Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Coming from someone who manages a High End used car dealership believe me: There is nothing wrong with buying a used car. Especially a late model low mileage off-lease example.

For $26k (About the price of a BRZ) You could buy a lower mileage Infiniti G37, Acura TL, Lexus ES350, might could even find a C300 (or even 350) in that price range.
    Buy one thats a Off-Lease car. Meaning someone just turned in their lease. Which they usually took pretty good care of just because they could get charged for every little imperfection when they turned it in. Also it should have a bunch of factory warranty remaining on it. All those manufactures offer a 4 year/50k warranty. (Bumper to Bumper). Powertrain (Engine/Trans) is usually 70k miles. Hell Infiniti even gives a 6 year/60k mile warranty (Even 2009's are still in!!). And you can usually buy a pretty good extended warranty through companies like Allstate pretty inexpensively.

You'd get a lot more car by going used. Especially if you find a nice 2010 or 11 with around 30k miles. It's true that some owners have been better on their cars then others but thats where the Warranty comes in. (Luxury car brands usually give A LOT better warranty then the brands you mentioned.) They'll even usually replace interior trim pieces (Woodgrain fading, Buttons getting worn, etc). Hell, BMW even does all maintence for free under 50k miles. Brakes, Rotors, Wiper Blades, everything except tires.

Modern day cars are designed with abuse in mind. They hold up pretty well. Especially Japanese brands. Look at how many older Lexus's, Infiniti's, Honda's, Toyota's, etc you see driving around. In my opinion I'd never by a VW. VW/Audi seem to be the most unreliable cars I've ever seen.

Go get a gently used low mileage luxury car for the same money your spending on a new one. If for no other reason do it for the depreciation value.

Example:
    Say you buy a 2010 Lexus ES350 with 40k miles for $24k. You drive it around for a year or so enjoying the nav, and the heated/cooled seats, and all the other luxury features it have. Keep in mind Lexus is probably the most reliable brand out there and you wouldn't ever have a problem with it even if it had the piss dogged out of it (they really are that good) and even if it did it'd be covered under factory warranty (most dealerships even give you a loaner)

2 years down the road you decide your tired of it. It now has 70k miles on it. You decide to go trade it in on something else. You'd probably still get a trade in value of $18-20 grand depending on the condition you've kept it in.

On the other hand say you buy the Ford focus. 2014 brand new 0 miles on it. Say you spend about $23k on it. (Im assuming you want Leather, Back up Camera, Bluetooth, etc at the least I'd recommend getting it just for resell value.) Drive it for 2 years. It now has 30k miles on it. That car, if you traded it in, would be worth about $14 grand. Last week, at auction and listed in "Extra Clean Condition", a 2013 with 7k miles sold for 17 grand. (THATS A $6 GRAND LOSS OVER LESS THEN A YEAR!)

Much better to buy used.

If you have pretty good credit you'd get anywhere from 1.99-3.99 interest on a used car too. Not bad at all.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by daniel9696 View Post
    Coming from someone who manages a High End used car dealership believe me: There is nothing wrong with buying a used car. Especially a late model low mileage off-lease example.

For $26k (About the price of a BRZ) You could buy a lower mileage Infiniti G37, Acura TL, Lexus ES350, might could even find a C300 (or even 350) in that price range.
    Buy one thats a Off-Lease car. Meaning someone just turned in their lease. Which they usually took pretty good care of just because they could get charged for every little imperfection when they turned it in. Also it should have a bunch of factory warranty remaining on it. All those manufactures offer a 4 year/50k warranty. (Bumper to Bumper). Powertrain (Engine/Trans) is usually 70k miles. Hell Infiniti even gives a 6 year/60k mile warranty (Even 2009's are still in!!). And you can usually buy a pretty good extended warranty through companies like Allstate pretty inexpensively.

You'd get a lot more car by going used. Especially if you find a nice 2010 or 11 with around 30k miles. It's true that some owners have been better on their cars then others but thats where the Warranty comes in. (Luxury car brands usually give A LOT better warranty then the brands you mentioned.) They'll even usually replace interior trim pieces (Woodgrain fading, Buttons getting worn, etc). Hell, BMW even does all maintence for free under 50k miles. Brakes, Rotors, Wiper Blades, everything except tires.

Modern day cars are designed with abuse in mind. They hold up pretty well. Especially Japanese brands. Look at how many older Lexus's, Infiniti's, Honda's, Toyota's, etc you see driving around. In my opinion I'd never by a VW. VW/Audi seem to be the most unreliable cars I've ever seen.

Go get a gently used low mileage luxury car for the same money your spending on a new one. If for no other reason do it for the depreciation value.

Example:
    Say you buy a 2010 Lexus ES350 with 40k miles for $24k. You drive it around for a year or so enjoying the nav, and the heated/cooled seats, and all the other luxury features it have. Keep in mind Lexus is probably the most reliable brand out there and you wouldn't ever have a problem with it even if it had the piss dogged out of it (they really are that good) and even if it did it'd be covered under factory warranty (most dealerships even give you a loaner)

2 years down the road you decide your tired of it. It now has 70k miles on it. You decide to go trade it in on something else. You'd probably still get a trade in value of $18-20 grand depending on the condition you've kept it in.

