Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Nothing to be perfectly honest, i love wow! I loved it for ages and I'll keep on loving it!! I've played every wow killer and come back to warcraft. I think Wildstar looks interesting and a bit of fun but I know I'll still be playing wow. I would like to hope though that the shop doesn't become p2w, if old per tier gear was to become available dont think id have a problem in that either tbh i just don't think its fair that paying player can get the same rewards as progression players; not that I think Blizz would ever implement such a thing...

My 2 cents...

When I have to buy the game and then pay a monthly subscription... Oh wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Kerdoz View Post
    When you can buy BiS gear. Or there are potions/flask/food that are better than crafted ones.
    So if I could buy full heroic gear that wasnt warforged you would support that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrowshire View Post
    Well, I made an animated presentation of my breaking point!

Fuck yeah dude. Love your style.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kerdoz View Post
    When you can buy BiS gear. Or there are potions/flask/food that are better than crafted ones.
    Lets think about that. If 572 is bis, you'd be okay with them selling 553? Selling gear with stats period is pay2win. It isn't "Pay2getthebestgearinthegameandonlythenitspay2win"

Quote Originally Posted by Darrowshire View Post
    Well, I made an animated presentation of my breaking point!

Thank you so much for this! The breaking point is well past for me. I was pissed off at the mounts and transmog items that were in the shop instead of getting them ingame, but you know, I somehow looked past it. But selling 90s really pissed me off and right now the only thing keeping me is that the next Expansion looks promising and the new models look very neat and well done if it wasn't for that I'd be done with Blizzard for a good long time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    Guess you'll be gone forever then, bye.
    Nothing is ever certain. Remember how pissed ppl were about the RMAH in D3? Guess where that's going?

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    My Breaking point would be when the game becomes pay2win. Buying gear and titles etc. I'm fine with cosmetic stuff, races, boosts etc etc. But I do think everything on the store should be obtainable in game as well. Store should be for convenience. Basically the SWTOR model, for example: you can level to max level to unlock a race for all classes, or you can simply buy the race unlock.

I don't normally post here, but as my time using this site winds down, I'll contribute to the thread and state that my breaking point is letting people buy level 90's in the in-game shop. I have canceled my subscription and my account with be frozen on the 22nd of February. Bought the game at release, so I think I've gotten a lot of enjoyment from it. Rather play LoL where everything but cosmetic skins can be bought with in-game currency at fair prices. Tried coming back for the end of MoP so I could see all the content, and was greeted with the implementation of a cash shop with free level 90 option for players even if they had never leveled a character past level 1 before. Disappointed that this part of my life that I was hoping to bring back just had another nail hammered into its coffin, but there is only so much greed I can support as a gamer.

to add on more: The only reason I played this game was for the community, I don't care about new character models, I just want some form of boss to raid and a large group of others to rise the challenge with. I don't see these changes supporting a better community, it feels like a dirty way to squeeze more cash out of those that need to diversify their character roster in order to min/max raid comps.
    Last edited by Seprest; 2014-01-31 at 01:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    Anything that could be considered Pay 2 Win.
    Unfortunately, people have different ideas of what "Pay 2 Win" means. Sadly too many take the term "win" literally, when it's obviously a figurative term.

My cash shop breaking point, although it's not going to make me quit, is having all the Free to play buttons in a subscription based game.

The trashy, unprofessional, and sloppy look that free to play games have is one of the main reasons why I have always preferred WoW. Now WoW is starting to look that way, except I'm still paying a monthly fee. Next thing there will be Cash Shop NPC's next to the auctioneer's, and advertisement flags hanging on the side of buildings for the cash shop.
    Last edited by ablib; 2014-01-31 at 01:58 AM.

Gear with stats.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing would make me not want to play WoW. I don't see a reason to quit playing a game you love because of things other people can get and you are free to ignore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing whatsoever, because I can choose not to use it, how people want to play (good or bad) is their business, it's that simple.
    HOOKED ON DIABLOL, GOOD TIMES ARE BEING HAD

The cash shop is my breaking point. They want a cash shop? make the sub optional.
    Seriously, every time I think "ehhh maybe WoW would be worth it again" Blizzard just makes it a worse and worse deal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Statted gear not included in a level boost (or statted gear from level boosts rivaling current-endgame raid gear) and/or best-in-slot being available only with purchase (or from content only available on the store). If the game goes free-play, I'd be more lenient, given the free-play business model relies on cash shop sales. It wouldn't be a dealbreaker, but it'd certainly alienate me from using the store in the future.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by tgoodchild View Post
    When they start selling US Dollars in the cash shop at a greater than 1:1 ratio (i.e. I pay 2 dollars, they send me 1 dollar), then it'll be past my ... oh wait, I can just not buy it.

