They have to (and have done) have a more aggressive cash shop model in order be sustainable and profitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    Honestly, they should have kept the same model for GW2 that they had for GW1. Release expansion content every 6 months to a year and have you pay for the box. That worked really well for GW1 and kept me coming back and playing for YEARS. GW2 so far has managed to keep me around for a grand total of maybe 5-6 months in the year and half it's been out. Anet really screwed the pooch IMO with how they decided to deliver content updates in GW2. Temporary, shallow, and down right shitty quality content every 2-4 weeks was a BAD idea.....at least for them it was.

I really hope they re-evaluate how they are going to update this game going forward, because with this current model, I foresee a lot more people jumping ship.
    GW2 is not the same as GW1, they really are different games. I don't think the GW1 model would ever fit for GW2.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    GW2 is not the same as GW1, they really are different games. I don't think the GW1 model would ever fit for GW2.
    It would work. They just refuse to try and come up with a way to make it work.