Poll: Would you like GW2 more like original?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Do you wish that GW2 was more like the original?

This question is aimed at the people who've experienced both GW games.

While I'm not going to go into much detail, I really miss the old skill system, I loved the endless builds (yes I understand many of the skills were double-ups and or very similar), but still, it felt so good to just make up a random build and run a few PvE dungeons or campaign quests. I also really miss the old campaign system, and playing characters through a single expansion or all of them.

What do you guys recon?

Deleted
    Yup. Some mechanics would work in GW2 and I think that 'the perfect mix' of GW1 and GW2 could be a great success.

I think they are very different games. With very different goals and design.

That said, Guild Wars 1 is one of the most mechanically well designed games of it's era. Guild Wars 1 is far more complex in rules, game mechanics and better executed in the design of narrative drive and presentation than the sequel.

However, GW1 and 2 are just aimed at very different audiences. Times changed.

Do I enjoy Guild Wars 1 more? Sure. But GW2 is it's own thing too.

Partly, GW2 good as it is. It's different game.

The only thing I want in GW2 is Class combinations. I loved to play Necromancer with 2-hand warrior weapons. Also there were more classes.

GW2 have many controversial mechanics for me that I would like to be changed but all of them have nothing to do with GW1.
    Last edited by OmniSkribe; 2014-01-31 at 04:58 PM.

Deleted
    I do miss the class system, there are many specs in GW2 that just don't work but would work with a few certain abilities to cover mobility or defence for example. You could do that with class matching. What we have now in GW2 is 1-2 dominant specs per class and the others are left to rot

I consider GW1 the greatest value of any game that I've played. Do I wish there were certain things that they took over into GW2? For sure but like Fencers said, it's a completely different game. I enjoy both though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I think they are very different games. With very different goals and design.

That said, Guild Wars 1 is one of the most mechanically well designed games of it's era. Guild Wars 1 is far more complex in rules, game mechanics and better executed in the design of narrative drive and presentation than the sequel.

However, GW1 and 2 are just aimed at very different audiences. Times changed.

Do I enjoy Guild Wars 1 more? Sure. But GW2 is it's own thing too.
    GW1 audience: people with brains

GW2 audience: comatose patients

lul

GW1 was hell at launch but it got great pretty quickly, faster than GW2 is. GW2 is still way behind it in terms of magnificence, challenge, and imo fun factor. The lore is total garbage, gameplay is easy. What more needs to be said? It's farmville 2.0

We've talked about how GW1 had far better narrative drive and presentation before Fencers, but I'm curious what you think the point in totally demolishing those perfect cut-scene performances we had? I can't see how different audiences would have anything to do with it. They changed something that totally didn't need changing. The narrative in this game is god awful.

The next pvp update absolutely needs new modes and to get us out of this fucking garbage meta. If they gave us GvG we could essentially be happy and run the pvp scene our goddamn selves like we did in GW1 when they abandoned us for this trash. I really wish they took pvp more seriously.

OT: Yes I wish it was but it would and will never happen because those devs are loooong gone.
    Last edited by Lazuli; 2014-02-01 at 11:13 AM.

We've talked about how GW1 had far better narrative drive and presentation before Fencers, but I'm curious what you think the point in totally demolishing those perfect cut-scene performances we had? I can't see how different audiences would have anything to do with it. They changed something that totally didn't need changing. The narrative in this game is god awful.
    I am not sure what you mean here exactly. Guild Wars 2 has cutscenes too. It's just that the cutscenes in Guild Wars 2 are like terrible.

Anet didn't demolish or get rid of cutscenes in the GW sequel. They just made a lot of bad ones for a crummy story.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guild Wars 1 was probably the greatest game I've ever played. So absolutely. Guild Wars 2 was the biggest disappointment in my life.

Deleted
    Guild Wars is great because of all of the varying builds you could switch to. Much like warcraft pre WotLK, before all of the talents got bundled down into three lines that you couldn`t step out of & gave you much less build choice.
    Dumbing down a game because a few folk never switched builds is just flat out bad excuse. If someone can`t work out a decent build, they can easily ask guildies, online cronies, or traipse the interwebs. Part of the fun is learning & making your own builds.

Story wise, Guild Wars story is bloody good, whereas gw2s just tends to suck the sphericals.
    At least the cut scenes are finally skippable (mostly) but then there`s stories in books placed in places that you`ve no way to know they`re there.
    Or their biggest lore fail, putting the story on websites & not in game. You should never have to alt tab from a game to find any part of the story.
    At least they didn`t pop up a requester mid screen with a "click here for the next part..."

& then there`s the UI.....SHEESH!!
    Last edited by mmoca2c81d9292; 2014-02-01 at 03:49 PM.

I do miss signet of capture and cross profession combos. Hunting monsters for new skills and mix and matching profession attacks was incredibly genius.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

I like them both for what they are. If I ever want to play GW1, I can simply go back and play GW1. However, there are some elements of GW1 I wish they had taken over to GW2.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    I do miss signet of capture and cross profession combos. Hunting monsters for new skills and mix and matching profession attacks was incredibly genius.
    Absolutely loved Signet of Capture in GW1.

Actually GW1 was one of the few games I ever bothered pursuing achievements. I enjoyed the achievement system in GW1 so much I have 4 accounts that are GWAMMs.

Absolutely loved Signet of Capture in GW1.
    Was engaging, open, fun and unique. If they ruin it in GW2 I don't know what I will do :l

Actually GW1 was one of the few games I ever bothered pursuing achievements. I enjoyed the achievement system in GW1 so much I have 4 accounts that are GWAMMs.
    If I had found GW1 right when it was released I would be with you. I just don't like doing achievements late game. It personally irks me.

If I had found GW1 right when it was released I would be with you. I just don't like doing achievements late game. It personally irks me.
    I just do 'em for the fun of it. Every so often I delete a character in GW1 and solo the entire game just for the heck of it. The gameplay is excellent.

I mostly miss customizing your skill bar, and consequently going around capturing skills. However the knowledge that many players would play through the entire game with the same skills they unlocked in pre, just blows my mind... how do you fix that (or do you just ignore it?).

That being said, I very much like the fast paced action mechanics. I like the idea of a downed state, but I think they missed the mark as far as execution. And I love the quickly released content... some of it like the current marionette has been amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I just do 'em for the fun of it. Every so often I delete a character in GW1 and solo the entire game just for the heck of it. The gameplay is excellent.
    I lost my account and can't get it back :'(

Deleted
    I lost my account and can't get it back :'(
    You can get Guild Wars accounts restored. Someone I knew from gw2 had had theirs hacked & lost it, I pestered them to get it back. It took them a week if I recall, but as luck would have it, whoever had hacked it, had also farmed forty points in HoM.

Worth submitting a ticket.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guild Wars II obviously is much better. However some things I'd rather remove or fix.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbait View Post
    You can get Guild Wars accounts restored. Someone I knew from gw2 had had theirs hacked & lost it, I pestered them to get it back. It took them a week if I recall, but as luck would have it, whoever had hacked it, had also farmed forty points in HoM.

Worth submitting a ticket.
    Already tried, at this point I have to start a new account.