Poll: Would you like GW2 more like original?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    mercs will never be added to gw2, you would have to redesign the whole game for it
    Not really, it would be no different then grouping up with actual players except mercs would probably be really stupid. Lol Dervish NPCs in GW1 never worked, ever.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    It dose not cost that much to get all the GW1 content.

http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/gui...llection/98664

If you can find someone selling the complete collection it costs around $30. Gamestop is sold out it seems.

Ontopic: No I don't I personally like how GW2 is setup more then GW1.
    That's no longer available anywhere and hasn't been for some time it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Not really, it would be no different then grouping up with actual players except mercs would probably be really stupid. Lol Dervish NPCs in GW1 never worked, ever.
    maybe in dungeons or other instances

but in the open world? I just can't see it

Quote Originally Posted by Tannaya View Post
    That's no longer available anywhere and hasn't been for some time it seems.
    K well you can get the triple pack and EOE costing $10 more.

- - - Updated - - -

I can see it moreso in open world since most content is zerg anyway.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Otaka View Post
    Not really... it took quite sometime for me to know how to get legendary and how some of those forges and crafting work in gw2.
    And there are still people daily in my guild asking how to do this and that... and even more people who ask how to get a legendary.
    Its complicated process especially for a new player.
    Even the dungeon armor gathering was tiny bit complicated at first but once you know what dungeons drop what tokens and you are good to go... i didnt bother with those for many months. And legendary took alot more researching to figure out how to get one... it ends up requiring a pre-weapon that drops from world bosses and after that you need tons of materials to make it.

Same thing with gw1... the story side was complicated to do with the henchman first but few years later i managed to continue it, maybe it got nerfed i dont know... but still at some point you come upon quests in gw1 which proves to be a brickwall unless you have a grp of players to do it with. Some are impossible with henchman if your character doesnt have good gear.
    There`s a huge difference between knowing how to craft something in gw2 or which dungeon tokens drop from where, to the mass of builds/classes you could & should flit through to survive through some zones/missions in Guild Wars.
    Yeah, knowing what items you need to build a leg end or arsended gear is a shopping list at times, but once you find that list, it`s a no brainer.
    I did know some that asked me via FB on how to craft & one simple short youtube clip later, job`s a good `un.

Whereas in Guild Wars, you had to work out your builds because going in with just any old spells on your bar would be a guaranteed death & more then likely, you & the hench/heroes getting spawn camped at the nearest spawn point where a patrol just happened to perambulate past. More so in the dungeons.

Not only did you have to sort your own gear/traits/weapons etc out, equipping/setting up your heroes for each fight could make a huge difference also along with also positioning them just right. Even after some youtube clips folk can still struggle with some areas, I`ve often seen lfg Battle for Lions Arch, one which took me a few runs until I got my gear/timing just right & then whammo, grinning like the Cheshire moggy upon completion

By the way, if anyone needs a mini Shaman (purple) in Guild Wars to aid their HoM points, I`ve a spare one or two cluttering up my bags.

10+ Year Old Account
    I loved finding skills anywhere in the world, a vast number of them, instead of the pitiful amount we get now.

I loved merging classes to make whatever I wanted.

I loved chest runs!

I did not love not being able to jump

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Constraint View Post

I did not love not being able to jump
    haha, that`s something me & a mate joke about all the time. If you can`t jump in a game, the game is awful

P.S. "/jump"

I've played so many games that didn't have jump that it never bothered me. I mean I certainly preferred jumping but it didn't bother me that there was none in GW1.

That is what I was mainly thinking. Open world would be impossible with the amount of players. Unless they made it so whenever you use a merc or hero that you are in your own separate instance of the zone. Which is 100% possible since we have overflow.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbait View Post
    haha, that`s something me & a mate joke about all the time. If you can`t jump in a game, the game is awful

P.S. "/jump"
    Really is one of my benchmarks too. Of course some games it makes sense, but others it just feel obnoxious and mean

As to GW1, I played it from release for a while, but I have never completed it (you know what I mean), because I always played solo, and quite frankly the minion-NPCs were awful (when I played). GW2 has multiplayer elements, but at least I can do stuff on my tod if I choose.