On the other hand say you buy the Ford focus. 2014 brand new 0 miles on it. Say you spend about $23k on it. (Im assuming you want Leather, Back up Camera, Bluetooth, etc at the least I'd recommend getting it just for resell value.) Drive it for 2 years. It now has 30k miles on it. That car, if you traded it in, would be worth about $14 grand. Last week, at auction and listed in "Extra Clean Condition", a 2013 with 7k miles sold for 17 grand. (THATS A $6 GRAND LOSS OVER LESS THEN A YEAR!)

Much better to buy used.

If you have pretty good credit you'd get anywhere from 1.99-3.99 interest on a used car too. Not bad at all.
    Wow really good info. Yeah my credit is 827 so I know I would be good with financing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    The new Focus is garbage. They give those to Army recruiters up here in Mass as government vehicles. The soldiers are always complaining about them.
    Oh really? Any reasons do they give? Also, aren't fleet vehicles cheap?
    my SWTOR referal link:
    http://www.swtor.com/r/CVCyHD

Quote Originally Posted by select20 View Post
    Wow really good info. Yeah my credit is 827 so I know I would be good with financing.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh really? Any reasons do they give? Also, aren't fleet vehicles cheap?

With a 827 you'll have no problem getting a great interest rate. If I were you rather you go new or used try and get a loan through your credit union (assuming you have one).

Also keep in mind some dealers are better then others, and some cars are better than others. Anyone in the business has seen cars that truely look, drive, and run immaculate, and they think they're great cars, and they turn out to have issues. It just happens. Take anything you buy to get a pre purchase inspection (take it to multiple places too - i've seen cars that I know had issues go to the dealer for an inspection and they found nothing wrong with it)

If I were you i'd find a nice 2011 Japanese brand that had around 30k miles. If you can find a Lexus that appeals to you go with it. They truly are the most reliable cars on the planet, their service departments are usually top notch. And they hold they're value like crazy. (To the point that I still give about 5 grand for 1998 models with over 200k miles on it)

Infiniti's pretty good too. Like I said they do have a 6 year bumper to bumper warranty. They are VERY sporty too. Tight steering, lot of power, and RWD. You can even get the G37 Sedan in a 5 speed. Just be wary because i've seen a few develop serious upper engine problems. (Like 2 out of the hundreds I've sold but still haha)

Honda Accord Cpe V6's are a lot of car for the money too. I'd take one over the BRZ any day.

And if you find the right CPO at the right price it's hard to go wrong.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Ave07 View Post
    Every person I know that bought a used car had to pour in $1000's in work into it. My cousin bought a 2011 Nissan for $800 and so far he had spent almost $3k pretty much replacing everything. My other cousin also bought a used 2010 Camry and his engine died within a year.

So if you are looking for a used car just make sure you know a lot about cars or bring someone.
    Both situations still worlds cheaper than a new car.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by daniel9696 View Post
    With a 827 you'll have no problem getting a great interest rate. If I were you rather you go new or used try and get a loan through your credit union (assuming you have one).

Also keep in mind some dealers are better then others, and some cars are better than others. Anyone in the business has seen cars that truely look, drive, and run immaculate, and they think they're great cars, and they turn out to have issues. It just happens. Take anything you buy to get a pre purchase inspection (take it to multiple places too - i've seen cars that I know had issues go to the dealer for an inspection and they found nothing wrong with it)

If I were you i'd find a nice 2011 Japanese brand that had around 30k miles. If you can find a Lexus that appeals to you go with it. They truly are the most reliable cars on the planet, their service departments are usually top notch. And they hold they're value like crazy. (To the point that I still give about 5 grand for 1998 models with over 200k miles on it)

Infiniti's pretty good too. Like I said they do have a 6 year bumper to bumper warranty. They are VERY sporty too. Tight steering, lot of power, and RWD. You can even get the G37 Sedan in a 5 speed. Just be wary because i've seen a few develop serious upper engine problems. (Like 2 out of the hundreds I've sold but still haha)

Honda Accord Cpe V6's are a lot of car for the money too. I'd take one over the BRZ any day.

And if you find the right CPO at the right price it's hard to go wrong.

Good luck!
    Thanks for the advice!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    My husband is saying they are cheaply built and just trash.
    noted for sure
    my SWTOR referal link:
    http://www.swtor.com/r/CVCyHD

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    If you are in first while doing 25+ mph (well, in a non-supercar), you're doing it wrong.
    early 1980s cars with those dreadful under-powered V8s and 3 speed transmissions also had ridiculously tall gears and first gear would go up to 45+mph.

Deleted
    Its three cars in different leagues. Choose depending on how you live and your income.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would recomend the Focus! good model and reliable.
    Also aftermarket parts ain't that hard to get if you would like to style / tune it up a bit.
    I'm a stranger, I'm a changer.
    And I'm danger... maybe...

http://youtu.be/dNEtnyAm6S4

Quote Originally Posted by CandyCotton Marshmallows View Post
    but then you'd also realize that at a certain point, that power becomes useless on the street.
    I keep reading it but I don't understand

OP, have you considered the Dodge Dart?

http://www.dodge.com/en/dart/
    Last edited by Kulanae; 2014-01-31 at 09:52 PM.