When the only way to progress my character in simple ways is by buying something extra (for example, rather than a quest and some gold to unlock flying in WoD you have to buy flying with real dollars only), then it'll be past my breaking point.
    The reality is though, that the existence of the store has an effect on how they design the game. For example instead of making leveling more interesting they just let people buy their way out of it. Not only is it cheaper, they make money off of bad design. Each individual thing they add to the item store is individually not a big deal, when you consider everything all together including how it can potentially impact other parts of the game it becomes more of an issue.

For example, I used to love collecting mounts and pets. It was a big time sink for me and I enjoyed it. When they started selling pets and mounts I could no longer collect them all without spending real money. That made collecting them feel pointless. It sucked the enjoyment out of that activity for me, and took away that time sink that I enjoyed.

Also when you talk about pay to win, MMORPGs are all about time, everything you want to do requires time and how much time you have is a limiting factor on what you can achieve to help you "win".(and winning is seldom difficult it is more of a question how much time you have to spend or are willing to spend to do the things that help you win) Things like mounts are a time saver albeit not a huge one anymore. Experience boosts are a time saver, and instant level 90 is a hell of a time saver. They can say it isn't pay to win because the connection isn't direct, but have no doubts winning in an MMORPG is all about time, the less time you have to spend doing things that don't contribute directly to your goals, the more time you can spend getting what you need to "win". Not to mention that vanity tends to be hugely important to people in these games and having stuff that looks cool to them is winning, in that regard for those people pretty much everything in the store is pay to win.

Quote Originally Posted by jbombard View Post
    The reality is though, that the existence of the store has an effect on how they design the game. For example instead of making leveling more interesting they just let people buy their way out of it. Not only is it cheaper, they make money off of bad design. Each individual thing they add to the item store is individually not a big deal, when you consider everything all together including how it can potentially impact other parts of the game it becomes more of an issue.

For example, I used to love collecting mounts and pets. It was a big time sink for me and I enjoyed it. When they started selling pets and mounts I could no longer collect them all without spending real money. That made collecting them feel pointless. It sucked the enjoyment out of that activity for me, and took away that time sink that I enjoyed.

Also when you talk about pay to win, MMORPGs are all about time, everything you want to do requires time and how much time you have is a limiting factor on what you can achieve to help you "win".(and winning is seldom difficult it is more of a question how much time you have to spend or are willing to spend to do the things that help you win) Things like mounts are a time saver albeit not a huge one anymore. Experience boosts are a time saver, and instant level 90 is a hell of a time saver. They can say it isn't pay to win because the connection isn't direct, but have no doubts winning in an MMORPG is all about time, the less time you have to spend doing things that don't contribute directly to your goals, the more time you can spend getting what you need to "win". Not to mention that vanity tends to be hugely important to people in these games and having stuff that looks cool to them is winning, in that regard for those people pretty much everything in the store is pay to win.

How refreshing it is to read an intelligent post on this subject. Thank you.

As I've said before, too many people think the term "win" is a literal term (I got 14/14 HC with real money!). When it's actually a figurative term you described above.

The second there is gear with stats on the store Ill peace out. The whole point of an MMO imo is to go through the trials and watching your character grow in power and status. It is the reward. If I or someone else can get all that growth and progress instantly by swiping a credit card, whats the fucking point anymore? Everyone coins the phrase "unique snowflake" but people tend to forget that THAT is what MMOs were originally all about. You saw that guy with that rare gear and wanted to be that guy. You saw the dude with the awesome mount that was hard to get or all the respect he got from the community because of his skill and gear and you wanted to work your way up to that status. All that is lost with microtransactions and community toxicity.
    Last edited by Grishnok; 2014-01-31 at 02:49 AM.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    My cash shop breaking point? If you had to pay to access it....

It's already been crossed with the instant 90. I just won't ever be able to bring myself to level a new alt ever again.

Of course it can get much worse when they start selling valor and extra lockouts or even gold. If they start selling gold they will probably find a way to justify making many raid ilvl boe epics every tier, but not heroic epics as many fans will then point out.

tl;dr It's already bad and it can get much much worse, but really I don't care anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you could buy extra chances at gear beyond what is available. Better gems/enchants/flasks/food than what is available. Things that disrupt the in game economy would also piss me off but depends on how bad.