Perhaps I am selling GW1 a bit short, but I must have done that first bit when Ascalon gets knackered about 30 times

10+ Year Old Account
    GW2 all the way

GW1 has some things i have grown to utterly detest; heavy instancing, no-jumping, clunky mechanics and gameplay feel, the trinity (i really dislike the trinity in PvP games as it creates false dependencies and because people like to level as healers makes for a game that can never be balanced as devs have to give healers damage).
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

Gw didn't have the trinity, healers also could level without going damage...
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    GW2 all the way

GW1 has some things i have grown to utterly detest; heavy instancing, no-jumping, clunky mechanics and gameplay feel, the trinity (i really dislike the trinity in PvP games as it creates false dependencies and because people like to level as healers makes for a game that can never be balanced as devs have to give healers damage).
    That`s a bit odd though isn`t it? Yes Guild Wars was instanced, but so is gw2. Only difference being that in gw2 you can then join someone in a zone or party without having to head to an outpost. Or if you meant that you never saw anyone not in your party, then agreed, but that can be an advantage at times
    *deep breath*

As for the trinity, it never bothered me in games like Aion, warcraft (even Darkspore ;p) etc.
    I never played healer, but had some alts that could heal.
    Sure it could be a pain when in arena or against two bubbladins or two disc priests (it happens /cringe), but if you ran Rbgs/bgs/Wintergrasp etc, we knew who our good healers were & to protect them. Sure, at one point Disc went insanely op, but let`s face it, gw2s balance is awful in general so with a trinity in this game, it`d most likely bomb nose first.

I sort of like that everyone is responsible for their own heals/life in gw2, but them anet trying to push some classes/weapons much more toward support yet not giving them any real decent defence, makes it worse then a trinity.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I am not sure what you mean here exactly. Guild Wars 2 has cutscenes too. It's just that the cutscenes in Guild Wars 2 are like terrible.

Anet didn't demolish or get rid of cutscenes in the GW sequel. They just made a lot of bad ones for a crummy story.
    After a couple bad experiences with GW1 cutscenes (plus the no-jump/ pathing), most of my friends wrote the game off. It was nice enough to use the ingame assetts, but the glitches we'd always experience were just laughable. (A charr that got through a gate, so spent the entire cutscene beating on Rurik while Rurik have some speech, for instance.)

Myself, I loved Prophecies storyline and such, and the cutscene glitches didn't bother me that much, so I henchman'd my way to the end.

For myself, I like GW2's cutscene style well enough, but I don't miss it when they don't use it. From what I gather they're moving away from it to more in-world dialogue and such for most things. The original Personal Quest was just a failure though. I really enjoyed some of the parts (Asura's infinity ball, sylvari's other tree), but overall it was a failed middle ground between the grand "the world evolves with YOU!" stuff and the linear "yeah, follow the one storypath" of GW1.

While I overall think GW2's movement and combat is better, I did love just being able to click on a signpost to go there, not sure why MMO's don't add that. I really wish they had more combat skill breadth, and keeping dual-class could have easily expanded options in all sorts of combinations, even without a full skill system.

- - - Updated - - -

That`s a bit odd though isn`t it? Yes Guild Wars was instanced, but so is gw2. Only difference being that in gw2 you can then join someone in a zone or party without having to head to an outpost. Or if you meant that you never saw anyone not in your party, then agreed, but that can be an advantage at times
    In general, the use of the word "instance" just keeps changing meaning depending on who is using it. Is saying a server is one big instance in WoW really accurate?

So yeah, for a lot of us, "Open World Area" is not an "instance". A closed (Invite/group only) area is. The terminology can be "open instance" or "closed instance" or whatever, but just saying "instance" doesn't mean you're talking about the same thing sometimes. I'm not trying to argue semantics, by any means, just trying to make it clear.

