Thread: Steam issues

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Steam issues

Hey everyone!

Loving steam so far (got 80 games for it), but can barely download them after a reformat of the PC. Everytime I download something, it goes well for a minute or two, and then internet totally drops. I have to disconnect my wifi, reconnect and it works again.

And is there a way, to keep downloads going while playing games? The whole "paused" is getting on my nerves

Settings>Downloads, check "Allow downloads during gameplay".

As for your Internet problem, it might be something on your end or your ISP.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

it's a steam issue. Because when I remove the currently downloaded files, and redownload it, it works just fine. Rather odd

And this only occurs when downloading through steam? Very odd. Did you apply all current patches/ service packs/updates and did you update the drivers for your Network cards? Normally with these kinds of connection issues I would suggest router problems...

Yeah steam is weird. Got 20MB Net and get 2MB DL speed from steam yet Speedtests say its suppose to be higher. Guessing steam is just limiting speed since most people with same or higher speeds get 2 also

Quote Originally Posted by Naftc View Post
    Yeah steam is weird. Got 20MB Net and get 2MB DL speed from steam yet Speedtests say its suppose to be higher. Guessing steam is just limiting speed since most people with same or higher speeds get 2 also
    Nope,

if you have 20 Mbit you get 20/8 is about 2.5MB download speed. Which means you're actually pretty close to your actual limit.

I download from Steam with about 12 to 15MB/s.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    Nope,

if you have 20 Mbit you get 20/8 is about 2.5MB download speed. Which means you're actually pretty close to your actual limit.

I download from Steam with about 12 to 15MB/s.
    Wait..wait wait So are you telling me that for the past 2 years ATT has been scamming me... Because the person i talked with when setting it up said i would get 20MB download speed...as in the larger version of Mb or whatever.. Suppose to be 20MB download speed but they are gipping me

Deleted
    Wait..wait wait So are you telling me that for the past 2 years ATT has been scamming me... Because the person i talked with when setting it up said i would get 20MB download speed...as in the larger version of Mb or whatever.. Suppose to be 20MB download speed but they are gipping me
    You would need a 160Mb service to get 20MB/s speed on average.

Deleted
    connection speed is in Mbit (1bit=8byte), but when you download data, you se MBytes/s (as Naftc said; 20MBit/8bytes = 2,5MByte).. its same as HHD has 1000GB and real is somewhere 900GB, because they count 1000MB per GB not 1024MB, or something like that... but you get the point)
    Last edited by mmoc1de79b41cc; 2014-01-31 at 12:36 PM. Reason: typo

Well...then ATT has alot of explaining todo when they open thank you all and also sorry for hijacking your thread OP

Deleted
    They haven't scammed you unless they specifically said megabytes to you. MB can stand for Megabytes, and megabits. Data transfer like this is measured in megabits - an old 56kb modem was not 56 kilobytes, it was 56 kilobits.

1 megabit is only 0.125 megabytes. Therefore if you have 20MB download speed advertised from your company, you should expect 2.5 megabytes per second on downloads. All internet companies write MB because that is still the correct way of describing the data speed you are getting from your company. Somewhere in the terms/print it probably does say megabits, not megabytes.

Ehm, if the guy told you that your download speed would be 20MB if you bought a 20Mbit subscription, then yes. In general cable/internet providers falsely advertise Mbit as MB, so I understand the confusion when it concerns users that have absolutely no clue.

Mbit/8 = MB = actual maximum download speed.

@Shamanic
    I still think it's false advertising and should be punishable by law. MB is MB, not Mb. Mb is Mbit.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2014-01-31 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    They haven't scammed you unless they specifically said megabytes to you. MB can stand for Megabytes, and megabits. Data transfer like this is measured in megabits - an old 56kb modem was not 56 kilobytes, it was 56 kilobits.

1 megabit is only 0.125 megabytes. Therefore if you have 20MB download speed advertised from your company, you should expect 2.5 megabytes per second on downloads. All internet companies write MB because that is still the correct way of describing the data speed you are getting from your company. Somewhere in the terms/print it probably does say megabits, not megabytes.
    No they did say Megabyte

But thanks for making it clearer... Those bastards again thanks all and sorry op for stealing thread from you.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post

they may be not be scamming legally, but they sure play on the ignorance of users to embellish their product.

i do know that 8 bite = 1 octet but not many of my friend does. We have optic fiber cable at 100 MB/s speed in some city, but i had to explain why that doesn't mean 100 Mo/s to many of my friend.

question: i've always been using the word octet to design 8 bite, and the abbreviation Ko, Mo, Go. Am i wrong or both name are accepted?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 8bithamster View Post
    Hey everyone!

Loving steam so far (got 80 games for it), but can barely download them after a reformat of the PC. Everytime I download something, it goes well for a minute or two, and then internet totally drops. I have to disconnect my wifi, reconnect and it works again.

And is there a way, to keep downloads going while playing games? The whole "paused" is getting on my nerves
    What's causing it to shut down, what does your router do and say in the logs?

Deleted
    Could it be a firewall issue? Have you tried running it with no firewalls/virus scanners etc. up?

Have no issues anymore somehow. oddly enough, it only does it to a few games.

Ones I noticed so far:

Anno 2070
    Fear: Extraction Point
    Civ 5

Next time it happens I will try to check out the router info5

No, they weren't scamming you. Companies measure in Mbps and your download speed is measured in MB/s. Here's a calculator. Basically 1 Mbps is equivalent to 0.125 Mb/s roughly.

No they did say Megabyte

But thanks for making it clearer... Those bastards again thanks all and sorry op for stealing thread from you.
    No, they didn't. As much as I dislike having their service, you are wrong. Look here http://www.att.com/shop/internet.html , it clearly says Mbps. You (like most) assumed that Mbps was the equivalent of MB/s.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    No, they weren't scamming you. Companies measure in Mbps and your download speed is measured in MB/s. Here's a calculator. Basically 1 Mbps is equivalent to 0.125 Mb/s roughly.

No, they didn't. As much as I dislike having their service, you are wrong. Look here http://www.att.com/shop/internet.html , it clearly says Mbps. You (like most) assumed that Mbps was the equivalent of MB/s.
    Talking to a person on the phone who uses the phrase mbps (saying it in that order) actually would be promising MBps. It's borderline fraud the way providers have been promoting internet over the past years anyway, especially with spoken commercials. The only problem is that spoken agreements aren't subject to law in many countries.

My god, 45Mb/s for $65? hah!

I hope they're cable or..nah they're not glass, cable tops, because ADSL probably doesn't even reach anywhere near the maximum.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    Talking to a person on the phone who uses the phrase mbps (saying it in that order) actually would be promising MBps. It's borderline fraud the way providers have been promoting internet over the past years anyway, especially with spoken commercials. The only problem is that spoken agreements aren't subject to law in many countries.

My god, 45Mb/s for $65? hah!

I hope they're cable or..nah they're not glass, cable tops, because ADSL probably doesn't even reach anywhere near the maximum.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post

No Luce the girl i talked to when i was setting it up did say Megabyte i remember it because she talked me into going from a 15-20 for just 5 extra dollars a month but looking at the plans even then they were still screwing me over. But i did call them today and got a few months comped because i explained to them the difference. I do know the differences between the two my service girl didn't. Hell the guy i talked to today didn't so gave me right to his supervisor/manager dude. Also got my discount planned extended for 6 months on top of the few months free. They know they did something wrong other wise they wouldn't have given that much for free. I'm also a very nice person when on the phone about issues.