Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Craakar View Post
    Those 3 letters are a pain, especially ae (still using a British keyboard), I have to admit that.

Funnily enough, I can say both of those (having practised) perfectly and fastly haha. I can also say "stativ stakit kasket" no problem
    alt + 0229 = å
    alt + 0230 = æ
    alt + 0248 = ø

No need for "danish" keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    I always thought being fluent meant what the word means, so that the language flows, you don't have to pause to think of a word for example.
    I would say once you start thinking in that language you are fluent.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Or the words 'altsaa', 'da' and 'saadan' which were a giant pain in the ass I must say.
    It is nice to see that in this world there actually exist native English speakers able to replace å with aa as it should be. Heck many Danes fail that test.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    alt + 0229 = å
    alt + 0230 = æ
    alt + 0248 = ø

No need for "danish" keyboard
    There is no need for escape codes when the two letter combos and the specific letter are interchangeable at all times (except obviously when the two letter combo is not in fact that letter)

You are fluent.

Knowing a language at 100% with idioms and such is considered 'native level'.

Those 3 letters are a pain, especially ae (still using a British keyboard), I have to admit that.

Funnily enough, I can say both of those (having practised) perfectly and fastly haha. I can also say "stativ stakit kasket" no problem
    Lier!
    even most Danes can't pronounce that right!
    well. not fast 5 times in a row atleast
    -edit- seeing the words and saying them out loud was easier than i thought.
    still hard if you close your eyes and try to say it out loud 5 times.. yeeey for being childish

There's different levels of fluency in my opinion.
    I don't consider someome fluent if that person only can talk casually, you can basically learn that from watching TV or listening to people talk.
    It's rather what kind of topics you can discuss, and if you can get your point across. Can you read the newspaper? Things like that, on my opinion anyway.
    There's usually tests like the TOEFL test, just for you know, like Danish, or Swedish or whatever. Try taking it?

Out of the Scandinavian languages I'm fluent in both Swedish (being my mother tongue) and Norwegian. I have no problems understanding Danish, but I can't write it.
    If you know Danish already, picking up Swedish will be extremely easy, and it'll most likely give you a better foundation for your German studies.

Not a lot that really is truly fluent, and even people studying danish have people that is lacking in that regard.. I'm assuming it's not the elite of danish that reads on the carpentry education, so one pointing out their opinion about your language doesn't say a lot.
    But if we're not going down the grumpy old mans slope when it comes to language, i would say it's when you're so used to talk it that you don't really stumble for the words when talking, when your pronunciation is good enough for people not to wonder what you mean. For most people i assume you're there when you can think in that language without noticing. Or reading a text without having to translate it in the head.
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

Deleted
    You are either from UK or USA, right? I learned 3 languages in my elementary school, so it's really easy for me and the people I know to learn a new language and be confident enough to speak it, even though you're not exactly fluent at it. My advice is to not think too much of what you're going to say, but just say it.

Even if you say few English words here and there, people will understand you and with time, it'll get easier and you'll be more fluent and more importantly, more confident speaking the language.

I'd have to agree with most people in the thread, and say you are fluent.. Or atleast pretty darn close to it.

I only know 2 languages, Norwegian (mother tongue) and English, and you don't really know how good you are at the language untill you start speaking it regulary. For my part, that happened when I moved to Ireland, and had to speak English everyday.. If you know Danish, then both Swedish and Norwegian are pretty close, and shouldnt be too much of a hassle to understand.

GJ learning Danish though, I want to start learning either Spanish or French, but havent gotten around to it yet.

Deleted
    My girlfriend strangely doesn't have a big problem with Æ, Ø, Å. The worst letters have actually been Y and our soft D. Her trying to say flødebolle is hilarious. Fløllleebolle.
    It's awesome how fast you've learnt the language. Kudos to you! I do believe you are fluent if you can have a conversation with no problem

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tithian View Post
    Knowing a language at 100% with idioms and such is considered 'native level'.
    That's not true.
    Fluent and native are actually the same thing, while native just indicates it is your first language (or mother tongue).
    There is no such thing as a requirement for being native that you have to know a language 100%.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mnnm2 View Post
    My girlfriend strangely doesn't have a big problem with Æ, Ø, Å. The worst letters have actually been Y and our soft D. Her trying to say flødebolle is hilarious. Fløllleebolle.
    It's awesome how fast you've learnt the language. Kudos to you! I do believe you are fluent if you can have a conversation with no problem
    It's actually a silent D! You pronounce flødebolle => Flø-e-bol-le

Deleted
    Man, it really depends on where you're from. Because where I'm from it's not silent but a soft one. Like the one in Mad

10+ Year Old Account
    if you type dk at the end of your name, you are pretty close to being fluent.

easy to spot a danish in a crowd
    war does not determine who is right, only who is left.

10+ Year Old Account
    You understand 99% of what is said ? i'd consider that pretty damn fluent. Especially since it is Danish, such a weird spoken language.
    I can still understand it just fine, but that's not surprising since Norwegian is just another take on Danish. Well, not my dialect, but still : P

There is no such thing as a requirement for being native that you have to know a language 100%.
    And thank goodness for that, i'd fail in a heartbeat. It's not easy to keep track of all the damn dialects, 2 written forms. As well as English, Swedish and Danish. And their dialects again.. : O

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Endre View Post
    You are either from UK or USA, right?.
    Scotland, so yeah, the UK.

The way I try to explain it to people is that it's closest to "lth", I really can't explain it any other way haha.