Some folks have always made the claim that GW1 wasn't really an MMORPG. You had town hubs and full closed instances for everything else.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post

In general, the use of the word "instance" just keeps changing meaning depending on who is using it. Is saying a server is one big instance in WoW really accurate?

So yeah, for a lot of us, "Open World Area" is not an "instance". A closed (Invite/group only) area is. The terminology can be "open instance" or "closed instance" or whatever, but just saying "instance" doesn't mean you're talking about the same thing sometimes. I'm not trying to argue semantics, by any means, just trying to make it clear.

Some folks have always made the claim that GW1 wasn't really an MMORPG. You had town hubs and full closed instances for everything else.
    Guess I never thought of instance in ways others may see them. Thinking of it that way, would make northrend, outland etc instanced zones too, which you`re right, they are different but still fit.
    I tend to think of instance as when you see a swirly gate to enter another zone, like all gw2, Guild Wars & some parts of warcraft (B`Elf zones etc).

10+ Year Old Account
    More solo, less MMO? Not really honestly.

Frankly, I didn't play much GW1, I couldn't get into it. I liked seeing other people out in the world, and I really like the way GW2 often gets random people to come together to do whatever happens to be going on nearby. I've come to dislike the WoW model of standing around in the city looking for a dungeon. Hell even running the train in Queensdale is preferable, it may be repetitive, but it's fun and people come and people go and it doesn't feel like you need to be in your own little box to play the game.

If I wanna go solo, I'll go 110% solo and hop over to Skyrim or something, I like the community and I like the spontaneity GW2 brings to the table, so I won't trade it for a more instanced world.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

I miss Elona, i miss the combat system, i miss elite skills, i miss the duo class system, i miss the ghetto crafting system, i miss heroes, i miss the way story missions were set up. Well it's all probably just nostalgia, but if i could have everything from GW1 in GW2 + some of the new things, yes please. One of my favourite aspects of the combat system was that when you went ele and you had Savant Heat (elite) and Rain of Fire and your whole screen was full of numbers because you were hitting so many grouped up enemies. Oh, and instanced outposts. Those were pretty neat imo. Anet should implement them as open cities with waypoints in them just like Ebonhawke.

Deleted
    I wonder if some people voting 'no' have EVER played GW1, lol.

P.S. "/jump"
    I don't fully understand the compulsion to jump in games just anywhere.

Most games don't even require players to use the jump action. MMOs least of all. Unless there is a pitfall or the game genre depends on feats of dexterity the jump action is totally superfluous.

I was playing The Secret World last night for about an hour. Didn't hit jump once. No element of game mechanics caused or used the action. That morning I was playing Path of Exile, which has no jumping, the absence of jump was no different than The Secret World. Et cetera.

GW2 at least leverages it's jump action by presenting the game world in a manner of a playground. But in GW1 there was nothing in the gameplay that required a jump action.

How can one miss an action when the game has no relevance to that action?

This is not a direct question to you. The question is somewhat rhetorical as I understand the psychology behind the desire to jump in games. But the illogical desire for it is alien to me.

the trinity (i really dislike the trinity in PvP games as it creates false dependencies and because people like to level as healers makes for a game that can never be balanced as devs have to give healers damage).
    There is no role trinity in Guild Wars 1.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2014-02-02 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    GW2 at least leverages it's jump action by presenting the game world in a manner of a playground. But in GW1 there was nothing in the gameplay that required a jump action.

How can one miss an action when the game has no relevance to that action?
    While (as I mentioned) I loved "click on sign post to go there" autopilot, there were also times that cutting across an outcropping would have just been easier/ made more sense, but alas, you were confined to specific areas.

That is not wholly "no jump", true. If you could walk across everything it wouldn't have mattered, but it is related.

Otherwise, it does tie in to immersion as well.